• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First practice update

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/8/10/football-completes-first-week-of-camp-holds-first-scrimmage.aspx

So, hoping to see a lot of the newcomers out there today and many of them were out due to conditioning, injuries, etc. Grzymkowski was missing at left guard so r-freshman Alex Desire stepped in. Brown Tuiasosopo was out due to conditioning so right guard was a revolving door. Cheripko played some there along with Marshall transfer Olawle Layeni (6-3, 335), who is an absolute monster but doesn't move particularly well. Former DT John Mullins (6-5, 300) also played time there. DeMarcus Gilmore (6-4, 360) played right tackle because Temple transfer Darian Bryant (6-5, 320) was out. Gilmore is pretty athletic for his size.

You get the picture. Same thing with the D-Line. Didn't get to see Jesus Gibbs, the SC transfer or Neb. transfer Quashon Alexander. We are definitely going with a 3-4 scheme and those guys will be a part of it along with Tibo Debaille (6-3, 290), Vinnie Shaffer (6-0, 310), Bryce Carter and Marcus Bowman, who looks really good. Not sure who will start but we will be quick. Ricky DeBerry was out with an ankle issue. None of these injuries to key players are serious thus far. Not that I've heard of anyhow. 

On offense, Flacco was as good as usual. A lot of competition at third receiver. Daniel Thompson, Darran Street and Ryan Rutkowski will all see time along with Leatherbury and Allen. Really impressed with freshman Charles Murphy (6-2, 180). Made a nice fingertip catch from Jeff Miller, who has been kind of erratic since the spring. I think Ryan Stover keeps the backup job and next spring, I'm sure they'll bring in 1-2 qb transfers. Nice catch and long run by Collin Hirschmann (6-6, 247), who is a r-freshman. Not really known for his receiving. Thompson continues to impress for a freshman and Street is another explosive receiver with good size.

Kobe Young, Yeedee Thenrat (surgery) and Adrian Platt were out as well nursing minor injuries so a lot of time for Shane Simpson with the ones. Again, that's why I thought they would bring in another back. 

A little surprised to see Gillette and Shuman back at the starting cornerbacks. I guess that could change. Troy Vincent has been moved to linebacker and that could be a strong move to see him in coverage. Robert Topps, the transfer from Kansas, looks sensational. He was playing free safety, strong safety, might play some corner. He's 6-2, 205 and long. 

Here are some comments from RA after the practice:

On first scrimmage

"Got to evaluate a lot of young guys, who is going to be help us in the fall. Schematically some of the additions, what they can do well and what they can't do."

"Today was a complete evaluation. There is going to be a lot of up and downs. Just throwing kids out here and evaluating. Throwing things up against the wall, see if it sticks.

"By the time we get to Wednesday or Thursday of next week, things start to get pared down. Things get honed toward the real deal. Not just about football, but where will guys play. Probably 25% of that next Saturday of what the real is next Saturday. The Tuesday after is what will be real."

On the offensive line

"Ok. It's a revolving door. (Grzymkowski) not being 100% healthy, with Cassells not being 100% health, with Brown (Tuiasosopo) just getting here, we will have a lot of work to do but I like where we are going. We are bigger, stronger. Darrian Bryant is on the sideline. Should be here by Monday. Finnish kid just showed up yesterday. Needed Immigration stuff. We have some big people on the offensive line. Bryant and Gilmore are playing around at right guard, right tackle. Cheripko has played them all during camp. Brown hasn't had a chance to compete but we like what he can be. Throwing him in the mix with the guards and centers. The depth and size has gotten really good. The competition makes them better."

On moving OL to DL

"Don't need to. Vinny (Shaffer) is playing well. Marcus Bowman is having a tremendous camp. Bowman and Shaffer have taking it up a level and raising the play of everybody and Bryce Carter is playing well. Robert Heyward is having a great camp. Chiz was in an out. Ricky (Deberry) was playing great before he hurt his ankle. Malik (Tyne) is playing well. The group themselves seems really solid. They take a lot better than we did last season. Keon Paye had a solid and consistent day. That's a big step for him.

On Robert Topps

"He's long. I'd like to see him put on some poundage but he's a really smart kid. Hard working. Figured out the defense fast. The guys have taken him. Testament to the coaches and recruiting. We've adopted these guys immediately. He can play corner."

Shuman is playing the right techniques. Coach Brown has done a great job on the back end. A year ago, we picked the defense apart. We covered extremely well, which is why Tom ran a lot (and ran well). We didn't throw it as much because we covered so well."

On WR Charles Murphy

"With the four game rule (redshirting), if they know what they are doing, they are going to play. He's on that cusp that he's going to see his four games. Then we are going to evaluate where he is and whether his body can take it."

On third WR

"Rutkowski is Sam (Gallahan) 2.0. He's a bit taller and thicker. (He points towards Roman Warheit at 6-7, 350, running sprints after practice). Street, Thompson and Rut, Don't sell out D'Ago Hunter. That group is deep and strong. I don't know if we've ever had this many guys that were contributors."

Tight end

"Good to have Chris Clark back on a regular basis. He needs some work. I'm encouraged with Jason Epps in camp. He didn't have his best day. This is the first time he's ever put his hand down that he's a tight end (was a qb). Love what he's doing. Those two will carry the load. Hamilton will play fullback."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McDonough is probably going to be the punter. He's from Marshall. I wasn't overly impressed with him but I know they like his hangtime and potential.