• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Another perspective on TF at the next level

This is not a negative question as I am thankful that TF is our quarterback.  He has done some great things in his season plus and hope he finishes the season strong.  It is not his fault that his brother is a veteran Super Bowl winning QB (regardless of what people think of his skills now) and a lot in life is not what you know its who you know but my question is if Tom's last name was say Flanagan instead of Flacco is he getting the same looks from scouts?

44 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

This is not a negative question as I am thankful that TF is our quarterback.  He has done some great things in his season plus and hope he finishes the season strong.  It is not his fault that his brother is a veteran Super Bowl winning QB (regardless of what people think of his skills now) and a lot in life is not what you know its who you know but my question is if Tom's last name was say Flanagan instead of Flacco is he getting the same looks from scouts?

Not the same at all. I think we all understand that. But winning conference offensive player OTY and having a strong end of the season here. Definitely at least worth a look. Havent really seen him push the ball downfield though

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

No he wouldn't. It would be cool for a Towson grad to make it in the NFL at a premier position. But the Taysom Hill comparison is off (except for both being old entering the NFL), I just don't see him tackling people on ST, lining up FB, RB, WR, TE and blocking on FGs/XPs.  Teams aren't going waste 1 of their 53 spots on a "3rd QB" who can do gadget plays but probably not much else. Sorry!

He’ll definitely go to camp with a team, it’s more a question of will he be drafted or go as an UDFA? If I had to guess, I’d guess the latter. Analytics would suggest that an FCS QB who isn’t very tall and doesn’t have a cannon for an arm is more likely to be an UDFA. Of course, it only takes 1 team to take a late round flier on him. I wonder if his game might be better suited to the CFL?

40 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

No he wouldn't. It would be cool for a Towson grad to make it in the NFL at a premier position. But the Taysom Hill comparison is off (except for both being old entering the NFL), I just don't see him tackling people on ST, lining up FB, RB, WR, TE and blocking on FGs/XPs.  Teams aren't going waste 1 of their 53 spots on a "3rd QB" who can do gadget plays but probably not much else. Sorry!

The Ravens did.

40 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I spoke with an NFL front office administrator who said the opposite.  They know he can play multiple positions and that is a huge asset for him.  $ talk and BS is BS. Teams won’t spend the money to send Scouts in at this time of the year unless he’s real.

I'm not an idiot to think that Tom is going to be drafted as high as T-West or even Bushrod. He probably won't get drafted at all because he's not coming off a great season. But to say he's too short and is a CFL quarterback? That's so five years ago. Trace McSorley doesn't have an NFL arm and he's 6-feet tall. If he played at Towson, would he have been drafted? Probably not. Flacco is faster than McSorley and should run under a 4.6 40.  

2 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

I spoke with an NFL front office administrator who said the opposite.  They know he can play multiple positions and that is a huge asset for him.  $ talk and BS is BS. Teams won’t spend the money to send Scouts in at this time of the year unless he’s real.

And that's why 28 or whatever NFL teams have come out to watch him. Not because Joe is his brother. Because he's a fantastic athlete. Julian Edelman was a similar-type of athlete at Kent State as a quarterback. That was over 10 years ago. I'm sure he doesn't want to change positions, but he may have no choice.

Saying he might be suited to the CFL isn’t denigrating his game. It’s simply a recognition that his running abilities, on a wider field, might be an attractive commodity.  Several former CFL QB’s have migrated south an found success in the NFL. “Warren Moon, please report to the White courtesy phone.”