• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

No. 8 Tigers demolish No. 9 Black Bears, 45-23

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/9/14/thaenrats-four-tds-sends-8-towson-football-to-huge-45-23-victory-at-7-9-maine.aspx

This game started out like it was going down to the wire. Towson had a 17-13 lead at the half and had the ball in the second half. After a three-and-out, Maine had a chance to go down and tie it up but they settled for a field goal. The Tigers went on to score 28 straight points to put the game away in the fourth quarter.

Tom Flacco completed 20 of 34 for 232 yards with one TD and ran for 68 yards. But the key number was in the turnover column, where had none and last season had two picks. His counterpart, Chris Ferguson, started off strong, but wound up with four interceptions even though he threw for 401 yards. Some of those yards came when the game was out of reach, but Towson's defense was opportunistic and well, balanced. They had four different players pick off balls including Robert Heyward, Keon Paye, Steven Brown and Coby Tippett (his third).

On the downside, star running back Shane Simpson was injured on a kickoff return and was carted off. No news was released on his status. The Tigers were also playing without WR Jabari Allen (lower body), S Jamal Gay (undisclosed) and C Brandon Cassels. Though Cole Cheripko played center and may not move out. RG Alex Desire also played well.

Towson ran for 172 yards and spread it around three backs. Yeedee Thaenrat was mainly sued in short yardage and had four touchdown runs. Adrian Platt had the most carries (12), while Kobe Young was mainly used as a third-down back.

• Like 1

Hope Shane’s injury is not a season ender. Was very pleased with the play calling and the defense. We still haven’t played a great game offensively and we are 3-0. 

• Like 1

Carted off doesn’t sound good.  We better hope Kobe Young can step up & stay healthy 

Edited by TSU88

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Carted off doesn’t sound good.  We better hope Kobe Young can step up & stay healthy 

I think all three backs will be used. Kobe, if he's healthy, is the closest thing we have to Shane because he can catch out of the backfield. Use Yeedee as the hammer and Platt (AP) can be a change-of-pace guy. I like the play-calling in the second half when we used more boots and used both tight ends extremely well. Epps and Clark were just carrying guys tonight. Our receivers weren't great with Allen out. Thought Caleb Smith played well with three catches for 60 yards, while Shane Leatherbury, though he dropped one, had six for 63. That's against some of the best corners in the league and a very good D, though they do have injuries. My guy Daniel Thompson did not have a catch.

Great road W vs a top 10 conference opponent who beat us at home last season. Love the D coming up with multiple TO’s. Huge game at home next week vs Nova, which is 3-0, but who’s 3 W’s are against opponents with a combined 0-9 record. Maryland does not play next Saturday, so, if the weather is nice, we should have a big crowd. (Galls me that our attendance should depend to any agree on whether the Turtles 🐢 are playing, but I suspect it’s a factor). 

Now, I’m going to say it. Why was Simpson retuning kicks, especially when we have Tippett & Hunter? I expressed my concern about him returning kicks before the season, and another poster analogized it to PSU fans wringing there hands when Saquan Barkley returned kicks. Well, now here we are. Simpson is a huge cog in our offense, but he’s undersized & has been injured in the past. It also begs the question why didn’t we bring in an FBS transfer RB, or even a JUCO or freshman RB?

Next man up is always important in football. Look at Steven Brown tonight at safety. He had a pick. Coby was terrific again with a pick. How about Christian Dixon replacing Deberry? He had a huge hit on Ferguson for our only sack and was all over the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT #11 Dad said:

Just spoke to my son (Daniel Thompson) via text. He was injured in the second quarter and didn’t return. He bruised his hip

Oh damn, no wonder he wasn't on the field. Love the way your son plays. Tough blocker and good receiver.

• Like 1