• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

No. 18 Villanova upends No. 5 Tigers in OT, 52-45

Great game day atmosphere, section we were in was electric the last quarter. On several plays big blocks were made for  Yeedee to run behind and he scored on those. Still scratching my head why they didn’t utilize the ground attack more in short yardage situations, especially in OT. Disappointing end to an exciting game.

The game last night reminded me of Ambrose's tenure at Towson the last 10 years. Good offense(scored 45 points) and poor defense .

It's  been the same the last 10 years including the Terrence West years. Not sure why we cannot develop a great defense at Towson,

Is it recruiting or coaching or both? Ambrose give's you a "B" grade. He does enough to keep his job and is an alum.

We will lose 4-5 games this year. The question is could we do better with another coach? We are not a football school(avg 7,000-9,000 a game).

Would an "A" coach even stay at Towson a long time? Would have to be an alum.

It would be nice to move off status quo or become a regular top 10-15 FCS team.

Edited by Tigerfan
o

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I doubt it. Could you imagine if he stuck around, the combo of him and Shane for four years?

Towson did a good job at getting him.  This is the kind of speed, power and size we need and running back.  This is the type of back every team wants.  T West type body and power, speed.  It would change the entire team to have him and Simpson.

Edited by omniland

56 minutes ago, omniland said:

Towson did a good job at getting him.  This is the kind of speed, power and size we need and running back.  This is the type of back every team wants.  T West type body and power, speed.  It would change the entire team to have him and Simpson.

It's a shame but you know there are penalty flags and then there are red flags.

3 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

The game last night reminded me of Ambrose's tenure at Towson the last 10 years. Good offense(scored 45 points) and poor defense .

It's  been the same the last 10 years including the Terrence West years. Not sure why we cannot develop a great defense at Towson,

Is it recruiting or coaching or both? Ambrose give's you a "B" grade. He does enough to keep his job and is an alum.

We will lose 4-5 games this year. The question is could we do better with another coach? We are not a football school(avg 7,000-9,000 a game).

Defense has always been the problem. I don't think there's such thing as a great defense at this level. You can't completely stop an a spread offense with a good offensive line, quarterback and receivers. You don't need a great defense. How about a good one. Yes, recruiting has been the problem and probably scheme.

I like some of the things new DC Eric Daniels has done but let's face it, we're not ready yet. We went to a 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel. We still need bigger linebackers to rush the passer. We just lost arguably our most talented defensive player in DeBerry and probably Ron Johnson, who could have been a monster inside. I think we added some pretty good transfers this season but yes, we've really misfired on recruiting, especially on the defensive line. For example, John Mullins should have been a mainstay on the defensive line by now but he was moved to the offensive line because he didn't he wasn't good enough to be in the rotation. 

BTW, you can't tell me we didn't have enough talent from 2011-2013 on defense. It starts with Hach. We had three NFL guys on that defense in Tye Smith, Dangerfield and Delaire. Had CFL guys in Beltre and Telvion Clark. Another very good linebacker in Gaddis, who played semi-pro. Two good interior linemen in Farmer and Desir. Yet we were average at best. Hmm.

8 hours ago, omniland said:

I thought Villanova was the best team we faced so far before the game and I didn't see anything that changed my mind.  They are just well balanced and but for a few costly turnovers I think they win this, not easy, but in hand in the 4th quarter.  We just cannot run the ball well enough to compete at the top of the FCS level right now.  Losing Shane is a big deal but I feel we got lucky to have Shane injury free last year.   That is not his legacy.  He is a great player but too small to take a pounding full time, let alone returning kicks, as his career has shown.  Villanova crowed the line of scrimmage all night determined to contain TF.  They took their shot to try and limit his ground yards and not allow him enough time to sustain drives with chunk completions.  TF can improvise as good as anyone, but Villanova took the chance that TF couldn't do it enough to outscore them and they were right tonight. 

Our pass rush concerns me.  Smith is a play maker like TF but he also had a lot more time last night than TF.  We don't seem to have that tall, lean edge rusher that you need to regularly disrupt timing.  To convert long third downs consistently you need time.  You can make a lucky play here and there, but to convert long third downs over and over you need time, and Smith had more time than TF.  We also had nothing to threaten Villanova in comparison to having Covington lining up in the backfield.  He is the type of back you want that some of us on here have been saying we need.    

Good assessment. The lack of a pass rush cost us on 4th and 10 at the 7. We can talk all day about offense but we put up 45 points last night and we're still talking about the poor calls in overtime as the reason we lost.We don't have a Ryan Delaire. We don't even have a Romale Tucker. Two tall, athletic defensive ends who could cause havoc. I was hoping that Marcus Bowman at 6-2, 260 could cause some of that along with Gibbs, but they are barely playing right now, I assume for injury reasons. Same thing with Quashon Alexander, who to me, is more of a 4-3 end. He's an athlete but hasn't really shown much either here or in Nebraska. I wonder if he's playing out of position. More of an OLB to me.

Their offensive line by the way is better. We couldn't even protect TF on the Hail Mary pass at the end of regulation. He was under duress and his mobility and strength (again) saved a few more sacks.

10 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

This team is not going to lose 4-5 games.  This is a solid team and will contend for the CAA title.  

• Like 2