• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football update

Since it's a slow day, let me update you guys through my own depth chart. Still waiting on a few transfers to be officially committed on both lines. Still haven't heard of a big back coming so I guess it's going to be Yeedee for those tough yards. Kind of puzzling considering he and Shane are both seniors and you need depth at that spot. At right guard, they are still looking, the last I heard. One of the juco kids was on campus already and hasn't decided yet. Also hearing of potential additions on the D-line but again, nothing official. They also may add an OLB, which makes me wonder if they move Ricky DeBerry or Keon Paye inside. No Greaves and Brent Richardson not on the roster. Makes me wonder if they add another WR Late for depth or if talented 3* freshman Murphy plays right away.

QB Flacco, Stover/Miller (still competing)

RB Simpson, Young, Platt, Thaenrat (220+ now)

FB Luke Hamilton (freshman who was injured last year)

LT Garnett, Desire

RT Darrian Bryant (Temple transfer), John Mullens (moved from DT)

RG ????, Brendan Cassells

LG Aaron Grzymkowski

C Cole Cheripko

TE Clark, Myles Wright, Jason Epps

WR Leatherbury, Ryan Rutkowski

WR J. Allen, Caleb Smith, D'Ago Hunter

WR Darian Street, Ja'Len Elliott, Daniel Thompson

(new 3/4 scheme)

NG Vinnie Shaffer (D2 transfer), possible FBS transfer

DE Bryce Carter (6-3, 270). Marcus Bowman (6-2, 270) 

DE Jesus Gibbs (6-4, 290), Tibo Debaille (6-3, 275)

OLB Ricky DeBerry, Nygill Johnson Mantriel Reaves (6-2, 215, moved from safety)

OLB Keon Paye, Malik Tyne, John Lambert

ILB Chizrum Umunakwe (6-0, 220)

ILB Robert Heyward, Christian Dixon

S Coby Tippett, transfer?, Stanley Davis

S Jamal Gay

CB Terrell Gillette, Robert Javier

CB Brandon Shuman, Troy Vincent, Jirhe Love

• Like 2

The basic point is that they are really focusing on the defensive side in the offseason, especially the line and at safety. We were horrible against the run last season and while statistically not awful against the pass, we certainly gave up way too many big plays and forced very few turnovers in the passing game. Last season for example, N. Cook went down with an injury, Tibo Debaille was out and we were sunk up front. Zain Harps-Upshur was also not 100% so the line was a mess. Lack of communication in the secondary led to Lyndon Johnson moving to ST coach. All the changes should improve the defensve overall as we're getting bigger and stronger. Still not sure that means more pressure up front and improved secondary play but we'll see.

The offensive line is the key to the offense. More push up front is a must in the running game.

Thanks for the updates. Always nice to read new posts during this slow time of the year.

Its a Captain Obvious statement, but we’ve got to be able to win in the trenches. I don’t care how many skilled players we have, if we’re deficient on the O-Line and/or D-Line, we’re sunk. The best pass defense isn’t good secondary players (though it’s nice when you have them) but rather it’s the other teams QB running for his life and hopefully noticing how pretty the sky is as he looks up after getting knocked on his ass. 

Really hoping for good news on the transfer front before summer camp

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

hopefully they practice some in the rain.  And learn to stop the run up the middle..

They practiced in 30 degree weather in February for a reason. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Thanks for the updates. Always nice to read new posts during this slow time of the year.

Its a Captain Obvious statement, but we’ve got to be able to win in the trenches. I don’t care how many skilled players we have, if we’re deficient on the O-Line and/or D-Line, we’re sunk. The best pass defense isn’t good secondary players (though it’s nice when you have them) but rather it’s the other teams QB running for his life and hopefully noticing how pretty the sky is as he looks up after getting knocked on his ass. 

Really hoping for good news on the transfer front before summer camp

There will be good news. Maybe not as exciting as last season when we landed Flacco and DeBerry but I think they are addressing issues that should have been looked at years ago. If you have to spend more ships on the D-line, that's important. When you go back to the best teams in the history of the program, they had a solid D-line led by Farmer, Delaire and Desir. A bunch of transfer linebackers and NFL players in the secondary (Dangerfield, Tye Smith). Not a great scheme but the offense was really the best defense because they were well-rested.

The key to keeping this program strong is recruiting transfers because we can't compete with the JMUs and Delaware's when it comes to facilities and atmosphere at games. They are going to get most of the best mid-majors and some 3* guys so we need to capitalize on the FBS transfers.

And yes, getting big up front on both sides is paramount to winning in November and December. You aren't going to get 60 degrees and sunny in most cases so expect to grind it out in nasty weather with big uglies up front on both sides. Last season, I thought we had improved up front on the OL, but it wasn't good enough. On defense, we just didn't have the depth when injuries started rolling through. The loss of Tibo early on was a big loss. He had a nice freshman season and had put on about 15 pounds but had a back injury. Another juco transfer (Charles Garnett) left the program. That adds to disaster up front and Duquesne running all over us in the rain (amongst others). Now, if you get another transfer or two to add to Gibbs, Bowman, Carter and Shaffer, we won't have to rely on one guy. Tibo can be a rotation player. We'll (hopefully) have two legit nose guards unlike last season when we had one (others were walk-ons) and Zain was banged up.

For example, I'm looking at last year's depth chart for the Morgan State game.

DL Bryce Carter 6-3 262 R-So. 97 Grant Udinski 6-3 240 R-Sr.

DL 90 Zain Harps Upshur 6-6 235 R-Sr. 11 Charles Garnett 6-2 300 Jr.

DL 92 Niquekko Cook 6-5 268 R-Sr. 95 Sam Gyeni 6-0 269 So.

DL 4 Ricky DeBerry 6-1 235 R-Jr. 31 Malik Tyne 6-2 235 R-Jr.

(Yes, Zain's height and weight was wrong). We're playing a 4-3 but our bench consists of Garnett (who leaves), Gyeni (a walk-on), Tyne and Udinski. Tyne was the only one with experience and Udinkski I don't believe was a full-scholarship player, but did end up having the second-most sacks on the team with 4.5. 

This year, we should have a much stronger two-deep.

They really played 2018 with 1 true interior DL.  Injuries and a departure in week 4 were the reasons.  I expect a much better front and an overall much better defense.