• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
RundaPower

Prognosticators?

3 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Tough schedule, Flacco will be a known element this year and 4 star transfer  players on D are small and very slow.

2-10 wins over NCC and Bucknell

Damn. As much of rob hater and as negative as I am, can’t see 2-10. Schedule is tough, both teams and travel but if we had an average defense last year we wild have been better than the record. 

Can see this team being pissed off from the end of last year, getting their asses embarrassed and beat in the last two home games, and winning 8 games, or the expectations being yo great and finishing 5-7, 6-6. But 2-10 only happens if Tom get hurts 

Also, Flacco is getting older now and his speed must have been impacted over the past 12 months. All those 350lb linemen probably eat too much and will likely effect the football budget this year(that should cost us a game). oh, almost forgot about the D lwith all those 3/4* transfers  ... they could get homesick and have to call home during halftime every game.   

12 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Also, Flacco is getting older now and his speed must have been impacted over the past 12 months. All those 350lb linemen probably eat too much and will likely effect the football budget this year(that should cost us a game). oh, almost forgot about the D lwith all those 3/4* transfers  ... they could get homesick and have to call home during halftime every game.   

Alright obvious sarcasm. What does everyone else think on 2019?

Just had the third NFL team to send scouts out to watch practice. New York Jets, San Francisco and Jacksonville have come so far (that I've seen) and season hasn't started yet. Probably watching kicker Aidan O'Neill. 

Look, I think you can read most of the prognostications from the national media and they have us pretty high in the national rankings. I'm not quite drinking the kool-aid just yet. I think this should be a playoff team but is this 2013? Not sure. In 2012, we were absolutely screwed but knew we had a loaded team back the following year minus Dangerfield. Only major question was at quarterback, where Peter Athens wasn't Grant Enders, but he didn't need to be. He was an efficient passer and manged the offense well. 

The defense wasn't great in that year. They just needed to be adequate. That's what this defense needs to be-adequate. Was I thrilled seeing our same cornerback combination as last year in the first scrimmage? No, but new DC Eric Daniels must see something. Hopefully an improvement from last season and better safety play with Gay and Topps or Tippett. Faster linebackers who can cover. Nothing against Diondre Wallace because he was a solid tackler but he wasn't great in coverage and Monty Fenner did not have a great senior season.

It starts up front on both sides of the ball. If we are healthy and that's a big if on the D-line, we could be special. Again, didn't see Gibbs out there (nursing injury), DeBerry (ankle) and Alexander. All are 4 star Power 5 athletes. More speed at linebacker. A healthy Tibo up front. D2 transfer Vinny Schafer (a monster on the scout team last year) hopefully plugging the holes at nose guard. Marcus Bowman looking like a more athletic Bryce Carter. 

There is hope that Daniels can be creative with that 3-4 scheme and utilize all his weapons. Find a way to stop the run first and get some pressure.

The offensive line is impressive-looking. Can they play? I like the potential that Gilmore gives you at guard or tackle. He might need to drop 10 or so pounds but he's an agile big dude for 360. Add Bryant (6-5, 320), the Temple transfer and you might have your right side the next two seasons. Or Brown Tuiasosopo (6-3, 315) could be in the mix. He basically just go here due to becoming eligible with all the formalities of coming over from a junior college. Where is he going to play? He played left guard in juco. Could play either guard or center. Maybe nose guard? Rob said he isn't moving anybody so you have a super strong Samoan kid (maybe strongest on the team), who can start or come off the bench.

That's why I'm going next week again to see what this team might look like with everybody back on the field (or most). The potential of this team is intriguing. Nobody liked the way it ended. That's why they got bigger up front on both sides. The overall lack of consistency on defense during the season brought changes at DC and CB coach. Is that enough to beat JMU and Maine on the road? Or just getting back to the playoffs with a tough schedule?

Seriously, I have Florida as an L. I’ll be satisfied if we can split with JMU & Maine, which I believe are both road games. Then, out of Stony Brook, Elon & Delaware, 1 L is not inconceivable.

So, I see 9-3. Would love to see better & hope not to see worse. 

Of course, no one knows at this point how the newcomers will do, and the ultimate X-factor is injuries (or lack thereof). It’s fun to prognosticate, but the games are played on the field & start in less than 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Seriously, I have Florida as an L. I’ll be satisfied if we can split with JMU & Maine, which I believe are both road games. Then, out of Stony Brook, Elon & Delaware, 1 L is not inconceivable.

So, I see 9-3. Would love to see better & hope not to see worse. 

Of course, no one knows at this point how the newcomers will do, and the ultimate X-factor is injuries (or lack thereof). It’s fun to prognosticate, but the games are played on the field & start in less than 3 weeks.

With Flacco and both Shanes, we won't be boring. It's about doing the little things. Stopping teams on third downs and converting more TDs in the red zone and less FGs. In 2011-13, we had a once-in-a-lifetime type of running back. He was worth watching each and every game because you didn't know if he'd have 100 yards or 300. Flacco could be that guy at quarterback. He's special. Let's have fun watching that offense and hopefully the team not just meets excpectations; they exceed them.

• Like 1