• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

UMass dominates MLax, 14-10

Not going to beat a dead horse and only saw highlights... But wow outplayed like that in the first half is hard to imagine. Crazy because weekend rankings had Towson at #8..

Whenever any of the teams we care about on here have any success it is usually early.  Past examples 2018 Football, 2019 Lacrosse, 2017-18 Basketball.  Is it once teams start to take notice or there is film on us the reason why other teams catch up and we struggle at the end?  If so and I am not saying this to get rid of anyone, but are coaching staffs not making any adjustments and still thinking previous success will continue to work?

It just seems to be the same narrative Towson (fill in the blank sports team) is off to a great start, they are ranked, moving up the ranks, getting votes etc.  Then there is one game where everything changes and in the case of football and lacrosse we just seem to be hanging on to early season success in hopes that gets us into the tournament.  Why doesn't our success last the whole year?  Look I know in the case of the lacrosse team it was a perfect storm of things that got us to #1 in the country.  No one thought we would stay there, but to get dominated at home by UMASS and not appearing to HAVE to win the tournament to get in something is just not right with our teams once we hit the home stretch

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

Whenever any of the teams we care about on here have any success it is usually early.  Past examples 2018 Football, 2019 Lacrosse, 2017-18 Basketball.  Is it once teams start to take notice or there is film on us the reason why other teams catch up and we struggle at the end?  If so and I am not saying this to get rid of anyone, but are coaching staffs not making any adjustments and still thinking previous success will continue to work?

It just seems to be the same narrative Towson (fill in the blank sports team) is off to a great start, they are ranked, moving up the ranks, getting votes etc.  Then there is one game where everything changes and in the case of football and lacrosse we just seem to be hanging on to early season success in hopes that gets us into the tournament.  Why doesn't our success last the whole year?  Look I know in the case of the lacrosse team it was a perfect storm of things that got us to #1 in the country.  No one thought we would stay there, but to get dominated at home by UMASS and not appearing to HAVE to win the tournament to get in something is just not right with our teams once we hit the home stretch

This is unfortunately the truth. It always seems like the teams "peak" too soon.  Don't know about lacrosse, but the other sports it seems like they are "my way or the highway" to their approaches and stuck in their ways.  Add in, ZERO pressure to win, and lengthy extensions, = complacency from top to bottom

I’m sure there was zero pressure to win in football this year. 

As for lax, some of that goes on the coaching staff. Teams have adjusted to our offense. They are getting back in transition and some of it is just as plain lack of intensity and hunger. The worst thing that could have happened to us was being ranked number one. I thought it was great at the time but we didn’t handle having a target on our backs very well.

Nads lamented in the post-game presser that the team failed to apply what they'd practiced to the game. It's not the first time he's seemed baffled by his players' lack of passion/focus. We've all praised him as a coach, but the fact is that he's not a rah-rah guy, not a motivator. That's a problem this year.

Didn't spot this in early season posts and don't follow MLAX too close, but why did a 2018 all-rookie selection who started 15 games leave the team in January?

kOJyhyGH_bigger.jpg
·
10m Former@Towson_MLAX attackman Phil Wies will transfer to@TerrierMLAX
for the fall. The Loyola Blakefield (Md.) grad started all 15 games for the Tigers as a freshman and was named a CAA All-Rookie selection before leaving the team in January.

I am not sure he would have helped much this year. Was a good feeder but I think Fromert is more athletic. 

I still think Nads is a good motivator and a great coach. We have not had the best recruiting classes the last few years. The last big year we had was Drenner,  Seider,etc. That group graduated two years ago. I have been ( and still am) a varsity basketball coach at a public school and an assistant lacrosse coach at one of the top private schools in the Baltimore area. Towson is not an easy sell for lacrosse. The players and their parents all want the blue blood schools. The Drenner class was comprised of Baltimore area public school kids.  You can get the 30-40% scholarship and in state tuition. A good deal for most parents.  I don't think there is a lot of talent to recruit in the public schools right now. The private schools dominate.  Last year Towson had a lot of commitments from private school kids. Zimnoch and Reid were good high school players.  It is great to get a kid from Landon and next year from Bullis and McDonogh.  But if you look at the future 80 to 90% of the commitments are from out of state which I have no problems with. I have seen the excellent talent in areas like Florida, Georgia, Texas, and the San Diego up to Orange County area. The sport has exploded and it will be interesting to see how things turn out for Towson.  Getting transfers will still be key for the Tigers.  

• Like 1

I love Coach N, but the fact is...if a kid has a choice to go to a Loyola, Georgetown, Hopkins, Maryland or Towson......the pecking order is obvious. As great as Coach N is...and he is as good as you get.....university reputation, goes a long way. He has done a remarkable job given the recruiting difficulties of the sport that he has to deal with in this particular sport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

I love Coach N, but the fact is...if a kid has a choice to go to a Loyola, Georgetown, Hopkins, Maryland or Towson......the pecking order is obvious. As great as Coach N is...and he is as good as you get.....university reputation, goes a long way. He has done a remarkable job given the recruiting difficulties of the sport that he has to deal with in this particular sport. 

That’s why you need to get the blue collar lacrosse players instead of the blue bloods. Those who don’t have the money to spend on partial scholarships to blue blood schools. That was the old Carl Runk motto but three Final Fours and the recruiting is not where it needs to be, especially on offense. They really missed the boat on adding another transfer or two on offense.