• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Florida scouting report on Towson

38 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I went to that LSU game (was hoping to swing this weekend's game), and it was an absolute blast to see our team physically battling LSU tooth and nail. I am fine with these games. I just don't want us to ever repeat what we did in 2012 when we played both Kent State and LSU (and I know we probably never will). Also in 2012, we scheduled LSU the week before a big game at James Madison and lost that game. That was a scheduling loss and even though we got ripped off out of playoff spot that year we also did a bad job of scheduling even though it was fun from a fan standpoint. 

This year I think we did it right playing Florida before home games against Albany and Bucknell. Nothing against those teams, but I hope we can win those games no matter what happens this week. The other part about playing top 10 teams compared to decent teams like Maryland and USF is that the top 10 teams take us much less seriously. I mean when Alabama is tied with The Citadel at halftime and we are almost beating No. 3 LSU halftime, you know they are not 100 percent dialed in. Let's roll with the experience, see what happens and use it to our benefit going forward. 

Playing top 10 teams helps get exposure too. Seeing the school name up there on the scoreboard and or on ESPN is a big deal, especially now a days. Playing on ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, SEC Network is legit and a place recruits, alum and casual fans can see the Towson name without tyring to sign up and stream a Flo-sports subscription.   I'm not advocating moving up to FBS, but Citadels win over a bad Georgia Tech team probably gave them more exposure nationwide than they would get by winning an FCS championship game that starts at the host stadium 11 AM local time and on ESPN2 a week after "Bowl Season" ends.

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Playing top 10 teams helps get exposure too. Seeing the school name up there on the scoreboard and or on ESPN is a big deal, especially now a days. Playing on ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, SEC Network is legit and a place recruits, alum and casual fans can see the Towson name without tyring to sign up and stream a Flo-sports subscription.   I'm not advocating moving up to FBS, but Citadels win over a bad Georgia Tech team probably gave them more exposure nationwide than they would get by winning an FCS championship game that starts at the host stadium 11 AM local time and on ESPN2 a week after "Bowl Season" ends.

Couldn’t agree more. If we ever get a win over Maryland, I think it will be up there as being as big as going/winning the national championship. Especially in the state of Maryland/region. The casual and even most hardcore college football fans (unless they went to an FCS school) do not follow FCS football and just think of it as NDSU and everybody else. 

Edited by TU2018

While playing a Florida or LSU is a cool experience for the players, I think we would be better off scheduling the bottom of the barrel FBS teams. I think the exposure and coverage that would come from beating a team in a higher conference would do more than just showing up to an SEC game.

We would be better suited for a matchup with Liberty, UMASS, Charlotte, Akron, Bowling Green, or Coastal Carolina. 

I don’t think UConn would make the mistake of playing us again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blounge said:

While playing a Florida or LSU is a cool experience for the players, I think we would be better off scheduling the bottom of the barrel FBS teams. I think the exposure and coverage that would come from beating a team in a higher conference would do more than just showing up to an SEC game.

We would be better suited for a matchup with Liberty, UMASS, Charlotte, Akron, Bowling Green, or Coastal Carolina. 

I don’t think UConn would make the mistake of playing us again.

Those teams (except Liberty) don't pay as well.  We have played those G5 teams before and still have gotten smoked (WVU, MD, USF, WAKE). If we are going to lose, we might as well make what we can off of it. I don't understand SDSU in 2021. Whatever we make, will be spent in travel to get out there. I don't think a game against SDSU pushed the needle for a Cali recruit to come to Towson, but who knows.

I would like a local FBS/FCS Double Header.  Towson, JMU, UMD/WVU/UVA/Vtech/NAVY, at a neutral site, M&T or FedEx. But along with the bigger schools not agreeing, can't play two games in a day on those grass fields.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, TU2018 said:

Couldn’t agree more. If we ever get a win over Maryland, I think it will be up there as being as big as going/winning the national championship. Especially in the state of Maryland/region. The casual and even most hardcore college football fans (unless they went to an FCS school) do not follow FCS football and just think of it as NDSU and everybody else. 

I get the premise behind this, but I have to disagree. Whatever level we play, our goal should be trying to win the conference title and then trying to get as close to a national title as we can. Those are the most important accomplishments on our list in my opinion.

While beating Maryland or a top 25 team would be huge in the short-term, the next week to a month, maybe even the rest of the season, building a consistent program is more significant. I get from a publicity and fan standpoint a lot more people will care, but it would be better if we could build something that can last in the long-term here. I would take a CAA title (and of course an FCS Championship) over any of this because that is really what our players are out there trying to accomplish week in and week out.

I would be really excited if we can giving Florida a great game, and being in Baton Rouge when Towson took a 9-7 lead in the second quarter was one of more favorite in-person football moments. However, I really want to be able to expect to be a contender in the CAA and a top 20 team on an annual basis. We have done this sporadically, but if we are doing right we should be able to be more consistent with those goals. Other good things will come with that. 

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

I get the premise behind this, but I have to disagree. Whatever level we play, our goal should be trying to win the conference title and then trying to get as close to a national title as we can. Those are the most important accomplishments on our list in my opinion.

While beating Maryland or a top 25 team would be huge in the short-term, the next week to a month, maybe even the rest of the season, building a consistent program is more significant. I get from a publicity and fan standpoint a lot more people will care, but it would be better if we could build something that can last in the long-term here. I would take a CAA title (and of course an FCS Championship) over any of this because that is really what our players are out there trying to accomplish week in and week out.

I would be really excited if we can giving Florida a great game, and being in Baton Rouge when Towson took a 9-7 lead in the second quarter was one of more favorite in-person football moments. However, I really want to be able to expect to be a contender in the CAA and a top 20 team on an annual basis. We have done this sporadically, but if we are doing right we should be able to be more consistent with those goals. Other good things will come with that. 

Not disagreeing. It is more important to have a consistent winner and making the playoffs and all of us would like that. But as far as exposure and notoriety go, its not even close, Beating a Top 25 team or anyone like that is bigger and creates more of a buzz.  We can play 5 straight first round games in a row the rain against Duquesne on the app known as ESPN +-*/ o, but I feel it won't push the needle like the other would. Unless you are in the middle of nowhere (NDSU, JMU, EWU, Jacksonville State, Montana)  FCS football does not have a big following outside of loyal alums. To which we do not have, I mean there's a thread to try and make a Towson Bar in Baltimore, for the fans that don't want to go the homes games... Towson is 8 freaking miles from Baltimore. On a nice Saturday there is no reason not to show up to a few a year.

One of my tops in person moment was when Athens hit Brian Dowling on a 3-15 for 50 yards or so, leading to a 4th down Terrance TD to go up 26-10 on UCONN

The fact that you're playing Florida is an eye-opener to recruits. Not Liberty, UMass, some MAC school or even Navy (no Triple Option ever again). That won't raise eyebrows or gain much of a guarantee. But even San Diego State (great trip), West Virginia (P5) and Maryland (good for local recruits) are nice selling points to recruits. If you are going to play an FBS school every year, you might as well try and get a big payday.

• Like 1