• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Scrimmage update

Pretty enjoyable scrimmage today. No Solomon and Nakye. Both should be fine by next week but they are being careful with them. All these stats are mine so they are unofficial and might be off a bit.

TJ Howard led all scorers with 21 points. Looked much more comfortable at off guard. Fobbs added 18 for Black team. Gray added 9 with two blocks. Made just 2 of 9 from the field but liked his aggression. Problem for Black team was that they had to go up against big Vic and was altering every shot in sight. Shame he’s not eligible this year. 

Gibson had five points, two assists and a steal. Missed all five of his three attempts. Might have been a little nervous but more important thing is that he limited the turnovers and hit the open man. The ball does not stick in his hands and he has an assortment of head fakes.

• Thanks 1

Overall were you pleased with what you saw? Did the return players improve their games over the summer. Who would you say is the leader or leaders of the team? 

With the conference being as open as it is. I was hoping we would have a chance this year. Especially that someone would emerge in the leadership category 

Sorry for the late response.

Yes, I was pleased with what I saw and if you read my last practice report, I did say I was impressed with the improvement of Betrand and Timberlake, although they didn't have great games today. I think Betrand's shot selection can still be iffy. He'll pass up an open 15-footer and then take a shot with a hand in his face. Timberlake needs to be more aggressive. Take it to the basket more even though Victor was out there protecting the rim with his seven-foot frame.

Dottin did hit a three so that's a plus but he's still basically the same player. He came down the floor and missed Timberlake twice in the corner. I don't know if his court awareness is just not that great because Gibson will hit that open man. He'll make Fobbs, Timberlake and Gray better. If he's plays with TJ Howard, as he did today, he'll make him better. Just think about it. Howard had 23 points playing alongside Gibson. Even if Jason or "Gibby" as they call him, had just two assists unoficially, his unselfishness and ability to find guys will open it up for the shooters. To me, that kind of play iis infectious. It will help Gray and Fobbs, who played on the Black team and played with Dottin. No offense to Jakigh, but if Gray played with Gibson, I think he would have had a better offensive game.

As for leaders, it's Fobbs and Tunstall. Dennis just does thing by example. I had him for nine rebounds and that was probably a little low. He's everywhere. Fobbs works hard. He threw a nice right-handed pass today and I think it shows he's worked on his off-hand. 

Do we have a chance this year? It's still too early to tell but the league is down. The guards are better but are they Delaware better? Charleston better? Hofstra better? 

I thought about this the other day when I covered one of the practices and forgot to bring this up. When was the last time we had a point guard or a shooting guard on the All-CAA team. Morsell was really a three and so is Fobbs. Gary Neal? How about a first or second team point guard? Jamaal Gilchrist? He was moved to the two his second year but the league was so stacked.

Bottom line is you need difference-makers in the backcourt. I like Timberlake and Betrand. Not so sure they are going to be really good this year; maybe next. Timberlake can be as good as he wants to be. He can pass it, his jumper has improved and is very athletic. Betrand can really defend. Maybe one of those guys will put it together. I'm going to give Gibson at least a year before I proclaim him anything but I like what I see.

37 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I don't think you can get too much out of a scrimmage as an observer or a fan. Teams don't gameplan, they sit out guys that might normally start in a regular season game and it's really just about getting reps. Of course, I hope the younger guys show something.

Time will tell. You may wind up being right, though I think it’s a bit premature to extrapolate such a conclusion based on the fact we lost a preseason scrimmage to a Big10 team, especially without knowing the details of the scrimmage, like who played, how many minutes they played and the final score

• Like 1