• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2020 Basketball offers

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

We’re going to offer 1 kid from each state in the union 😆

I know, according to verbalcommits, we have longstanding offers out to DMV kids, but offering all these kids from around the country doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re a P5 school, I can see see it, but, given our location, & our lack of national name recognition, I don’t understand why we don’t simply recruit between Philly to the north & Virginia to the south. There’s a ton of talent in that geographic zone & these offers to kids from California, Ohio & so forth make no sense to me.

Where was Brian Fobbs from? New York city. We have two kids from Boston. No doubt, PS and Coach Clark have contacts in New England. Don't care if they get them from Alaska or Mars. All that name recognition in the DMV doesn't always help if you are competing with GMU, VCU, Richmond, Delaware, Morgan, Howard, VMI, UMBC, Coppin, Hampton, Loyola, Navy, Del State, W&M, GW, just to name a few local mid-majors. And then many of those kids want to leave the area.

I have no problem recruiting Cali or the midwest because those kids might come back as transfers if you don't get them first. I'm sure we know many of these 2020 offers are longshots. 

12 hours ago, TSU88 said:

We’re going to offer 1 kid from each state in the union 😆

I know, according to verbalcommits, we have longstanding offers out to DMV kids, but offering all these kids from around the country doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re a P5 school, I can see see it, but, given our location, & our lack of national name recognition, I don’t understand why we don’t simply recruit between Philly to the north & Virginia to the south. There’s a ton of talent in that geographic zone & these offers to kids from California, Ohio & so forth make no sense to me.

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Where was Brian Fobbs from? New York city. We have two kids from Boston. No doubt, PS and Coach Clark have contacts in New England. Don't care if they get them from Alaska or Mars. All that name recognition in the DMV doesn't always help if you are competing with GMU, VCU, Richmond, Delaware, Morgan, Howard, VMI, UMBC, Coppin, Hampton, Loyola, Navy, Del State, W&M, GW, just to name a few local mid-majors. And then many of those kids want to leave the area.

I have no problem recruiting Cali or the midwest because those kids might come back as transfers if you don't get them first. I'm sure we know many of these 2020 offers are longshots. 

Agree with Mat.  Who cares where they come from as long as they stay and can play!  I'd rather them from further away, less friends, family and AAU/high school coaches in their ears. 

While we have had some success with some players from DMV/Philly, a lot did not work out: -Martin, Gorham, Hawkins, Matthews, Mormon, McGlynn, Drayton.

Ok, so I’m playing devil’s advocate here & ask the following-who have been the impactful players (even if they ultimately transferred) during the Skerry era (I’m not talking about “try hard” guys like TPR or role players like EK). I say those players are Benimon, Davis, Morsell, ZM, Gorham & Fobbs. Maybe Timberlake & Solomon U will eventually get there, but they’re not there yet. What do all those players, with the exception of Fobbs, have in common? They all came from the corridor between Philly & VA

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Ok, so I’m playing devil’s advocate here & ask the following-who have been the impactful players (even if they ultimately transferred) during the Skerry era (I’m not talking about “try hard” guys like TPR or role players like EK). I say those players are Benimon, Davis, Morsell, ZM, Gorham & Fobbs. Maybe Timberlake & Solomon U will eventually get there, but they’re not there yet. What do all those players, with the exception of Fobbs, have in common? They all came from the corridor between Philly & VA

Hence why I stated, we have had some success with local players staying, their last 2 or full 4 years.