• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Let's talk Towson Hall of Fame

Again, slow summer topic. I want to go over future candidates for the Hall of Fame. I'll just stick to football, basketball, and lacrosse. If you want to throw in other sports, fine. Remember, they have to graduate and last played 10 years ago. I'll start the list with some obvious ones even if it's not 10 years and from what I heard, they all graduated but I don't know 100%. Let's face it. Some of these are politically motivated. If you were a borderline HOFer and gave a ton of $$$, I think you have a good shot of getting in.

https://towsontigers.com/hof.aspx

Football:

DL Frank Beltre (2012) . He was named first-team all-Colonial Athletic Association his final two seasons. Spent 5 seasons in CFL.

LB Brian Bradford (2008): 4th all-time in tackles. PD Moore (2004) just made it so Bradford should also be in. Both outstanding linebackers.

WR Marcus Lee (2008): All-time leading receiver in receptions but just 6th all-time in yards. Tough call.

QB Sean Schaefer (2008): Set most of the passing records. Tough to judge receivers that era because we were basically a run-and-shoot team.

RB Darius Victor (2016): Third-all time leading rusher with 3,309 yards. Second-team All-CAA.

RB Terrance West (2013*). Jerry Rice Award Winner for Top FCS Rookie. All-time leading rusher at Towson in just three seasons. Broke 4 NCAA FCS records. No-brainer assuming he graduated.

I think you can make a great case for guys that played from 2011-13: DE Ryan Delaire (22.5 sacks in 2 years), S Jordan Dangerfield (first team All-CAA), CB Tye Smith (first and second team All-CAA), OT Eric Pike, C Doug Shaw, RT Randall Harris. 

Basketball

(sadly, only definite in the last 20 years)

F Jerrelle Benimon 2x CAA Player of the Year

only other candidate is:

Mike Morsell (2018): Finished seventh in program history with 1,523 points … Also ended ranked second in 3-point field goal attempts (459), third in 3-pointers made (150), fourth in starts (103) fifth in made free throws (335), sixth in free throw attempts (457) and sixth in program history in field goal attempts (1,218) …  Three-time All-CAA honoree … 

MLax:

Ryan Drenner and Joe Seider should be no-brainers but will have to wait about 9 years along with Zach Goodrich. 

How in the world is Brad Reppert (2002) not in? He is 10th in points and 10th in goals with 92. Part of one of the best attacks in school history with Ryan Obloj (who also could be in) and Kyle Campbell that went to final four. Also D Adam Baxter from that team should be in. How in the world is face-off man Justin Berry the only player from that Final Four team in the HOF (unless nobody graduated). Baxter was a 3rd team AA and a HM AA.

Matt Clune (1998😞 Another terrific player with 185 points, still good for third all-time. Stunned that he's not in. Also had some great defensive short stick middies in Casey Cittadino, Jack Adams and Peter Mezzanotte. Dan Cocchi also not in which is shocking. He was a 2x HM All-American and one of the greatest LSM to ever play here. Adams a third team and second team AA. He's a no-brainer along with FOGO Alex Woodall in 10 years.

• Like 1

Sad commentary about the dearth of HOF candidates from MBB. When the time comes, Morsell has got be in, IMHO. 

Agree with all of those listed.

Not going to get in, but I would put Marcus Damas up there too.  3 years, solid player, leader on and off the court.  Committed to a team that was awful and played his first year on an even worse team. But I feel like he laid the foundation for what is mens hoops today. With that said it would have been to have him here for 4 years.

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agree with all of those listed.

Not going to get in, but I would put Marcus Damas up there too.  3 years, solid player, leader on and off the court.  Committed to a team that was awful and played his first year on an even worse team. But I feel like he laid the foundation for what is mens hoops today. With that said it would have been to have him here for 4 years.

Damas is a good pick. Don’t think he has many accolades though but became a very good defender. 

Another player who has been overlooked is Mike Burke.  He was Towson’s all time leading goal scorer in men’s lacrosse when he graduated in 1982.  He is still number 6 all time and is number 9 all time in assists.  He helped Towson transition from D-2 to D-1.   Big oversite by the committee thru the years in my opinion

37 minutes ago, Spiro Morekas said:

Another player who has been overlooked is Mike Burke.  He was Towson’s all time leading goal scorer in men’s lacrosse when he graduated in 1982.  He is still number 6 all time and is number 9 all time in assists.  He helped Towson transition from D-2 to D-1.   Big oversite by the committee thru the years in my opinion

Hey Spiro. Before my time but you're right about Burke. Some of the omissions are odd. I know you can't put everybody who was a good player in the HOF. They had to make a great impact. Looking at the lacrosse HOFers, there seems to be a ton of guys who should be in from the 80s and early 2000s. This has been our most consistently strong men's sport in the history of the program. It should be better represented. Three Final Fours in D1 and a national title in D2. How about nine conference tournament titles in D1? How about 21 freakin' NCAA Tournament appearances, including 15 in D1. So 27 MLax HOFers is not enough.

Mat I was surprised when you said Adam Baxter and Danny Cocchi aren’t in. Had to look it up cause I couldn’t believe it.  They too should be no brainers.

Also, closer to my heart, Serge Hogg who led Towson to its first ever America East golf championship.  Then known as the North Atlantic. Snapped Hartford’s run of I think 12 straight conference championships.

Both should be in by now. That 2001 team was one of the most overlooked squads and Tony Seaman helped put Towson lacrosse back on the map after a few off-years. I also think Reppert or Obloj should go in. Tim Langton is in off one great season in 1996 and earned first-team AA. He had 27 goals as a senior and 31 goals in his first three seasons.