• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Struggling to find words

I have some words - stop playing the f’ing clock game!!!  I know you have to kill most of that time but get into something with more than 15 on the shot clock.  Just like a basketball team playing for one but the point guard pounds the ball and chucks a 30-footer.  We nearly got burned last week.  We did get burned today.  And it’s capped off by a damn turnover in OT.  At least get a shot in overtime and then you can say you tried.  

Overall, we limited the turnovers, though we had a bad one in regulation that led to Md. taking a two-goal lead. In the coulda/woulda category, we missed a layup when we have a 10-8 lead -- another example of our lack of killer instinct. And I agree with Chris Datres that our final possession in regulation was piss-poor. It's like we decided we would play prevent defense with 23 seconds left rather than make a real effort to go up two and put a dagger in the Terps' heart. I blame that on the coaches.

Disagree about the last possession. You have to hold and wait for the double team. When you realize they weren’t going to double is when Nads should have used the last timeout. Of course, how the flying f-ck do you allow their best player to get a clean shot.

Didn’t see the second half but from what I’ve read it’s the same thing that happens in all the sports. We never hold a lead. Always let teams into it late football basketball lacrosse. But for a team that started the season unranked, they had a good year 

52 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Disagree about the last possession. You have to hold and wait for the double team. When you realize they weren’t going to double is when Nads should have used the last timeout. Of course, how the flying f-ck do you allow their best player to get a clean shot.

As Spiro called the final play and it got to 7 seconds, I’m like ‘just take a penalty’.  Can’t let their best player even have a sniff of a chance.  

Unfortunately, this is what we do with lacrosse - can’t put games away.  Drexel, Duke, Denver, Ohio State in the Final Four a couple years ago.  Gotta play to win and stop this ‘play it safe’ business.  

We're not talented enough to play reckless. We're just not. There's no right or wrong answer about protecting a lead in any sports, which is difficult. But these are 19-22 year old kids. That's why you call a timeout there. Their goaltender was playing lights out. If you take a shot with 40 seconds left and he saves it, they have plenty of time to get a game-tying shot and with the way Canto is playing, I'd say they had a very good chance. The bottom line is that Tillman guessed right. I was there in the press conference and he said we just decided not to double. At that point, you have to do something more than hold the ball and let your defense/shaky goaltender decide the game. Run a play for Sunday and if he gets doubled again, he'll dish it off. If not, shoot it. 

When Spiro said take a penalty, don't you think Nads and the new DC should have told them that if they had taken a timeout?

I was not listening to Spiro but I was screaming foul as well. The right decision was made in running the clock down and shooting near the end of the shot clock. .  What occurred afterward is where we blew it. I love Mo Silah but there was no pressure on the ball or on the feeders hands. That is like Tom Brady standing in the pocket with no pressure. It appeared Bernhardt came off a double screen to get open. You have got to switch on that. It was a great shot but Canto was getting beat off stick side high all game and was beaten off stick side again. It was a great shot but there was no pressure on the feeder and Bernhardt had his hands free to shoot. Foul the crap out of him but you can't let them get a free look. I thought a key was at the end of the 3rd qtr. Frommert had a one on one with the goalie and he didn't pump fake and shot high to high right in the goalies stick. The goalie is taught to go high on that shot you have go to move him. That would have put us up 3. I think we played zone five possessons and they scored on three of them including the winning goal. I thought as poorly as Canto was seeing the ball and the shooters UMD had we played too much zone.  

We had this one. I feel awful for a talented senior class.