• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Glass half full?

So, just as the week one shutout against an inferior offense (I think Morgan got shutout again today) was not a true measure of what kind of D we have, hopefully the 8 TD's we surrendered today isn't either. Gotta tip your hat to UM; there QB is the real deal, & so are some of there other skill players. Keep in mind they hung half a hundred on Texas last week.

As far as the other side of the ball, for his 1st career start, against an FBS squad, I liked what I saw from Stover. 21-36, over 200 yds & 2 TD's, plus over 50 yds running. We actually left some points on the field in the 1st half, when Stover missed a wide open receiver in the end zone & then RA eschewed the FG & went for it on 4th down (I would have kicked the FG there, but ultimately the decision not to had no real bearing on the outcome).  I'll go so far as to say I wouldn't mind Stover remaining the starter going forward.

On to St. Francis of PA who is 2-0, though they opened with a W against a D2 team and beat Wagner today (no idea if Wagner is any good). St. Francis' QB is a transfer from the U of Houston (Bear Fenimore-great name for a QB) and they'll be playing at home, so we have our work cut out.

• Like 1

I agree stover handle the situation he was in well.gotta some how get the running game going perhaps try a power back once in a while they got one if they use him.defensive line is good I like what I see from them

Stover did okay, I thought. His throws on easy-to-complete dump-offs were high and the receiver could make no YAC. And the interception he threw in the second quarter (returned for a long TD) was a head-scratcher. He didn't know when to throw the ball away. His running style is odd -- he kind of chugs along and seems tentative. But he gained more yards than anyone else.

St. Francis worries me. They were a hard-hitting team last year. We'll need to play well.

I think we played better than I thought I was some what pleased with this game. I think we could have made the score look a little better. This is one of the few years where we can't figure out the the run game but my gut tells me Simpson comes alive next week. Ryan looked good but want to see MM healthy and in a clear sky game.

The Stover is young in the system the mistake he made is what expect playing against a big 10 team .he is only a game and a half into his career.what worries me is the offense is very pass heavy every team on every level needs a running. I coach on a high school level the running game takes so much pressure off young QB

Being at the game today, I commented to someone I was with that we weren't fast enough to run wide on MD & Simpson and Platt weren't big enough to run straight up the middle on them.

We really do need to start establishing the run. I hope we can begin doing that next week vs St. Francis.

The 3 RB they are good with Sampson being the best.but you can't run inside plays with any of them.99 yards on the ground QB had the most yards today.last week they had less then that.seems like very few teams like power backs that run north and south anymore every program should have a power guy to soften the defense up for the small fast guy.

I like the fact that we didn't roll over once we went down 21-0.  Fought back, got a score, and if you take away the pick-6 and the missed receiver in the end zone that then led to the 4th down miss at the end of the half, who knows, maybe they're only down 7-10 going into half instead of 28-7.  Twerps are just too talented across the board for us and I hope the defense doesn't get down on themselves but instead, learns from bad tackling and taking bad angles.  Use this game as a learning tool to help them in the CAA.  It sounded like Stover got his legs underneath him a little bit midway thru the 1st and those short passes helped him along.  But I agree with Ironman....if there's no consistent running game, it won't matter who's under center, that offense is going to struggle.  It was getting very tiring hearing about our backs running into stone walls in the line for minimal gains.

I was stuck listening to Johnny Holiday on XM today and the only thing more excruciating than that was sitting in stop & go traffic throughout half of South Carolina.  Basic radio play by play is ballcarrier, where he advances it, yards gained, next down and distance.  I found myself wondering what the hell was going on throughout the game.  On a couple of the Twerps long scores, he didn't pick up the yard mark until like the 20 or 15 and I'm like, 'how the hell did he get there so quickly?'.  On our first score, they were in the middle of a scoreboard update and they come back and we're in the end zone.  I've been told that Johnny is an institution but he and his analyst left a ton to be desired calling that game.

Can't believe we're focusing on the running game, which should be fine if they start the right players up front. The focus should be on the defense, which was completely humiliated today. I didn't get why we didn't have 3 cornerbacks in almost every down against 4 wide receivers. We never blitzed a freshman qb, basically took no chances and still gave up big play after big play mainly on the ground. The tackling was pathetic, especially against D.J. Moore, who is a tremendous receiver. Give Md credit but I'm incredibly concerned about the defense and wondering what the **** we are doing in terms of scheme and recruiting. 

Even though the defense wasn't good they are still further along then the offense.thats why so much talk on the running game at least from my stand point.defence is going to be ok in the caa but just ok .