• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MLax going dancing; beats Drexel 16-14 to win CAA title

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/5/4/eight-is-great-as-mens-lacrosse-captures-eighth-caa-championship.aspx

Towson certainly got a break when Drexel upset UMass in the semifinals and they took advantage of it, beating the Dragons, 16-14 in the finals on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers had a 7-goal lead going into the fourth quarter and held the ball for the most part, not attempting to score and the Dragons scored five straight to nearly come back. 

Luke Formert had another big game with four goals, while Brendan Sunday, Grant Maloof and Brody McLean added three goals apiece. Timmy Monahan added two goals and four assists. Sunday was named the Tournament MVP. While the defense wasn't sharp at times, they did cause 10 turnovers. Koby Smith had one and three ground balls. Jack McNallen struggled at the X, winning just 10 of 33. Tyler Canto made 17 saves and several big ones.

Now the biggest question on Selection Sunday is whether Towson gets a home game. Unfortunately, it could come against Hopkins or Loyola. I'd rather face UMBC of course.

• Like 1

Nice for them to win and make it back to the Tourney. I just would love for a Towson team to go for the kill and jugular just once and finish teams off. But a win is a win.  Hopefully we don’t get stuck with a rematch Of a local win in the first round. 

That 4th Q was getting a little slippery... But good win. Excited to see what they can accomplish in the NCAA's

Great job by Coach Nads and staff.  I thought Monahan, Sunday and Fromert were our three best offensive players and Koby Smith, Mo Silah, Boden and Canto were outstanding on the defensive end. I am expecting to play Hopkins, Loyola or possibly Maryland.  There is the whole geographic component to the match-ups.  With Denver losing it will be interesting to see where Notre Dame ends up.

22 minutes ago, TUvet said:

Great job by Coach Nads and staff.  I thought Monahan, Sunday and Fromert were our three best offensive players and Koby Smith, Mo Silah, Boden and Canto were outstanding on the defensive end. I am expecting to play Hopkins, Loyola or possibly Maryland.  There is the whole geographic component to the match-ups.  With Denver losing it will be interesting to see where Notre Dame ends up.

Don't forget a rematch with Georgetown.

Our defense wasn't great today but the one thing I'm getting used to as that you need to score goals to win. Not just 7 or 8 but 12-14 at a minimum. Look at the high scores today. Even UMBC is putting up 14 goals. If we had Woodall, we probably would have won going away and put up 18-20 goals. I think we might be able to win the first game without Woodall but after that, we would need a good matchup at the X or we are cooked.

I thought we struggled some with communication on D. Bodden is a physical D-man which isn't always a great thing in today's game but you need that since Koby is kind of undersized and Patterson isn't explosive. The fact that we have Koby for two more years is insane and Sillah or Garrett V. will move to close next season. We just need to replace Goodrich and Wilkerson, which will be tough.

Offensively, Sunday's improvement reminds me a bit of Tim Langton back in 1996, who did very little his first three years and then became an All-American as a senior. Sunday at least had a decent junior season but all of a sudden, he's a star. Also his presence makes everybody better and he's become a pretty good passer.

I agree regarding Georgetown. Matt do you have any insight regarding Woodall? Nads said something along the lines in the post game interview that he was not able to play or unavailable today. Conflicting what he has previous said. I heard it was a dental or jaw issue.  I appreciate leaving doubt in the opponents mind but I think we will have a really hard time beating any of the opponents we have mentioned without Woodall.