• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

No. 9 Florida shuts out Tigers, 38-0

Not a real surprise. Big disappointment in the first half not getting points. Flacco fumbles a good snap and loses the ball at the 25. Missed FG by O'Neill of 30 yards in 2nd quarter. He had a 47-yard attempt blocked in the second half. We had 248 total yards and Flacco threw for 157 with Stover taking over in the last two possessions and throwing for 26 yards. The offensive line just couldn't handle their athletic ends. Flacco was sacked four times and also threw two picks, though one was just as good as a punt he threw it up for grabs.

The key is to come out of the game without serious injuries. Not sure if Shuman's injury was a calf, a hammy or a cramp. He has two weeks to rest up though good thing was Robert Javier got extensive action. I really like him even though he did get a PI in the end zone, he was in position. Just didn't turn around.

I think it's a Catch-22 about playing press coverage in this game. We had been playing a lot of tight coverage early this season and got burned save for the last game on 4th and 10 against Villanova. But to mixed results. Do you really want Gillette or Shuman or Javier or even Paye (who covers guys in the slot) playing a guy who probably runs a 4.35 40 at the line of scrimmage? You have to play the soft and not give up the big play. But you do have to play tighter in the red zone. Doesn't really matter because game is over and we're not going to force turnovers against anybody left on the schedule playing that soft. But again, get out without any serious injuries. Hope you compete and we really didn't especially in the second half, but being down 17-0 at the half at Florida is not the worst thing in the world.

But one thing is obvious. We desperately need two running backs next season. A freshman and a transfer with size. Maybe three. Platt tries hard but is limited because of his size. I guess Kobe Young was held out today. He could help as a receiver out of the backfield. Yeedee and Platt are not really receiving threats. But if Kobe is not healthy after the bye week, we are a passing team that will need Flacco to lead us in rushing as well. He could also use Chris Clark back along with Jabari Allen. A couple of drops today from Smith and Platt, but I thought the receivers did ok considering the opponent. We moved the ball against one of the best defenses in the nation, just didn't finish. I'm cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season, knowing that we can't afford any more key injuries to a running back or a receiver.

Offensive line just completely overwhelmed by their speed, especially our tackles. Rough game for Gilmore but here's a 6-4 360+ pound tackle and with no Clark, he didn't get a lot of help with chips or a fullback blocking. He also played the whole game in that height. Maybe the big guy lost a few LBs. This is where we could have used Darrian Bryant, the 6-6, 330-pound right tackle from Temple and Gilmore would have likely moved to right guard.

But again, Shane's loss is a rough one. Even on special teams, you notice his absence and as a receiver on checkdowns.

• Like 1

Hopefully the check cashes. this is an angry sec team that’s one win away from playing for the playoff (uga game). Take a week off and win some games after this. Defense is suspect but if they can be ok we will be a back end playoff team.  Del elon sb games are huge 

Nothing to be embarrassed about. We played a top 10 team, without 4 of our best players (Johnson, DeBerry, Simpson & Allen) & held them under 40 points. 1st half wasn’t far from a statistical draw; we had two 12 play drives and an 8 play drive. Would have liked to have avoided the shutout, but it is what it is. The Nova loss is the one that should stick in our craw. 

7 games left. We have to beat Albany, Bucknell, & W&M. That would give us 6 W’s. We likely lose to JMU, so that’s 3 L’s. That leaves Stony Brook on the road, & Elon & Delaware (who barely lost to Pitt today) at home. We probably have to win 2 out 3 of those games to make the playoffs, assuming we win vs Albany, Bucknell & W&M. We have no running game from our RB’s, and a very suspect D. Can we finish 8-4? Maybe, though I wouldn’t bet the mortgage on it.

Btw, Nova beat Maine by 16 today. That doesn’t help us. Dilutes our W vs Maine & it doesn’t bring Nova back to the pack 

Edited by TSU88

28 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. We played a top 10 team, without 4 of our best players (Johnson, DeBerry, Simpson & Allen) & held them under 40 points. 1st half wasn’t far from a statistical draw; we had two 12 play drives and an 8 play drive. Would have liked to have avoided the shutout, but it is what it is. The Nova loss is the one that should stick in our craw. 

7 games left. We have to beat Albany, Bucknell, & W&M. That would give us 6 W’s. We likely lose to JMU, so that’s 3 L’s. That leaves Stony Brook on the road, & Elon & Delaware (who barely lost to Pitt today) at home. We probably have to win 2 out 3 of those games to make the playoffs, assuming we win vs Albany, Bucknell & W&M. We have no running game from our RB’s, and a very suspect D. Can we finish 8-4? Maybe, though I wouldn’t bet the mortgage on it.

Btw, Nova beat Maine by 16 today. That doesn’t help us. Dilutes our W vs Maine & it doesn’t bring Nova back to the pack 

Nova beat Maine at home and while it maybe dilutes our loss some, it helps the loss to Nova in OT a bit. I watched Delaware today and they looked impressive. But Pitt was horrible. They dropped at least five passes that I saw and had no focus after upsetting USF the previous week. 

Also don't underestimate the loss of Clark. I know he's missed games before and he doesn't play every down. But when you get in the red zone, he's a huge target. He's also a pretty good blocker.

As far as the new safeties, we're only playing one in Steven Brown, who is ok. Not really big or physical and Coby, while he has three picks, makes a lot of mistakes. You can say that about the entire defense maybe sans Robert Hayward.

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

RA should be accountable for leaving the cupboard so bare at RB, especially knowing Simpson’s injury history. 

Agree 100%. He had his eyes on someone, didn't get him and then we didn't have other options. The fact that we didn't even sign a running back as a freshman is completely puzzling. Unless you're loaded, it's a position you should sign every year. We spent so much time on the offensive and defensive lines as well as safeties, we didn't add a corner or a running back. I guess you could say Topps, the Kansas safety can play some corner. He's 6-2, 205 and can run. I don't know why he doesn't play.

Now from what I hear, we do have at least one RB commit, but haven't confirmed who it is.

So all the transfers we added on defense, they don't really play. Quayshon Alexander, Jesus Gibbs. Marcus Bowman and Vinny Shaffer are coming off the bench or rarely playing. Two of those are due to injuries. And while I think Dixon has played decently, he's not DeBerry. 

Let's hope that during the week off, Gibbs can finally get playing time if he's healthy. 

FBS transfers can be boom or bust. There’s a reason they’re transfers. Struck gold with Flacco; meanwhile, Clark can never stay on the field, the OL transfer from Temple hasn’t seen the field, Johnson on D is out with an injury, DeBerry’s out with an injury & I don’t even know if Alexander, Topps & Gibbs play 

Edited by TSU88

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

FBS transfers can be boom or bust. There’s a reason they’re transfers. Struck gold with Flacco; meanwhile, Clark can never stay on the field, the OL transfer from Temple hasn’t seen the field, Johnson on D is out with an injury, DeBerry’s out with an injury & I don’t even know if Alexander, Topps & Gibbs play 

Bryant blew out his knee in camp. That's one of "Six Knees" RA is referring to every time he goes on a conference call or speaks after the game. I can't blame the so-called boom or bust on guys that tear an ACL. Because those guys can play. You take a chance on guys who can play. Same with Clark, you wish he can stay on the field but he can't. When he is, you saw what he could do against Maine. Alexander, Topps and Gibbs play, just not very much. Topps more on special teams. Alexander I think should be an outside linebacker. He's not very big at 6-3, 250 to play inside. Gibbs is a monster physically at 6-3, 290 but he's been hurt or limited due to injuries. I'm not saying he's going to be great this year. I just wish he didn't get hurt in camp. Haven't been overwhelmed by Alexander but Bowman I think can help. He played very well in the spring but he's been MIA I assume due to injuries.