• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Keys to the second half of the season

As we head towards another tough CAA game against a high-powered Albany offense, there are many issues that have to be addressed over the last seven games.

1)Injuries. As mentioned several times, RA has talked about "Six knees". Towson has lost starters RT Dairian Bryant, OLB Ricky DeBerry, DT Ron Johnson, RB Shane Simpson and S Jamal Gay are not coming back. Not sure if Jabari Allen will play this week but I think TE Chris Clark (upper body) is back. But the key is Kobe Young. A healthy Kobe is the closest thing we have to Simpson. He didn't play against Florida. He can catch and make people miss. 

2)Defense. In five games, they are allowing a whopping 193 yards rushing and 227.2 yards passing. Some of that is due to playing The Citadel and yielding over 300 yards on the ground. But they also were dominated by Villanova. They actually played better overall defense against Florida than they did against Villanova. So the potential is there to be a better overall defense. 

But it starts up front. The loss of Johnson hurts, but this team added Jesus Gibbs, Marcus Bowman, Vinny Schafer and Quashon Alexander in the offseason and they rarely play. Gibbs and Bowman have been nicked up. Hopefully the bye week gives them a chance to play more. Nothing against our starters: Gyeni, Tibo and Carter. Just need a real difference-maker. Bryce Carter appears to be more of a 4-3 end not an inside guy in the 3-4. Again, maybe we're not best suited for the new defense. I really thought Alexander should move to outside linebacker. Malik Tyne has also been nicked up and while John Lambert earned a ship, they really need to be more productive. We have just seven sacks in five games and not one from Tyne, Lambert or Keon Paye, who mainly has been covering receivers and tight ends. Christian Dixon does have three sacks to lead the team and has done a nice job replacing DeBerry. He didn't play that well against Nova, though nobody really did on the defensive side. DC Daniels is going to need to be creative in getting pressure.

Secondary is a question as well. Assuming Brandon Shuman is healthy, we're adequate at corner with him and Gillette-Rodgers. I think what the Florida game showed is that Robert Javier and Jirhe Love are two promising young redshirt freshman cornerbacks. They could be ready in a pinch but not yet. At safety, SJ Brown leads in tackles with 42. Also has a pick. Like him to be a little more physical. Wouldn't mind seeing more Robert Tobbs. Even though Coby Tippett has three picks, he also has to play more consistently.

The good news is that we're better on third downs (54%) not good on fourth downs (7-of-10) and have forced 12 turnovers.

3)Offense. Flacco has been good but you'd still like the accuracy to improve (57.8%). The Florida game certainly hurt his stats with the three turnovers and one fumble (6 TDs, 3 INTs). Once again, he leads in rushing with 242 yards with two TDs. I think the losses of Clark, Allen, Simpson and Daniel Thompson playing sparingly due to injury hasn't helped. Not having three huge targets in the red zone and then losing Simpson as a safety value is big. Hopefully, the other three will be back because the offense will need to score big this week and the rest of the season. That's just the way it is in the CAA. Look at JMU. Their defense looked dominant until they faced Stony Brook and had to win in a shootout in OT (45-38).

We're 63% on Red Zone TDs and 79% on Red Zone scores. Not bad. I think the offensive line is a little more physical this season led by Cole Cheripko at center and DeMarcus Gilmore at right tackle. But when you look at the loss of Simpson (7.4ypc), you have Yeedee and Platt both averaging 3.8ypc. Part of that for Yeedee is that he's been a short-yardage back and is now trying to be a prime back.

• Like 1

EVERYONE can be and needs to do better. I feel like this team a little like the Browns, in the fact that we were hyped up this season and play has been stagnant at times this year. Feels like we aren't getting into second and third gear much.  

Injuries are a part of the game and we have them every year. Hopefully the bye week helped and that we can get a decent crowd (not hopefully, looking at tickets available)  on another beautiful night.

Injuries are apart of the game but they can’t replace an All-American kick and punt returner or a running back with great hands who has 4.4 speed.. Can the Browns replace Nick Chubb?

It’s a little early to compare the team to the Browns because our one true loss took place in OT.

Injuries are not excuses. I just haven’t seen this many season-ending injuries to key players after five games in a very long time. However, we can’t afford many more of those but as long as we have #14, we have a chance. I just think the amount of injuries to key guys will unfortunately be a roadblock to a long run.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Now hearing that Kobe Young is redshirting. Strange timing. Rob announced it on his coaches show.

So disappointing to hear he chose to redshirt.  Was really excited to see what he could do to help out on offense. Is there anyone else that could fill that gap?

Edited by Blk&goldfan

12 minutes ago, Blk&goldfan said:

So disappointing to hear he chose to redshirt.  Was really excited to see what he could do to help out on offense. Is there anyone else that could fill that gap?

Not at the moment 

The lack of a running game, from a RB, is problematic. I wonder if Simpson is going to pursue a medical redshirt?

Ironic that we were worried about suffering injuries vs Florida, when it’s been every game but Florida that we’ve suffered a serious injury. 

Injuries are always the X factor variable which can’t be controlled. Failing to bring in a single freshman, JUCO or FBS transfer RB could have been controlled. 

As far as the D, they need to get off the field after 3rd down & stop giving up crippling 3rd & 4th down & long conversions. Seems like no matter who the D coordinator is and who the personnel are, this is a chronic problem. When the other team is facing 3rd & 10 or more, or 4th & 10 or more, my reaction is always, “they’ve got us right where they want us.” Unfortunately, on more occasions than not, that turns out to be the case. 

I just took a look at the roster and Troy Vincent Jr. has been switched to running back. He certainly has the build at 5-10, 205.