• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tigers, Flacco trounce Bison, 56-7 (story up)

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/10/19/football-big-day-on-both-sides-leads-18-to-homecoming-victory.aspx

Tom Flacco thew for six TD passes in the first half and five were to Shane Leatherbury in this 56-7 romp before 6,114 at Unitas Stadium on Saturday. Flacco set a record for most TDs by a quarterback in a game and Leatherbury tied the record for most TD catches by a receiver set by Andrae Brown in 2005.

Not much to say about this one. Good thing that the backups came in during the second half and we played four quarterbacks aside from Flacco, but they were basically just handing the ball off. Aaron Speight made his debut, the D3 transfer from Susquehanna, who became eligible all of a sudden. Guys, watch his reaction and his teammates reaction on the sidelines.

That's what football at this level is all about.

BTW, the kids had fun, even if all of them didn't come to the game.

Towson also was able to run the ball with ease, which was a bit surprising because their D-line wasn't small (their O-line was). Yeedee had 112 yards (44-yard run). Feliz-Platt had 101 yards and a 45-yard run. Speight had 43 yards on 11 attempts, but he looked very good when most of the starting O-linemen were in. Once they knew we were going to run the ball and the backups were in, Speight had little room to run. We even brought in r-freshman Sean Bryan, who I wasn't even sure if he was healthy or not. 

Speaking of health. Shuman was out again. So was Jabari Allen. Coby Tippett (broken hand) played but didn't start. I do like Robert Topps' potential there as a strong safety/nickel corner at 6-3, 200. Jirhe Love got the start for Shuman over Robert Javier, who struggled last week, but it was tough to tell how he played because Bucknell's quarterbacks were bad.

Also good to see D'Ago Hunter finally break a 92-yard touchdown run. He's very quick but not as fast as Shane Simpson or Leatherbury, but it shows their lack of speed when he blew by them.

Forgot to mention that Charles Murphy, the freshman wide receiver played tonight. He's really talented and could help if Jabari Allen and Daniel Thompson don't get back from their injuries. But he's also thin and could use a year off. He can play three more games and still get a redshirt. He dropped a pass from Jeff Miller tonight, which wasn't a good sign. But if he's better than all but three or four guys, they have to seriously consider playing him and burning that redshirt.

Hope to see Jabari Allen next week but who knows. He looks great on the sidelines and was in uniform. I asked about him but Rob well, like most coaches, doesn't like talking about injuries but he was fairly blunt in his answer. Now to the comments.

Nice for the d3 guy. Something he won’t forget. Same for Shane and Toms big days. I’m sure they didn’t imagine their senior season like this but they are scrappy under looked transfer players which Towson has thrived on. 

Nice stat stuffer W. 6 TD passes in 1 half, regardless of who the opponent is, is impressive. Same for Leatherbury catching 5 TD’s in 1 half. He was only 2 away from tying the all-time NCAA record for 1 game. Flacco otoh, wasn’t even close, as the record is 11 TD passes in 1 game!!!

Opening comments Ambrose

"Congratulate my team on winning. It feels a lot better. I like to thank all the Towson faithful, the ones that came home for the weekend. I hope we gave them something to smile about and a good reason to come home. There's a whole bunch of people that if they followed football in the last 20-30 years that when we lined up against Bucknell and put your helmets and shoulder pads on that we get our butts kicked though on occasion we would find a way to beat them. This is a little bit better. It's good to get back on track. It's good to play football the way we know how to play football the way we practiced football equals the results that we want. We played to win, not just to play football and we accomplished our goal.

On practice this week

"It was awesome. We got back to more simplistic stuff, at least offensively. We started practice with semi-live periods and we decided that we weren't going to come out of the gate slow anymore. You try playing football at 7:45am. You have to grind through it. It's tough but I think we found an answer and it showed up tonight.

On non-conference opponent

"Look at some of the FBS guys. They are playing non-conference opponents in November. Scheduling is not what is was 10 years ago or five years ago. It's a bit different. It's not about them. Our guys are starting to understand that. It's about what we do, how we do it or don't."

Flacco on Shane getting open

"They ran their base stuff. They said they were going to do what they were good at as a defense and you have to respect that. We were prepared for that. When we got down there on a couple of big runs, Coach Ambrose set up Shane in a good position. He's a target I like to throw to. He's a great player.

Flacco on Speight and other guys playing

"These games are fun when other guys get to play. I'm honestly most excited about that Marcel Allen pick at the end. I've seen that a couple of times on scout team. He's done that on me a couple of times and that was aggravating so it's cool to see him do that in a game."

On setting record for TD passes in a game

"I didn't know that until now. Imagine if I played the second half. Both of us would have had fun in the second half. Understand what happened. I'll take pride in that. It doesn't really matter. We just have to focus on the next game and get ready for JMU."

Shane on tying record

"It's crazy and amazing. Coach Ambrose was setting me up in the red zone. Tom put it on the money every time. I didn't have to do too much."

Ambrose on the Oline

A quality game. A quality win. It always starts up front. This group has really started to jell. We were rotating pieces for a long time. The continuity of that group is showing itself. We ran the ball extremely well and they blocked well. We had so many guys carry the ball and they had success doing it. It tells you something about the guys carrying the ball and the guys blocking. The big boys had a good night.

On injuries

Most of the list that you had heard or seen, you will not see them again. Most of them are all starters. It's not about them. We have quality players that are stepping up. Those quality young players that don't have that experience stepped up with voice and confidence. That's what they're missing. That's you get from experience. The roster is what it is and our guys don't care. Next guy up. Play really hard and play like a team.

On Allen

He's not ready. There's a whole lot of points scored by individuals last year that are not on the field right now. That don't show up on the scoreboard and we have to find a way to manufacture that. I'd love to play those guys. I'm never going to put a guy in harm's way. I'm not going to bring a guy back when he's not ready and he's not ready. That's the end of the conversation right there. I want these guys to play too. Everybody wants these guys to play. Everybody would love to see Shane Simpson and Ron Johnson and (Allen) and whole bunch of guys, but it's not going to happen. We have to win with the guys we have.

On Coby Tippett

He broke his hand and did some things that took him out of the starting lineup this week. As such, we found somebody to step up and the play the right way and did very, very well.

How does this game set up for the rest of the schedule?

This is game we needed coming off the bye. Go back in time. Tough overtime loss against a hot Villanova team. Then you have to play Florida. They're good, obviously, Then you have a bye week. You gave everything you had for two weeks against tough competition that's exceptional. We weren't hung over. We were a little bit lazy. It's my fault. It's all my fault. I wasn't pissed off enough. I didn't push us hard enough. And I give Albany a lot of credit. They are hot right now and are playing really well. This is the game we needed and needed to practice hard and hurt and still succeed. We needed to play hurt and still succeed. That's what we did. Our guys decided that our team goals were important than our own discomfort. We went to win a ballgame. I couldn't be more proud of them."

Shane on JMU

It's going to be a hard game. We're not worried about who they are. We just have to play hard. Our opponent doesn't matter. It's you versus you. You have to be the best you can be.

Flacco on JMU

I'm excited to go down there. It's a cool atmosphere. I'm hoping it's going to be a packed house. They have a great defense. They came up here last year and they beat us pretty well. That's  game that we didn't really have a shot. Just have to focus on ourselves this week.

It’ll be tough for them next week.. leaving the best fans in the caa and the most intimidating/feared student section to go play in front of 24k fans. 

“Didn’t have a shot” lol. Home game and we averaged like 42 a game going into that. A competent staff it woulda been a hell of a game 

I'd like to see Speight become part of the RB rotation. Small sample size, but he looks more powerful than Feliz-Platt.

Overall, this was the performance we needed, but let's be honest: defenses the rest of the season will be MUCH faster than Bucknell's. 

Also, glad that Clark was back out on the field.