• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

No. 8 Tigers demolish No. 9 Black Bears, 45-23

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Great road W vs a top 10 conference opponent who beat us at home last season. Love the D coming up with multiple TO’s. Huge game at home next week vs Nova, which is 3-0, but who’s 3 W’s are against opponents with a combined 0-9 record. Maryland does not play next Saturday, so, if the weather is nice, we should have a big crowd. (Galls me that our attendance should depend to any agree on whether the Turtles 🐢 are playing, but I suspect it’s a factor). 

Now, I’m going to say it. Why was Simpson retuning kicks, especially when we have Tippett & Hunter? I expressed my concern about him returning kicks before the season, and another poster analogized it to PSU fans wringing there hands when Saquan Barkley returned kicks. Well, now here we are. Simpson is a huge cog in our offense, but he’s undersized & has been injured in the past. It also begs the question why didn’t we bring in an FBS transfer RB, or even a JUCO or freshman RB?

I think it's second-guessing because he was not just another kick returner, but an All-American. Now after saying that, personally, I would never have had him on kickoffs but definitely on punt returns because he had great hands and is a good decision-maker. Rob had him out there because he though he could break a big one, just as he did against Delaware last season. In big games, it's hard to argue about using him on KO returns. 

As for bringing in a transfer RB, yes, yes, yes and yes. There were several options but they weren't good fits. I guess if he had tremendous faith in Hunter or Tippett as returners, he would have them out there over Shane. 

But getting back to a running back. Yes, they should have brought in a running back from somewhere. A competent one. Even a freshman. We added nobody. If Shane it out for a long time, we have just three. Lose them and we're down to a redshirt freshman in Sean Bryan, who is about 5-6, 180. Or you are using walk-ons. That's a position where you need numbers.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Btw, breaking news scroll on ESPN-Florida QB Franks out for the season. Injuries are the X factor at every level 

The kid that came in led them to the win though but I hear they were really banged up.

We’re now paper thin at RB, & opponents will know it. Of course, Flacco was going to be 1st or 2nd in rushing anyway, so the remainder of the season really turns on him, to a higher degree than it did before Simpson’s injury. 

I see this Nova game as a huge one. Win & we come home from the swamp 4-1, with home games vs Albany & Bucknell. Lose & we come home 3-2 from the swamp, on a 2-game losing streak 

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

We’re now paper thin at RB, & opponents will know it. Of course, Flacco was going to be 1st or 2nd in rushing anyway, so the remainder of the season really turns on him, to a higher degree than it did before Simpson’s injury. 

I see this Nova game as a huge one. Win & we come home from the swamp 4-1, with home games vs Albany & Bucknell. Lose & we come home 3-2 from the swamp, on a 2-game losing streak 

I'm pretty confident, but not overconfident that we'll be ok. We had our toughest road test of the season other than Florida and JMU and we passed it without our best back and second-best receiver. Doesn't mean Nova will be easy. I just want that game and I really don't care if we lose by 40 to the Gators. Just need to come out of that healthy. If it's close, then we'll, we are a legitimate contender with or without No. 13.

And yes, everything is now on No. 14. I don't think he minds. Top runner. Also has to manage the game a bit better. If Allen and Thompson are back and with two pretty good and big tight ends, we should be fine. I think Kobe can replace some of Shane's ability as a receiver.

BTW, if Coby wasn't becoming such a good safety, I think he would be an excellent running back. 

Eastern Washington (#5) & Weber State (#6) both lost yesterday, so perhaps we move up to #6 in the rankings, behind the usual suspects (NDSU, JMU, South Dakota State) and UC Davis & Kennesaw State