• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

How was Gainesville?

Forget the game. Want to hear about some of the experiences down there about the fans, stadium, etc. How were you treated? Did anybody know where the hell Towson was? Will find again when we play them in basketball on Nov.14 and possibly No. 24 in Charleston Classic.

I’ve had previous experiences at Florida so I knew a little of what to expect.  Stadium was about 70% full which isn’t surprising given the opponent.  I had a mile walk to the stadium and passed by a few tailgates and was asked about us - where we’re located, who we play, are we any good.  When I mentioned Flacco, they all knew that name.  I didn’t encounter any sort of negativity anywhere around the stadium nor did I expect any.  A quirk in Florida’s schedule has them playing 3 straight weeks of Tigers, 4 overall.  So a frat house across the street from the stadium had a large banner that said ‘Beat the Towson Auburn LSU Missouri Tigers.’  Inside the stadium, our section was pretty much left alone even though we were surrounded by students.  There were a couple of idiots here and there yelling at Aiden as he was kicking into the net or calling us Tow-suck. But otherwise, no sort of hostilities.  The place was loud but I’ve heard it much louder.  Of course, our guys have never seen a crowd that big so I wonder what they thought of all that noise.  I stood out by the buses after the game and the majority of the players were upbeat and had smiles on their faces when they came out.  Stover was real fired up about getting to play.  Came over to get a pic with his family after the clock hit zeroes and he had a huge smile.  Despite the result, it feels like they truly enjoyed the experience. 

• Like 1

Overall the Gator fans were very welcoming. Some knew where we were from, others did not but many stopped us to say welcome to Gainesville, hope you enjoy your visit, etc. A lot of them were surprised we traveled so far to see the game. One woman, as she was walking past us, stopped and said I hope our fans are being nice to you. I take that as sometimes they are not so nice to visitors but our experience was great. I too was at the buses after the game and agree with what Chris said. They were all pretty upbeat and several said they were very impressed with the crowd and the noise and the fact they got the opportunity to play on such a big stage.