• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
DocFan59

Towson @ JMU

Lets get pumped this week guys!! We get the chance to beat JMU on their Homecoming! We gotta end their win streak and send them packin. I'll be getting hype all week for this game. I was hoping to start a thread to see what you all think of this matchup. Is there anything we need to be worried about? Or are there any injuries that will scare us? 

#UnitedWeRoar

Hey DocFan59, welcome to the bard and tell us a little bit about yourself. You don't have to give your name but are you a student, an alum or just a fan? Where are you from?

Both of my parents went to Towson so I was raised on Tigers football. I am from Northern VA and I am a DC sports fan, Towson is the only out of state team I root for. 

Probably going to take a perfect game out of us to beat JMU anywhere.  Definitely can't afford to get into a shootout with them but I don't really think our defense, even at its healthiest, is capable of keeping the Dukes in the teens.  Perhaps if there's a deluge of rain throughout the game there could be that chance.

• Thanks 1

We have a ton of injuries on both sides of the ball. Six guys are out for the season with ACL injuries including star running back Shane Simpson. We have a handful of guys that are iffy. Starting WR Jabari Allen, backup WR Caleb Smith (who was starting with Allen out), starting cornerback Brandon Shuman, backup WR Daniel Thompson, DT Tibo Debaille (might be most serious injury). If Shuman and Allen return, we have a better chance but it's a slim one. They are the team to beat in the CAA and are the No. 2 team in the nation for a reason. Tough crowd, balanced team. Good on both sides of the ball but they are not perfect. We can score on them but the way our defense has played against Albany and Villanova, it's tough to see us stopping them.

So based on our injuries to our WR core we have no choice but to try and run the ball. JMU will be tough with the run, but their secondary has been doing well when it comes to turnovers. There might be some soft spots, but what do you all think we will need to do to drive the ball down the field?

15 minutes ago, DocFan59 said:

So based on our injuries to our WR core we have no choice but to try and run the ball. JMU will be tough with the run, but their secondary has been doing well when it comes to turnovers. There might be some soft spots, but what do you all think we will need to do to drive the ball down the field?

We don't have our top two running backs. Flacco is really our best runner so you need to mix up the RPO, some short passes to the tight end (Chris Clark) and WR Shane Leatherbury. I think you have to take what the defense gives you. If the box is not stacked, spread them out and try to run the ball. If it is, then we're going to have to use the pass.

After the loss to JMU last year, I remember now really being too upset because it seemed like a boys vs men situation. They were bigger and faster than we were. I doubt that has changed, so I guess we need to hope for some big plays, and win in the turnover and penalty departments

We definitely need a strong strategy to keep the game close. Especially with the injuries we face, this game will be a tough one. And ya know that the coaches will be working overtime for this game. What do we need to look forward to?

58 minutes ago, TSU86 said:

After the loss to JMU last year, I remember now really being too upset because it seemed like a boys vs men situation. They were bigger and faster than we were. I doubt that has changed, so I guess we need to hope for some big plays, and win in the turnover and penalty departments

I would say we worked hard in the offseason to get bigger in the weight room and to add size to both lines based on the Maine and JMU losses. I don't think that's a huge issue anymore even though a lot of guys are nicked up or are out on the D-line. Sure, you lose Simpson and if Shuman doesn't play, those are two of your faster players on both sides of the ball. We need to be more physical up front on both sides.