• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Blounge

Marketing

2 hours ago, BoogerJ said:

Marketing is the least of the concerns.  You could be placing Hillary Clinton-sized ad buys and it would not move the needle.  Marketing is treating the symptom and not the disease, which is dumping millions of dollars into a football program that has no ROI for the University.  The students are apathetic, the alumni do not engage, and Baltimore City has not clue one that anyone other than "Joe Flacco's Brother" is on the team. But I am sure someone will educate us about the major value of being on the Sun Sports Section page 6, right next to the Oil Change and Massage Ads.

This was an Alumni  Assoc event.  95% of all college athletics do not make money.

2 hours ago, BoogerJ said:

Marketing is the least of the concerns.  You could be placing Hillary Clinton-sized ad buys and it would not move the needle.  Marketing is treating the symptom and not the disease, which is dumping millions of dollars into a football program that has no ROI for the University.  The students are apathetic, the alumni do not engage, and Baltimore City has not clue one that anyone other than "Joe Flacco's Brother" is on the team. But I am sure someone will educate us about the major value of being on the Sun Sports Section page 6, right next to the Oil Change and Massage Ads.

Agree and disagree. Football team is needs d it it’s fcs. Who wouldn’t make the playoffs here?! I mean if king rob leaves who would ever take on coaching duties?!

59 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

This was an Alumni  Assoc event.  95% of all college athletics do not make money.

I was referring to every game, not one specific event.  Towson Football is irrelevant. Students don't care.  Alumni don't care.  Population of Baltimore doesn't care. 

Is your assertion that 95% of college athletics does not make money your best argument for keeping the $8.5 million dollar football program intact which brings in less than $750,000 gross a year?  I'll do you one better, in that there is not a single program in FCS that turns a profit, not even NDSU. FCS Football is a complete and total waste of time and resources for a school that has declining enrollment and budget challenges in the main mission of the University, which is academics. So, Towson would be better off scrapping the football program, reducing the student athletics fee by 50%, and being better stewards of the budget dollars that they have since funds are obviously not coming into athletics from alumni giving.  

9 hours ago, BoogerJ said:

I was referring to every game, not one specific event.  Towson Football is irrelevant. Students don't care.  Alumni don't care.  Population of Baltimore doesn't care. 

Is your assertion that 95% of college athletics does not make money your best argument for keeping the $8.5 million dollar football program intact which brings in less than $750,000 gross a year?  I'll do you one better, in that there is not a single program in FCS that turns a profit, not even NDSU. FCS Football is a complete and total waste of time and resources for a school that has declining enrollment and budget challenges in the main mission of the University, which is academics. So, Towson would be better off scrapping the football program, reducing the student athletics fee by 50%, and being better stewards of the budget dollars that they have since funds are obviously not coming into athletics from alumni giving.  

Will not go into a whole debate here but I disagree. Football is a part of wider culture and tradition and its important to build it. Again realizing we as a university have only had a team for 50 years. We're a lot better off than the majority of others. 

I agree with sr16. Not everything is susceptible to analysis merely by a ledger sheet. There can be intangible benefits to having a football team. I’m probably not going to weigh in on this topic any further, as I prefer to save my expertise and wisdom for matters pertaining to on-field issues 😆

On 10/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, TSU88 said:

I agree with sr16. Not everything is susceptible to analysis merely by a ledger sheet. There can be intangible benefits to having a football team. I’m probably not going to weigh in on this topic any further, as I prefer to save my expertise and wisdom for matters pertaining to on-field issues 😆

Convenient that you choose to dodge the details... would love to hear more about the intangible benefits to having a football team and hear how this balances out the $8.5+ million in annual expenses? 

16 minutes ago, BoogerJ said:

Convenient that you choose to dodge the details... would love to hear more about the intangible benefits to having a football team and hear how this balances out the $8.5+ million in annual expenses? 

So if you hate football at this level so much, why are you here commenting on it J? Yes, it costs a lot of money and returns very little other than the social aspect, which I think is meaningful and you don't get that in this volume in any other sport. 

You sound like our favorite professor, who used to come on here and crush the building of SECU Arena.

I'm here because I love the sport and have lived and died with this program for 30 years. I appreciate the passion of everybody here. Does it matter what we do in Harrisonburg or Newark? Not really.

• Like 2

The intangible benefit is I enjoy it. The university isn’t going to continue or discontinue the program because of my personal enjoyment. If this answer isn’t good enough for you, alas

• Like 1