• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

We're 3-0 and about to be ranked in the top five

Yes, Shane Simpson probably will miss the next few games. Maybe more.  Not sure of the severity until Monday, but we could have come out of last night's game with no injuries and there still would be no buzz. I could sort of understand the pessimism. We're Towson fans, always waiting for the shoe to drop. But that was a hell of a win last night and unlike last season, when we started to wilt against teams like Maine, JMU and even Duquense in the heavy rain, we manned up. We controlled BOTH lines of scrimmage. I'm not sure I could say that since we had guys like Shaw, Desir, Farmer, Harris, Pike, D. Cheripko, CJ, etc. 

Getting more transfers up front has helped tremendously. And we just added another big body, more likely for future depth on one of the lines.

https://towsontigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11515

Now I can also say I was one of the doubters. I'm not saying that we hadn't improved from last season's team-I just didn't know how much. It was impossible to tell in the spring because of the weather and some of these guys hadn't arrived yet. 

But even Maine wondered, who the hell were these new guys? Impact newcomers? WR Darian Street (Pitt), WR Daniel Thompson (true freshman), S Stephen Brown (juco), S Stanley Davis (juco), RT DeMarcus Gilmore (juco), FB Luke Hamilton (r-freshman), TE Jason Epps (D3 transfer), NG Vinny Shaffer (D2 transfer), DE Quashon Alexander (Nebraska), DE Ron Johnson (Michigan), DE Jesus Gibbs (South Carolina), Marcus Bowman (Juco).

That's not even mentioning Darian Bryant, the Temple transfer, who would have started at right tackle, but injured his knee in camp. Or Brown Tuiasosopo, who is a backup center, but can play guard. 

Of course, every year, you're going to have newcomers, jucos, FBS transfers, true freshman and r-freshman. I just think it's rare that a team that made the playoffs reassemble a roster like that. A bit of desperation? You can say so but you do what it takes to make the next step and you just don't know if you'll ever another QB like Flacco again, just like T-West was basically a once-in-a generation type of player.

• Like 1

Also this may have been noted elsewhere but just saw Ricky Deberry's IG post about his torn ACL... Another x factor on the D who would have been a force. Does this leave another year of eligibility? 

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

Also this may have been noted elsewhere but just saw Ricky Deberry's IG post about his torn ACL... Another x factor on the D who would have been a force. Does this leave another year of eligibility? 

He probably will apply for one more year.

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

we could have come out of last night's game with no injuries and there still would be no buzz. I could sort of understand the pessimism. We're Towson fans, always waiting for the shoe to drop. But that was a hell of a win last night and unlike last season, when we started to wilt against teams like Maine, JMU and even Duquense in the heavy rain, we manned up. We controlled BOTH lines of scrimmage. I'm not sure I could say that since we had guys like Shaw, Desir, Farmer, Harris, Pike, D. Cheripko, CJ, etc. 

Agreed. A road win, against a ranked team, is always good.  The fact that it was quite a distance and a beat down made it more impressive. Heard reports, that we bused up there. Any truth to that??

There are only 30 or so posters here that are on consistently so that is the reason for lack of buzz, along with the history of no one in the community/campus caring.  We have 18,000+ undergrads and 6,000 of them live on campus with thousands more in off campus apartments around campus. We are going to be playing a top 15 opponent, with a brand name (some students may be tricked into thinking of Nova in basketball terms/stature) Its going to be sunny and in the low 70's on Saturday, and all of the other football teams are either off or away, there is no reason that there shouldn't be 10,000 people there!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agreed. A road win, against a ranked team, is always good.  The fact that it was quite a distance and a beat down made it more impressive. Heard reports, that we bused up there. Any truth to that??

There are only 30 or so posters here that are on consistently so that is the reason for lack of buzz, along with the history of no one in the community/campus caring.  We have 18,000+ undergrads and 6,000 of them live on campus with thousands more in off campus apartments around campus. We are going to be playing a top 15 opponent, with a brand name (some students may be tricked into thinking of Nova in basketball terms/stature) Its going to be sunny and in the low 70's on Saturday, and all of the other football teams are either off or away, there is no reason that there shouldn't be 10,000 people there!

Just trying to emphasize the positive when we win because I know what happens when we lose. It becomes a bitch-fest. I know that’s what this board is for. 

I’m starting to believe in this team and that the changes we made on the coaching staff are beginning to show. I’m also not naive enough to think that a serious injury to Shane coupled with DeBerry being out wouldn’t be a huge blow to the team.

19 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Just trying to emphasize the positive when we win because I know what happens when we lose. It becomes a bitch-fest. I know that’s what this board is for. 

I’m starting to believe in this team and that the changes we made on the coaching staff are beginning to show. I’m also not naive enough to think that a serious injury to Shane coupled with DeBerry being out wouldn’t be a huge blow to the team.

I mean, it's like that everywhere for all sports teams (maybe not NDSU). Delaware fans are bitching about getting blown out at home, a late fake FG, Rocco and bad attendance. There is nothing wrong with having higher expectations and being upset when there is a bad loss or under achievement.  There were a lot of positives in the game, and hopefully the momentum carries over to Saturday. But a debate/questioning on whether a valuable and electric but an injury prone player should be back returning all of the kicks is worth the conversation. 

The injuries will definitely hurt, but if we can get through Saturday, we have a L at Florida then a bye and some of the "easier" games back to back before JMU, it should be ok.  I agree with the changes and positives on the defensive side of the ball.   The interceptions and passes defended have been a great change to what we have seen in the past 5+ years.

I’ve been following this team for over a decade now (hard to believe) and it really feels like the program has shifted for the better. 

This years team feels much more cohesive in all aspects of the game. I think they could be special. The loss of Deberry will really sting but I’m confident in the next man up.

In the past I’ve been highly critical of the athletics department regarding marketing and game day. I’ve got to say it seems like they are coming around too. I’ve seen a huge increase in physical marketing and I love what they are doing in terms of game day- letting the students tailgate, the pregame show etc.  

24 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Beating Florida would move the needle farther and faster than going undefeated in our FCS games and being a Top 3 seed in the playoffs.

Beating Florida would move the needle farther and faster than winning and FCS championship. As good as we may be this year, neither are going to happen.

• Like 1