• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Richmond postmortem

Frankly, I thought the defense played fairly well. Paye made a great pic & return for TD-I never saw a replay on the stadium scoreboard, so I don’t know if the flag that negated the TD return was legit or not. If we had better than a D-III offense we probably win the game. 

I’m no QB guru, but after another afternoon of watching Stover fumble & throw multiple pics, I’ve seen enough of him to have serious doubts whether he’s the future of the program. Frankly, I thought the 3rd team QB, Harris, looked far better than Stover. Mahalak ain’t playing again this year (have to wonder whether he’s ever going to play again for that matter) so the question doesn’t become whether we’ll win another game this year, the more relevant question (and I’m not being flippant) is whether we’ll score another offensive TD this season). Of course, it would certainly help the inexperienced QB’s if we could run the ball, but we can’t. 

5 games left-NH, Delaware, Elon, W&M, & Rhode Island.  3-8 seems best case scenario, though 2-9 is more likely. 

BTW, I pose the following rhetorical question-can someone explain to me why the brain trust coaching staff opted to try a 50-TD FG (with a kicker who has inexplicably lost his touch) instead of going for it on 4th & short? Granted, it probably didn’t effect the outcome of the game, but I contend it is just another example of how we continually get out X’d & O’d week after week.

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Frankly, I thought the defense played fairly well. Paye made a great pic & return for TD-I never saw a replay on the stadium scoreboard, so I don’t know if the flag that negated the TD return was legit or not. If we had better than a D-III offense we probably win the game. 

I’m no QB guru, but after another afternoon of watching Stover fumble & throw multiple pics, I’ve seen enough of him to have serious doubts whether he’s the future of the program. Frankly, I thought the 3rd team QB, Harris, looked far better than Stover. Mahalak ain’t playing again this year (have to wonder whether he’s ever going to play again for that matter) so the question doesn’t become whether we’ll win another game this year, the more relevant question (and I’m not being flippant) is whether we’ll score another offensive TD this season). Of course, it would certainly help the inexperienced QB’s if we could run the ball, but we can’t. 

5 games left-NH, Delaware, Elon, W&M, & Rhode Island.  3-8 seems best case scenario, though 2-9 is more likely. 

BTW, I pose the following rhetorical question-can someone explain to me why the brain trust coaching staff opted to try a 50-TD FG (with a kicker who has inexplicably lost his touch) instead of going for it on 4th & short? Granted, it probably didn’t effect the outcome of the game, but I contend it is just another example of how we continually get out X’d & O’d week after week.

Agreed. Defense played well and the offense did nothing to help them out. I honestly felt bad for the D. 5-6 turnovers isn't going to cut it (I lost count). Harris had some good moments. I'd like to see more of him if Morgan isn't going to play. Still disappointed that his injury is so hush hush. Transparency would be nice.

A couple of things and I will get to the quotes later. Ambrose compared what Stover went through today to another quarterback that had six turnovers (if I remember all six picks) against Maine in 1991. That was Dan Crowley, but here's the difference. Dan had a gun and he showed great potential earlier in the season. Towson (St) decided to go option with Gary Worthington at quarterback, a converted linebacker. It was a disaster but Crowley did show some ability until the last two games, I think he had 13 combined turnovers. Stover has turned it over every game but Stony Brook. Honestly, I was very impressed with Stover in the spring and early in camp. And then he struggled later in camp and Mahalak was way ahead. I didn't see much of Tristan Harris and I think what he showed today is that he could be a decent qb if given certain run packages. 

Of course, the OL is an issue. They pass blocked fairly well behind Stover but they teed off on Harris, especially when Antonio Harris was knocked out of the game. I'd hate to see Antonio out for the year and his career, but at least Garnett can finally play left tackle. Today, he was wearing 96 and playing tight end. He certainly needs the reps.

Bottom line, aside from QB and OL issues, is that we have no playmakers. Love Greenwood but he's not a burner. That was supposed to be Leatherbury and he got injured again. Kilgore is still hurt, didn't see Jabari Allen and Rodney Dorsey mainly returned punts. The running backs situation is worse without Shane. We have nobody that breaks a tackle after the first hit. The closest is Kobe Young and he's very raw.

I know everybody wants to know about Morgan's injury but this is college football. This happens everywhere. Look at Maryland, where Durkin wouldn't even say if Bortenschlager was going to start. Nobody is transparent about injuries unless it's season-ending. It's a privacy issue.

I agree with Mat, the kid is hurt and he's not on the field, that's all you need to know.  

What is a legitimate concern is that despite all of the on-field success in 2011-2012-2013 the coaching staff did not recruit a single quarterback to campus who has been a consistent player.  That's 0-6 in the last recruiting classes.  That's on the Offensive Coordinator, and the Head Coach.  No one else.  

Didn't watch game but how one could say defense played well while nearly getting blanked by twenty something points is besides me. Gave up on this squad long ago and don't bother watching or attending games until the staff changes completely. This is downright embarrassing and sad. Brings back memories in the 90s on campus when we were dreadful....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DocMinnegan said:

I agree with Mat, the kid is hurt and he's not on the field, that's all you need to know.  

What is a legitimate concern is that despite all of the on-field success in 2011-2012-2013 the coaching staff did not recruit a single quarterback to campus who has been a consistent player.  That's 0-6 in the last recruiting classes.  That's on the Offensive Coordinator, and the Head Coach.  No one else.  

True, though you can count Grant Enders, even if he was a juco player. I wouldn't completely give up on Stover. That's way too soon. But sure, in between, Mahalak has been injured, Athens injured and struggled in his first year. The QB is part of the problem but the O-line and lack of depth at RB is the other. Two true freshmen are playing because Wethington is off the team and we a juco back who was injured. One thing RA said in the offseason (to paraphrase) was that we wouldn't be in bad shape if Morgan got injured again. Well, we're in worse shape than last season on offense. The damn shame of it is that we are better defensively. I also think the Kevin Olsen debacle set us back a few years at that position.

I’m assuming Mahalak is still suffering from the effects of the cheap shot to the head he took in the opener against Morgan State. Safe to conclude he’s not playing again this year & one has to question whether he’ll play again, period.

If he doesn’t play next year that leaves Stover, who has regressed horribly since the MD game, where he made a few plays, Harris, or maybe Miller, the kid coming in from HS in California. 

We really need to recruit several RB’s with size. It’s shocking how bad our running game is. Has to be one of the worst in the country. Also have to hope a couple of kids who aren’t playing this year, like Greaves & Wright can make meaningful contributions next year.

I’ve given up on counting on any meaningful contributions from FCS transfers. Mahalak, Tsimis, Kilgore-all spend more time in the trainers room than the field. Certainly not their fault that they’ve been injured, but it does call into question how we’re evaluating potential transfers.

Also curious why JUCO transfers like the TE Moore & Francis, the OL, don’t play, along with RS freshman OL Garnett.

If we go 2-9, we’ll be 17-27 since Frisco. Totally squandered what should have been the momentum of a championship game appearance. Losses since Frisco to Central Connecticut State, Dartmouth, & Rhode Island, while barely eeking out wins vs Morgan State & Delaware State.  I agree with whoever posted in the chat thread that we’ve regressed to the end of the Combs era days. Yet there doesn’t appear to be any accountability, other than the fairly meaningless firing of the D coordinator after last season 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

I’m assuming Mahalak is still suffering from the effects of the cheap shot to the head he took in the opener against Morgan State. Safe to conclude he’s not playing again this year & one has to question whether he’ll play again, period.

If he doesn’t play next year that leaves Stover, who has regressed horribly since the MD game, where he made a few plays, Harris, or maybe Miller, the kid coming in from HS in California. 

We really need to recruit several RB’s with size. It’s shocking how bad our running game is. Has to be one of the worst in the country. Also have to hope a couple of kids who aren’t playing this year, like Greaves & Wright can make meaningful contributions next year.

I’ve given up on counting on any meaningful contributions from FCS transfers. Mahalak, Tsimis, Kilgore-all spend more time in the trainers room than the field. Certainly not their fault that they’ve been injured, but it does call into question how we’re evaluating potential transfers.

Also curious why JUCO transfers like the TE Moore & Francis, the OL, don’t play, along with RS freshman OL Garnett.

If we go 2-9, we’ll be 17-27 since Frisco. Totally squandered what should have been the momentum of a championship game appearance. Losses since Frisco to Central Connecticut State, Dartmouth, & Rhode Island, while barely eeking out wins vs Morgan State & Delaware State.  I agree with whoever posted in the chat thread that we’ve regressed to the end of the Combs era days. Yet there doesn’t appear to be any accountability, other than the fairly meaningless firing of the D coordinator after last season 

I'm guessing you mean FBS transfers. Tsimis and CJ Williams had injury problems at Rutgers and Bucknell respectively. Shame that both really haven't worked out and both were injured. Kilgore injured as well, came from Michigan State. He could help some. But we NEED FBS transfers. Most teams find them. We found Jabari Greenwood. He's outstanding. Leatherbury is slight of build and I think that's costing him. The recruiting of Moore and Francis from California is pretty egregious. When neither plays or contributes right away, that's on Rob or whomever recruited them. 

As for accountability, I don't think you can make many changes other than at OC this late in RA's tenure. Who's going to want to come here to coach other than some young guy trying to get his feet wet.

Outside of Maryland the talent has been fairly even no team outside of Maryland that Towson has played this far has had talent head over heels better then Towson Richmond turned the ball over today just like Towson did the QB for Richmond was the difference for Richmond when Towson blitz they got great pressure on him but they didn't stick with it why Richmond came in averaging 40 a game Towson held them to 23  really Towson is not bad as it looks . But the coaching as I have said before stubborn and arrogant  and I really think the other coaches have voices that they are afraid to use because of there jobs