• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Second scrimmage update

Before I get to the quotes from RA, just a few observations about Saturday's scrimmage. Some concerns about RT Darian Bryant (knee). Was on the sidelines limping. Also didn't see Jesus Gibbs, the 290-pound DT transfer from South Carolina. I think Bryant's injury is a bit more serious. Either way, Rob was not going to tell me specifics about either injury. Don't assume season-ending but not sure when. The good news is that DeMarcus Gilmore appears to be a solid huge 360-pound right tackle. Grzymkowski is almost back at left guard. Alex Desire has done a nice job in his place. He'll probably be the backup at left tackle and left guard.

At center/right guard, it appears to be a competition between Brendan Cassells (6-3, 300), Brown Tuiasosopo (6-2, 315) and Cole Cheripko (6-4, 300). Brown was playing mainly center. They used him on the first team when they were in the red zone. They got down to the five and unfortunately, same ole crap. Two runs (Shane got dinged up on one), a third run to left from AP (Platt) and then Flacco was hurried on fourth down. Not sure what to say other than disappointed in the inside the 5 lack of being able to run the ball from the shotgun. No I-Formation. Some use of fullback (Luke Hamilton), but we are going to have to continue to work on running the ball inside. Not having a big back hurts though Yeedee was held out. He should be back for the regular season. Flacco wasn't running so that also took away the effectiveness of the running game in the red zoen. It's kind of like the Ravens when they play vanilla preseason offense and run the ball with defenses knowing Lamar isn't going to run (at least not on designed plays). Not saying Flacco is Lamar Jackson, but his running ability keys this spread offense. Take that away and well, you make him a pocket passer, where he's not bad but he's not as effective.

Good news is that the defense has gotten a lot better. There are not as many open receivers running around as they did last year. No Jabari Allen (slight injury) but still, there should have been more open receivers. Good jobs by Gillette and Shuman. Robert Topps appears to be playing safety and cornerback, though Robert Javier (inj.) is expected to return next week as the third corner. I'm extremely high on him as some may have noticed. Steven Brown, the juco transfer safety, looked very good at strong safety. Sure tackler. Jamal Gay starts at one safety and either Topps or Brown at the other.

Up front, with Gibbs out, looks like they will be rotation of Bryce Carter, Tibo, Gyeni, Vinny Shafer, Marcus Bowman and Q. Alexander. Was impressed with Bryce Lauer (6-3, 275), who has put on about 30 pounds in the offseason. I think what we lack is a dominant defensive tackle and that could be Gibbs if he can get on the field. But overall, impressed with the defense early on but they probably tired at the end as the heat (90+) was getting to them. Nice to see Ricky DeBerry flying around at inside linebacker. He and Robert Heyward should be one of the top inside duos in the league. Not quite as sure about Malik Tyne and Keon Paye at outside linebacker. Tyne (6-3, 250) is big and athletic but has never really done it consistently. New DC Daniels still trying to find the right combination. 

At receiver, Daniel Thompson is pushing for that third spot. Had a nice touchdown catch late in the scrimmage where he beat Topps in the corner. I ike Ryan Rutkowski but more as a fourth or fifth receiver and I did love the kid two years ago. Has to be more aggressive at going after the ball and not just letting it come to him. Either said than done, but he's a possession guy. Has to catch the short passes. Sort of like Gallahan, who eventually grew into his role. Thompson has a chance to be special. Darian Street has more explosiveness. Just haven't seen him make enough plays. D'Ago Hunter makes at least one big play every time he steps on the field. It's Leatherbur, Jabari Allen and Thompson/Street IMO. After that, Rutkowski, Hunter, Caleb Smith. J'Alen Elliott. Oh and the true freshman Charles Murphy is wearing Chris Greaves' number 10. He's going to be a lot better assuming he stays healthy and that was Greaves' big issue. Murphy's frame (6-2, 175) is the biggest worry right now. I think you play him four games and if he's ready to go physically and mentally, he needs to play in the rotation. If not, redshirt him and bulk him about 15 pounds. He's another special talent. 

• Like 2

RA after the scrimmage:

"We got the work we needed to get in. Everybody we needed to evaluate got evaluated. Thank God it was hot, we needed this so bad. We needed to grind through this. We're somewhere between 120- and 150 reps right now, which is what we needed. Hopefully, we escaped healthy."

Defensively 

"We were ready to play but not ready to play through the entire game. We're not in the entire game shape. That will change.

On secondary

"We didn't let Tom run at all. We're forcing our guys to cover routes and forcing them to get open. That's what we need to be. That's an obvious level of improvement (covering receivers).

On third corner

"Going into it, it was Robert Javier. He is still the third corner. He should be back next week."

On offensive line at center

Cole can, Cassels can, Brown can. It will be one of those three and the other will be right guard. 

On scrimmage next week

We need to be sharper. We're playing everybody, everywhere. Still throwing stuff against the wall and seeing if it sticks. By the time we get to next week, we'll do at lot less, but we need to be very sharp.

On Jabari

Rolled his foot on Friday. Nothing serious. Didn't need to play.

On Daniel Thompson

The way he's playing, his knowledge and skills, he hasn't even been here for less than a year. 

D'Ago Huter

He's quicker than he's fast but he's fast enough. We spread the ball out to everybody.

On DeBerry, Christian Dixon and Robert Heyward

Dixon has had a great camp. Those three have had great camps.

On Quashon Alexander

The last four days, he's coming on. The stuff that he knows, he's coming along fast but has been slowly coming along.

• Like 2

One thing I forgot to mention was that I was impressed with the play of Tristan Harris, the fourth-string quarterback. I loved his play-fakes and ability to run, even though he's coming off knee surgery and is now listed at 6-2, 220. Really not sure who the backup quarterback is right now, ok Stover, but Harris might be third-string. I like Jeff Miller but he just doesn't fit this offense at all. He's a big pocket passer in a world of dual-thread spread, read-option athletic qbs. Next year, if he's the starter, they'll have to go back to a more traditional offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update Mat .So, it sounds like the staff is still tweaking the depth charts.  I would expect lots of rotation this week in practice for the 2-deep.  The D has been preparing for the Citadel TO since spring . With the move to an odd front and a deeper rotation along the line, I expect the D to be improved against the Bulldogs.  

• Like 1