• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Glass half full?

I feel your pain on the D, but it begs the question of just how, after 2 games, do we assess this D? Is it the D that pitched a shutout in week 1 or the D that got destroyed in week 2? I suggest the answer is obviously somewhere in between.  Week 1 we played an inferior offense; week 2, a superior one. I'm almost inclined to say burn the film from yesterday's defensive disaster and move on. Next week against St. Francis, who is far better than Morgan State's O, but not as good as U MD, should be telling. Honestly, I've got a bad feeling about this game, but time will tell.

ROUTED!  There was not one facet of the game that improved enough from week 1 to week 2.  Cannot run the football because the talent/health of the personnel up front won't allow for it.  As much as I hate to admit this, Towson  will not  be close to being in the national FCS discussion this season.  

Actually, the passing game improved from week 1 to 2. Week 1 saw 85 yds passing, 3 INT's & 0 TD's. Week 2 saw over 200 yds passing, 2 INT's (one was a horrible pass. The other, the DB made a nice play) & 2 TD's.

We still got routed, but, realistically, what did you expect? U MD dropped 51 on Texas the week before. So, if Stover doesn't throw a pic 6, U MD scores 56 yesterday. What do San Jose State, Charlotte & ECU have in common? They're all FBS programs who had 55 or 56 pts scored on them yesterday (their might be other FBS schools who got similarly torched, as I haven't seen the west coast scores). The point is, routs like this are going to happen from time-to-time.

Check back with me after the St. Francis game. If we lose that one (and especially if we get drubbed) then I'm inclined to say we're looking at a 3-4 win season. But, if we can pull next week out, we enter CAA play (which ultimately will determine whether we have a successful season or not) with a 2-1 record.

From a coaching stand point talent injuries play calling you can put all that in the equation.but at the end of the day motivate these young men to do there job.as I said onetime before in this room x and o are the same.you can have 5 star guys all over the field but if you can't motivate them to just do there job.some teams just come straight at you nothing fancy and still win don't make it complicated for these young guys just sell them on doing there job at all cost

The gap between Towson and UMd should not be as wide as what we all witnessed yesterday.  This is not 1980, 1990 or 2005.  A top tier 1aa football program that competes for national championships should always be competitive against a mid level power 5 school.   A top tier 1aa program should put up a fight against a top 25. 1a team.  So......

We shouldn't be using St. Francis as a measuring stick but that's where we are as a program right now. We're playing some true freshmen not because we want to because we have to due to injuries. Platt shouldn't be playing this much and certainly not in short yardage (WTF?). But with C.J. Williams down, he's getting time. Same with Rodney Dorsey with Leatherbury hurt, he's got to be a rotation receiver. Same with Tsimis. I guess we should have known taking two grad transfers with injury histories in Tsimis and Williams, not to really depend on them. That's why Jabari Allen and Dorsey become such key players along with Greenwood and Kilgore. Add Stover, Carnesale, Rusolillo, Ventemiglia, and some new FBs and TEs and there are so many new parts on offense. I'm not down on the offense though the running game is definitely a concern. I think they'll figure that out. You're not going to run all over Maryland with Shane and Platt, two small backs with very few holes.

Defense is the concern. Supposedly they are learning a new scheme but it seems like same old, same old crap to me.

1 minute ago, RundaPower said:

The gap between Towson and UMd should not be as wide as what we all witnessed yesterday.  This is not 1980, 1990 or 2005.  A top tier 1aa football program that competes for national championships should always be competitive against a mid level power 5 school.   A top tier 1aa program should put up a fight against a top 25. 1a team.  So......

That ship has sailed after 2014. We're not a top tier FCS program, not even close. I thought we'd be back in 2015 and were close to being that team until the Elon disaster. Last year was a huge setback but as we have seen, it's not just about Ellis making mistakes at qb. However, I don't think we can just throw out this season after a fast Maryland team put up 56 offensive points against us after nearly doing the same last week against Texas. That offense is freaking explosive and would do the same to most average to below average defenses in FBS and elite FCS programs.

1 minute ago, RundaPower said:

Btw. That was one Of the worst exhibitions of defensive tackling I have ever seen. How can a coaching staff let that happen?

Yup, I'm afraid of watching it again. Rob thought his kids would gain confidence from watching the film from all the good things they did yesterday. Maybe they can just edit out the 25-30 missed tackles.

Please also remind yourselves that St Francis is not  funding more that 35 scholarships! Also, they don't fund a summer school program etc

Edited by RundaPower