• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

No. 11 Tigers edge The Citadel on final drive, 28-21

I like to dissect games but this is just a W you need to take and move on. We played a team that wanted this win badly. They did some strange things in terms of subbing (like laying down) and running the clock at the end of the half before the ball was set? Strange goings. As Rob said at the end of the half, we're playing great on offense until we shoot ourselves in the foot. You kind of expect a false start and a holding (when Yeedee tried to run outside like Shane instead of taking it North/South). The drops are unusual for Leatherbury and Allen, but guys, say what you want. I'm not going to say this team is special because I still don't know. But this receiving corps has a chance to be special. Last season, Allen and Leatherbury were a great combo. Brent Richardson and Sam Gallahan were solid as the 3rd and 4th receivers. But they aren't as talented as Darian Street and Daniel Thompson. Those guys could be our top 2 receivers next season if Jabari Allen wasn't returning. Street was open several times down the middle that I think Flacco sometimes doesn't look his way because he is looking for Leatherbury, Allen, Simpson and Clark.

Was the defense good today? No. They gave up 329 yards on the ground and 21 points to a team that doesn't pass, including one late that nearly won the game for the Bulldogs. Guess what? In Alabama's 50-17 win over The Citadel last season, where the game was tied at 10-10 at the half, the Tide allowed 275 yards rushing to the Bulldogs. It's difficult to judge the ground defense and let's face it. Ron Johnson didn't play and Jesus Gibbs (3 tackles) played sparingly. Do you think they'll help? Brand new nose guard Vinny Shaffer looked good today. I'd personally like him as a starter and Bryce Carter (13 tackles) was solid. Add another juco transfer in Marcus Bowman (3 tackles) and Nebraska transfer Quashon Alexander (1 tackle), I don't know where Daniels is going to find time for all these guys. We do need Malik Tyne back at OLB. If DeBerry is out, Chiz Umumakwe or Christian Dixon probably takes his spot. Maybe they rotate. Chiz is really fast and Dixon is a bit bigger and steadier. 

Can't judge the secondary in that game but I do like Stephen Brown (8 tackles) at safety though Coby Tippett (5 tackles, 1 INT) made the game-saving pick. He also was burned twice on two rare passes. I know we'll be glad to not face an option team next week but teams will and should try and test us on the ground. It will be nice to face teams that are not taking your knees out. Hopefully we never see another option team in my lifetime unless it's in the playoffs.

My random thoughts on today’s game:

(1) Note to TU’s AD-NEVER schedule the Citadel again;

(2) The announcers on ESPN+ were dreadful. The nasally homer of a color commentator insisted on calling us “town-sund.” The play-by-play guy repeatedly announced we haven’t beaten a SOCO team in 13 years. Um, no chief, we beat Citadel last year. I get it though, TU vs Citadel ain’t getting you the A-team of announcers;

(3) I’ll reserve on judging the D at this point. I need to see how we do vs a normal offense. As Mat has pointed out, Citadel ran for like 275 yards last year vs Bama;

(4) I went back & looked at the stats from last years TU vs Citadel game. Interestingly enough, Citadel’s running stats were virtually identical. Last year they ran the ball 71x for 341 yards. Today they ran the ball 70X for 329 yards. If this suggests our D is no better than last year, then we’re in trouble, with Florida, Maine, JMU, Stony Brook, UD, Nova, & Elon left on the schedule.  The big differences between last year & this year were: (a) time of possession-last year it was 30 minutes for each time, today Citadel hogged the ball for 38 minutes; (b) our offense today, unlike last year’s game, was quite sloppy (discussed below);

(5) This game wouldn’t have been a nail biter if the offense hadn’t had so many self-inflicted wounds. A 1st half holding penalty turned a likely TD into a FG; Epp’s fumble turned a likely TD into nothing; inexplicable clock management at the end of the 1st half turned a likely FG into nothing, and, our old bugaboo, inefficiency in the red zone, resulted in kicking a FG early in the 4th Q;

(5) Watching a Citadel game is a pretty joyless endeavor;

(6) Early returns on our WR Corp are quite good;

(7) Simpson was awesome today, but I still contend the lack of a bruising RB will bite us at some point this season;

(8) Flacco made a couple of dubious throws today, but he’s a special QB at this level. 

Onto NCCU.

Edited by TSU88

I was only able to watch the first quarter but winning on the road against a decent opponent is not an easy task. Good win. The Citadel has had the entire off season to prepare (as has Towson). I am not a football guy but I know the Citadel offense has brought victories for Navy against Notre Dame etc. It is very difficult to go against.  It sounded like the announcers were calling the game from the studio.

I believe we were a 3.5-point favorite in this one so this wasn't supposed to be a blowout.

I have faith that this defense will be better. But they have to show it.

We have a ton of transfers and while that addition of talent is what was needed, you are also hoping that they become a cohesive unit.

NG Vinny Shaffer (D2), DT/E Marcus Bowman (ASA juco), DE Ron Johnson (Michigan), DT Jesus Gibbs (South Carolina), LB Mantriel Reaves (Juco), S Stanley Davis (juco), S Steven Brown (juco), CB Brandon Shuman (Purdue), CB Terrell Gillette (juco), S/CB Robert Topps III (Kansas), OLB John Lambert (Dean College), ILB Ricky DeBerry (Oklahoma), Troy Vincent (N, Iowa/NC State).

Yeah, some of those guys were transfers from last season (Shuman, Gillette, Reaves, Lambert, DeBerry, Troy Vincent.). You wish we'd have more non-transfers but part of recruiting is getting FBS/Juco transfers. In 2012-13, we were loaded defensively, even if the production wasn't great. Ty Smith, Frank Beltre, Fred Overstreet, Jordan Dangerfield, Jordan Love, Monte Gaddis, Telvion Clark, Arnold Farmer, Romale Tucker, Jon Desir, Drew Cheripko. Many of those guys were transfers. Some went on to the NFL and CFL. You need talent on defense to get to the next level.

26 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Did Topps see the field today?

I didn't see him in there. I assume he played special teams. He was on the participation chart. I think he'll be the nickel corner when they need one though I still think he's better at safety.

8 minutes ago, TUTigers said:

Any update on Deberry injury?

I believe he's getting an MRI. Some swelling. Not fair to guess the severity of the injury but suffice to say he probably won't be playing this week.