• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Towson embarrassed 38-21 to Albany

28 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

(Just thinking out loud here) I think K.C. Keeler would be an interesting name for Towson to consider if, by some miracle, Rob Ambrose were no longer the coach.

Yeah, maybe. He's 60 and by the time a move might be made, he'll be 61ish. Probably want to go younger route and the way things are going at Delaware, I'd think he would head back to his alma mater, though it ended pretty ugly so I guess he's probably just staying put.

10 hours ago, tualum said:

Oh, asking for the pink slip for the coach is absurd. The football program is somewhat relevant and had playoff and championship game appearances. Sure he screws up here and there but he is a decent coach imo. Can't say the same for the guy who coaches men's hoops . 

Tualum, this is not a criticism of you, but if what you say is true, that the bar for the football program is set at “somewhat relevant,” that is disheartening, at least to me. 

12 hours ago, tualum said:

Oh, asking for the pink slip for the coach is absurd. The football program is somewhat relevant and had playoff and championship game appearances. Sure he screws up here and there but he is a decent coach imo. Can't say the same for the guy who coaches men's hoops . 

The football program is hardly relevant in the eyes of the students, who are all paying the Athletics Fee of $499, which supports 20 NCAA D1 intercollegiate sports. In total, 87% of the Towson Athletics Budget of $24,795,399 (in 2018) comes from student fees and other institutional support. In Exchange for this support students are admitted free to all TU sporting events. Few, if any sports fans in Baltimore consider Towson Football to be a part of their life to the degree that they will actually buy a ticket and attend a game. There is no data that would say that Towson Athletics success of any kind influences additional admissions. This is reality.  Moving Football to FBS would not change that as even then the program would not be competing for a national championship as we would not be in the Power 5. It would cost a lot more money in salaries, scholarships, staff, and stadium infrastructure, and would, in theory, put a lot of stress on the surrounding roads and such which are not built to handle such traffic.

Given a current enrollment of 22,923 students and over 165,000 alumni, we only saw an "announced" crowd of 4,807 come to the U on Saturday to watch the #9 ranked Tigers play Albany.  Seeing that students get in FREE, that number is not indicative of being "somewhat relevant". In 50 years of play the Towson Football team has been to NCAA postseason play seven times, D3: 1976 / D2: 1983-84-86 / D1-FCS: 2011-13-18. As much as it pains me to say, no one cares  about who wins the FCS Championship the same way no one cares who wins or plays in the bowl game over in Annapolis each year.  

Contrast that with men's basketball having been played for 60 years, and has made the NCAA Postseason Play in 1977-78-90-91 and other postseason tournaments in 2014-16, for a total of 6 appearances. Pat Skerry has coached the Tigers for 9 seasons, has had 5 winning seasons (3rd best behind Angotti (7) and Truax (6). Skerry has the most 20 or more win seasons with 3, and he took over following 15 straight losing seasons from Terry Truax, The Jas man, Michael not Mike Hunt, and Pat's Cats Kennedy, the later of which also pushed Towson into NCAA Academic Probation.  

Considering the football program is costing Towson more than $8.5 million a year and plays in the FCS, which is not even D1 football (no bowls, and will never, ever have a chance to compete for the national title that the public recognizes) and men's basketball is roughly 1/3 of that cost and has change to actually compete for a national championship, I'd say the men's & women's basketball +men's and women's lacrosse programs are a far better investment and have much more chance for national recognition as they actually at some point can play in the real national championship tournaments for their 4 sports.

• Like 2

Booger, I assume that you work for the program. So, you are saying let’s eliminate FB at Towson. We are not in the same market as VCU and will not be invited to the A10. Therefore, stuck in a watered down CAA,the chance to become a relevant MBB program on a National level is highly unlikely.  At this point , if we shutter the FB program, you might as well eliminate the entire dept. 

Tell me RUNDAPOWER.... what does having a football program at Towson really do to benefit the University to the tune of spending $8,000,000+ a year? I look forward to your intelligent and cogent response.

Why would Towson need to move to the A10?  The goal is to WIN the league you are in, so if the CAA is watered down and Towson can win it every year, I'd take that. For each game a team plays in the NCAA Tournament, its conference gets a payout, spread over six years. For playing one game the team's conference gets roughly $1.7 million. In the CAA the team that plays the game gets 1/2 of that number, and if you win one game the $$$ go up. If a team makes it all the way to the final game, it can earn as many as five units, totaling $8.3 million.

Also, Baltimore is the #26 media market, Richmond is around the mid 50's, so yeah, Baltimore is a much better media market for a conference than Richmond, or Spokane, WA, which is #76 and the home of Gonzaga. VCU was gobbled up by the A10 because they were a good basketball program and a natural local rival for the University of Richmond.  The A10 already has 14 teams, so there is little reason to add two more schools to the media mix as that means less money for everyone. The A10 is not raking in the bucks.

Edited by BoogerJ

Hard to image that Towson a school with 23,000 students,12,000 residential students with the opening of Towson Row and 101 York and 165,000 alumni should drop football.  8.5 million on a 600 million to 1 billion dollar budget sounds small.The only school our size that does not have a team is George Mason.?                                        

Rather see a change in head football coach and leadership to win games and increase attendance . The student tailgating policy is  still a mess and we need more parking lots to tailgate without buying a parking pass.

Just now, Tigerfan said:

Hard to image that Towson a school with 23,000 students,12,000 residential students with the opening of Towson Row and 101 York and 165,000 alumni should drop football.  8.5 million on a 600 million to 1 billion dollar budget sounds small.The only school our size that does not have a team is George Mason.?                                        

Rather see a change in head football coach and leadership to win games and increase attendance . The student tailgating policy is  still a mess and we need more parking lots to tailgate without buying a parking pass.

See no reason why we cannot draw 10,000 to 15,000 a game as Delaware. We are a similar size school.

1 hour ago, Tigerfan said:

See no reason why we cannot draw 10,000 to 15,000 a game as Delaware. We are a similar size school.

Delaware doesn’t have to compete with pro sports and FBS schools for fan support. 

So in the last 11 games, Towson is 4-7 overall.  We will have gone at least 385 days without a home CAA win.  

Take out a God awful NC Central team and we have out last 5 home games of...

L Albany 38-21  Won turnover battle 2 to 1   Out-gained 511-280

L Villanova 52-45 OT  Won turnover battle 3 to 1   Out-gained 574-470

L Duquesne 31-10  Even turnover battle 1 to 1   Out-gained 436-357

L JMU 38-17   Lost turnover battle 1 to 0    Out-gained 576-514

L Maine 35-28   Lost turnover battle 2 to 1   Out-gained 408-367

0-5  38.8 to 24.2/game   +1 Overall in T.O.    Out-gained 501 yards against to 397 yards/game

Getting punked at home like this in inexcusable 

3 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

First part yes, second part no.  Student tailgates or not they do not show up. Saturday was a very nice mid October day and there were 4,800 people there. I pulled into the parking lot at 3:50 and there were still 40-50 spots in lot 14. I was shocked as I thought I'd be walking from the Glenn/Union garages.

There's a very good amount of lots to tailgate and park in around the stadium.  They open up 4 hours before (like most schools) and people still don't show. As an alum, who went to pretty much every football game while in school and a majority after graduation, and tailgated for both, the whining about tailgating is just f'ing annoying. 

The school and football program aren't there to throw college kids an outdoor party 6 times a year.