• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

No. 9 Florida shuts out Tigers, 38-0

On 9/28/2019 at 9:03 PM, TSU88 said:

Your last post raises an interesting question in my mind-assuming we make the playoffs, would we be 1 & done again? Is it premature to pose this question? Perhaps, but it does beg the question whether we’re content as a program to scratch & claw to make the playoffs, only to get summarily bounced once we do. 

We are.  There are some that are just happy with a team.  Not expecting us to be JMU or NDSU, but when 25% of teams at the FCS level make the playoffs, we should be in more than we aren't.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:03 PM, TSU88 said:

Your last post raises an interesting question in my mind-assuming we make the playoffs, would we be 1 & done again? Is it premature to pose this question? Perhaps, but it does beg the question whether we’re content as a program to scratch & claw to make the playoffs, only to get summarily bounced once we do. 

Dude, We’ve only been to the 1AA playoffs 3 times .  One was a trip to the National Championship and one was an anomaly(Duquesne). The Lehigh game was our first attempt at it , Missing our starting OC, DB and LB.  What’s with the “one and done” crap.  Let’s get there a few more times and see what’s up.  Holy Crap, stop being so negative.  We showed well against Florida without 6 starters and down 13 of the top 44! Florida, not Rutgers or effing Virginia. You do realize that Florida has a $48mm football budget, right?

On 9/30/2019 at 6:59 PM, RundaPower said:

Dude, We’ve only been to the 1AA playoffs 3 times .  One was a trip to the National Championship and one was an anomaly(Duquesne). The Lehigh game was our first attempt at it , Missing our starting OC, DB and LB.  What’s with the “one and done” crap.  Let’s get there a few more times and see what’s up.  Holy Crap, stop being so negative.  We showed well against Florida without 6 starters and down 13 of the top 44! Florida, not Rutgers or effing Virginia. You do realize that Florida has a $48mm football budget, right?

Hey dude, don't compare us to Rutgers.  We are top 25 man. Get your facts straight..lol 

I am very optimistic about the program as a whole but I just wish some on the field things would change a little. Corners playing off all the time has been a something that has been happening since the start of the Ambrose era. I guess it's just a defensive philosophy but man it gets frustrating when we are up against an offense that picks us apart short over over and over again. 

As for the program, we have made ourselves a perennial fringe playoff team (other then riding the TWest train). Just want keep seeing improvement in the program to be a consistent playoff team. The question is can Ambrose and his philosophies do that? I don't know. But I will say that we shouldn't assume the grass is always greener. I don't think people would be beating down the door to coach at Towson.

I agree Ambrose has done a solid job. Would like to see the next step or becoming a regular playoff team.

Agree that people would not be beating the door down to coach at Towson. We draw 6,000-9,000 a game and have 1,500 season ticket holders. Hoping a regular playoff team would increase attendance plus we are expanding to a 2nd campus in Downtown Towson.

31 minutes ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

I am very optimistic about the program as a whole but I just wish some on the field things would change a little. Corners playing off all the time has been a something that has been happening since the start of the Ambrose era. I guess it's just a defensive philosophy but man it gets frustrating when we are up against an offense that picks us apart short over over and over again. 

As for the program, we have made ourselves a perennial fringe playoff team (other then riding the TWest train). Just want keep seeing improvement in the program to be a consistent playoff team. The question is can Ambrose and his philosophies do that? I don't know. But I will say that we shouldn't assume the grass is always greener. I don't think people would be beating down the door to coach at Towson.

The soft coverage against FCS teams with average quarterback play is maddening. I would love to see teams try and beat us deep, as the chances for that are likely less than them completing 8 yard passes with another 4-5 yards of cushion.  I mean we have a very good QB, and Villanova played with 1 safety out of the box most of the game and we had trouble connecting on the deep ball, and we tried numerous times. Their qb was short and did not have the arm strength to chuck in 25+ yards down the field.  Giving such a soft cushion with little to no pass rush does not equate into a good defense.

I AM NOT SAYING TO FIRE ROB.  But everyone assumes we wouldn't get a good coach here, if he were to leave and I disagree with that. Towson is in a competitive conference, with above average stadium/facilities, a competitive/but not out of this world admission standards, average level fan support for an FCS program (not compared to the university size, but still), that has almost unlimited job security (4 coaches in 50+ years), outside of a major metro area, good recruiting area, nice place to level (who wants to raise a family in Fargo, Missoula, Bozeman, Jacksonville AL, etc) and average to above average salary in comparison to other FCS programs.

• Like 1

I think he’s doing great with what he has to work with. He has less funds and fan support to work with than most of the competition and he produces a consistently winning record. I like that he’s willing to go on campus and engage with the students to hand out t-shirts and promote the game. Power 5 coaches would never spend their time doing that. 

Idk what can be done other than winning to up season ticket holders. It should really be double what it is