• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Blounge

Marketing

56 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Having followed football attendance the last 10 years I wonder what our Marketing department does for the return on investment. We have averaged 6-9 thousand  a game for 10 years .

Would be nice for the road games to have a Towson Bar stream the game for alumni.

Probably not much. But the first two games, the attendance was impressive. It looked like the numbers reported, if not more. This is FCS football we aren't going to do much better numbers wise. Delaware has had 15,894 against Del State, 14,489 against NDSU! and 11,782 against Penn. Yes, half their fan base has literally died off within the past decade, but no ones drawing big numbers anymore.. look at FBS  teams such as Alabama, Texas, Michigan etc.  Stanford played a ranked Oregon team in front of 40-50% full stadium Saturday.

Saturday we had:

-An undefeated Top 5 ranked team, that can score and doesn't play a boring brand of offense

-An undefeated top 20 ranked team, with a "brand name" behind them (along with 500-750 of their fans)

-Beautiful weather

-Good start time

- 1,000 free shirts

-A QB and face of the team that is recognizable to people in the area

-An alum coaching

-Parents weekend

-Maryland and Navy off/away

and we got 8,800

Also, I thought I read/saw an ad on TowsonTigers.com that Rec Room or CVP is "showing all away games". Could be wrong, but who knows.

A few things. I would say that the crowd would have been larger had Villanova brought more than 100 people. I also wonder if people turned around when they saw the traffic jam on Osler and TowsonTown. Also, looking through my binoculars at the parking lot, the students had a blast before the game and some during the game. I would say that number would have been close to 9,000 had they actually come into the stadium.

Traffic-wise it seems as though we're not suited for crowds over 5,000 people. I got out of the press conference 20 minutes later and there was still a slight traffic jam getting out so I went to the tailgate, where most people had left. Just wanted to avoid the traffic.

But overall, it's good to see the energy and the improvements of the crowd. Marketing has done a nice job. Wondering what people think can be improved in the game-day experience. Even though I'm in the press box, I'm not sure the music (metal and hard rock from the 70s) fits the clientele on the student-side. I think they played something from Black Sabbath (with RJD) and I'm thinking, I get that they are trying to blast that when the opponent has the ball, but what about when we have the ball? Shouldn't we play something more modern that the students can get into (with a radio edit of course). Don't you want them to get pumped up?

16 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

A few things. I would say that the crowd would have been larger had Villanova brought more than 100 people. I also wonder if people turned around when they saw the traffic jam on Osler and TowsonTown. Also, looking through my binoculars at the parking lot, the students had a blast before the same and some during the game. I would say that number would have been close to 9,000 had they actually come into the stadium.

Traffic-wise it seems as though we're not suited for crowds over 5,000 people. I got out of the press conference 20 minutes later and there was still a slight traffic jam getting out so I went to the tailgate, where most people had left. Just wanted to avoid the traffic.

But overall, it's good to see the energy and the improvements of the crowd. Marketing has done a nice job. Wondering what people think can be improved in the game-day experience. Even though I'm in the press box, I'm not sure the music (metal and hard rock from the 70s) fits the clientele on the student-side. I think they played something from Black Sabbath (with RJD) and I'm thinking, I get that they are trying to blast that when the opponent has the ball, but what about when we have the ball? Shouldn't we play something more modern that the students can get into (with a radio edit of course). Don't you want them to get pumped up?

I think Tailgating can be improved. If you want to go just to 1-2 games, do you need to buy a $15 parking pass park to park your car on the stadium lots? I have not been able to get on the stadium lots with a car in the past to tailgate unless I have a $15 pass. Also. would like more parking near the stadium . Seems land is available near the stadium to add more parking/tailgating lots.

Can they add a bar on the Season Ticket holders lot near the basketball arena for beer/wine and food?

Edited by Tigerfan
ch

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

A few things. I would say that the crowd would have been larger had Villanova brought more than 100 people. I also wonder if people turned around when they saw the traffic jam on Osler and TowsonTown. Also, looking through my binoculars at the parking lot, the students had a blast before the same and some during the game. I would say that number would have been close to 9,000 had they actually come into the stadium.

Nova had a mostly full section, but I won't argue with that on that one.

-Traffic coming in is always bad, as its moves SO slow due to the parking people at the entrance of Auburn Dr and then at the top funneling cars into the spots. When I was a student they would literally walk with you to a spot and make you park there.  For groups of cars (which we had) if you were at the end of the aisle or had people 5-10 cars behind you, you were SOL when trying to be next to your group. You would get yelled at and harassed by those parking people. I'm not sure if that is the same now, as I don't typically go to Lot 14. 

Its a two lane road, they need to have the north entrance to Auburn drive, be two lanes in. The left goes into lot 13, the right goes in 14. Keep the South entrance a single lane and have any cars coming through the north side, that need to leave, loop around down near lot 19 and come past the arena and out that way. More cars/traffic/build up is on the northern side, which backs the street up.

It doesn't help that the parking people literally count the seconds down to 4 hours before to let anyone in. A pedestrian bridge over osler would help alleviate the foot traffic as well. Also, any shuttle buses, either from dorms/garages should go into the Osler medical center lot to drop off. That way it doesnt interfere with traffic coming into the stadium lots.

All for safety but the security lines are extremely slow.  Most college students aren't going to wait 15 minutes to be waved with a wand and have their purse locked through. I know theres nothing to be done about this, its the unfortunate world we live in.

Music does suck. The promotions and fan cams, seem lame, but maybe they aren't to current college students? Anyone here a student and agree/disagree?

Do a family pack. 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks and 4 TU Football Shirts for $75

Do a frat/sorority day or something with clubs/club teams on campus?

15 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

I think Tailgating can be improved. If you want to go just to 1-2 games, do you need to buy a $15 parking pass park to park your car on the stadium lots? I have not been able to get on the stadium lots with a car in the past to tailgate unless I have a $15 pass. Also. would like more parking near the stadium . Seems land is available near the stadium to add more parking/tailgating lots.

Can they add a bar on the Season Ticket holders lot near the basketball arena for beer/wine and food?

I feel as though the arena side of the stadiums lots are all "season ticket/paid parking." However I'm guessing most of those are not sold/used.  A few years back I purchased a yearly permit for $50 because it allowed for 4 hours of tailgating rather than just the 3.  It was worth it to me at the time, and helped alleviate the traffic into the lots. Staggering the times, may be something to look into.

20 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I feel as though the arena side of the stadiums lots are all "season ticket/paid parking." However I'm guessing most of those are not sold/used.  A few years back I purchased a yearly permit for $50 because it allowed for 4 hours of tailgating rather than just the 3.  It was worth it to me at the time, and helped alleviate the traffic into the lots. Staggering the times, may be something to look into.

I have learned for Homecoming, maybe Delaware and Parent's weekend games that tailgating is not an option without a parking pass for stadium lots if you get there 1 hour before the game. The lots that do not require a pass fill up about 2 hours before the game. Not good for a school trying to get more fans.

Let’s also remember parking got a lot worse when SECU was built because it probably took up about 200 parking spaces or more. A logical solution was a parking garage back there or near the soccer field but that never happened.

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Let’s also remember parking got a lot worse when SECU was built because it probably took up about 200 parking spaces or more. A logical solution was a parking garage back there or near the soccer field but that never happened.

True. I remember as a student that lot.

I saw on the Master Plan that Towson owns land(woods) across from St. Joe. The master plan calls for a 1,000 bed dorm. Wonder if they can use this since they are building 2,000 student apartments in downtown Towson now? Also, could they move the day care center? It's  a problem that you can't Tailgate for 3 games a year unless you get there 2 hours before. Most people only go to 1-2 games so do not buy a pass.

1 hour ago, Tigerfan said:

I have learned for Homecoming, maybe Delaware and Parent's weekend games that tailgating is not an option without a parking pass for stadium lots if you get there 1 hour before the game. The lots that do not require a pass fill up about 2 hours before the game. Not good for a school trying to get more fans.

So parking lots filling up early isn't good for a school trying to get more fans?  

Compared to most, we have a nice tailgate setup. The stadium is on campus, so it isnt far for students, but not in the middle of campus where there are no lots right next to it (see Maryland).

I've been to games at Delaware, WM, JMU, NOVA and Stony Brook and with the exception of Delaware (some of their lots are not owned by the school), we have the most/closest spots to the gates of the stadium. I should also mention, the cheapest parking as well.

26 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

So parking lots filling up early isn't good for a school trying to get more fans?  

Compared to most, we have a nice tailgate setup. The stadium is on campus, so it isnt far for students, but not in the middle of campus where there are no lots right next to it (see Maryland).

I've been to games at Delaware, WM, JMU, NOVA and Stony Brook and with the exception of Delaware (some of their lots are not owned by the school), we have the most/closest spots to the gates of the stadium. I should also mention, the cheapest parking as well.

It's good the parking lots are filling up but not good for people that want to tailgate with no place to park. I brought food and beer last year to tailgate and could not find a spot. Parked in the union and left the tailgate supplies in the car.