• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Athletic Department Ideas/Suggestions

11 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

I understand the idea of, as Caret said, NC State to North Carolina or Michigan State to Michigan. He brought in Waddell, flashy and full of ideas, but they were all costly and he went well over budget. SO, what was the net result...Baseball and Soccer were sacrificed to try and make up for the deficit Waddell incurred. Ultimately baseball was saved, but a successful soccer program was the sacrificial lamb. WE JUST DONT HAVE THE MONEY. Fundraising is not nearly what is required and we are still making up for Waddell overspending...and it is done through the hefty student fees that each student , including the ones who dont give a damn about athletics, at Towson is paying. WE NEED A SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER. Even if we get one, it will take several years until we see the benefits of that money. Paying 445,000 to a basketball coach who has won nothing and not getting donations is a very bad combination. 

The vision should be to take a first step to financial common sense.  I know we live in a world of immediate gratification....as does Mike Waddell...and we can clearly see the result of that mentality...NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll probably agree to disagree about the spending with Wadell and why those programs were sacrificed. I was told it was brought to Waddell and not originally his idea. Maybe he overspent on things but he also brought some strong ideas as well. He put a much greater emphasis on academic support, strength and conditioning, sports medicine and community outreach. But I'm not going to get back to that old topic on this thread because we're talking about trying to improve the marketing, tickets, etc.

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

We'll probably agree to disagree about the spending with Wadell and why those programs were sacrificed. I was told it was brought to Waddell and not originally his idea. Maybe he overspent on things but he also brought some strong ideas as well. He put a much greater emphasis on academic support, strength and conditioning, sports medicine and community outreach. But I'm not going to get back to that old topic on this thread because we're talking about trying to improve the marketing, tickets, etc.

I could not agree with you more...those were all necessary, but my point is that we have to be financially responsible if we ever have any hope to being competitive on a regular basis. That needs to be the first step...don't spend more than we have. We may have to live being who we are for a few years, but long term, the key is to be financially stable....thats what happened at JMU and now they are just printing money. 

We cannot now or ever compare ourselves to JMU.  They are NOT our peer.  In football our only peer in the CAA is Villanova.  Both FCS football in a metropolitan area with the NFL.

In basketball our peers are Drexel and Northeastern and to an extent Hofstra.  Again mid major hoops in a metropolitan area.

JMU is the only game in town.  It's the only game in a 90 mile radius.  Plus, where do their students come from?? I don't have facts on this but I would be that most of their students live farther from home than Towson's.  Thus, more of their students stay on campus most weekends and don't head home to PG and Montgomery County.  Or to Jersey.

Plus, I went to the Madison game and the announced attendance was not what was in the stadium.  And it was their homecoming.  If it was sold out, there were about 5,000 no shows. Or like at Towson, they stayed in the parking lot and never came to the game.

I tailgate with 10 others every week, and homecoming I have never seen the parking lots as packed as they were.  Went in to watch the game, and we all looked around and said where the hell did everybody go??  So, someone, be it the athletic dept or whoever, is getting people to Johnny U parking lots, now they gotta figure out how to get them into the stadium

One thing that might be an asterisk for the Homecoming attendance number is that Morgan State students made an effort to crash our (HBCU) homecoming tailgate so all the party goers in the parking lot were not all Towson students. Search towson homecoming on Twitter to see what i mean

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

I understand the idea of, as Caret said, NC State to North Carolina or Michigan State to Michigan. He brought in Waddell, flashy and full of ideas, but they were all costly and he went well over budget. SO, what was the net result...Baseball and Soccer were sacrificed to try and make up for the deficit Waddell incurred. Ultimately baseball was saved, but a successful soccer program was the sacrificial lamb. WE JUST DONT HAVE THE MONEY. Fundraising is not nearly what is required and we are still making up for Waddell overspending...and it is done through the hefty student fees that each student , including the ones who dont give a damn about athletics, at Towson is paying. WE NEED A SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER. Even if we get one, it will take several years until we see the benefits of that money. Paying 445,000 to a basketball coach who has won nothing and not getting donations is a very bad combination. 

The vision should be to take a first step to financial common sense.  I know we live in a world of immediate gratification....as does Mike Waddell...and we can clearly see the result of that mentality...NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think Towsons' student fees are high, check out the school down in Harrisonburg

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

. We may have to live being who we are for a few years, but long term, the key is to be financially stable....thats what happened at JMU and now they are just printing money. 

They are not.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Agree.  The academic support staff for athletes was non-existent before waddell came along, hence the low APR scores.  Facilities began to upgrade too. Also, the athletes aren't eating their pregame meals in the glenn dinning hall anymore, like they were my first few years of school, 08-10

2 hours ago, Blounge said:

One thing that might be an asterisk for the Homecoming attendance number is that Morgan State students made an effort to crash our (HBCU) homecoming tailgate so all the party goers in the parking lot were not all Towson students. Search towson homecoming on Twitter to see what i mean

I heard but I have binoculars in the press box and saw Towson students out there.

21 hours ago, FBS OR BUST said:

We cannot now or ever compare ourselves to JMU.  They are NOT our peer.  In football our only peer in the CAA is Villanova.  Both FCS football in a metropolitan area with the NFL.

In basketball our peers are Drexel and Northeastern and to an extent Hofstra.  Again mid major hoops in a metropolitan area.

JMU is the only game in town.  It's the only game in a 90 mile radius.  Plus, where do their students come from?? I don't have facts on this but I would be that most of their students live farther from home than Towson's.  Thus, more of their students stay on campus most weekends and don't head home to PG and Montgomery County.  Or to Jersey.

Plus, I went to the Madison game and the announced attendance was not what was in the stadium.  And it was their homecoming.  If it was sold out, there were about 5,000 no shows. Or like at Towson, they stayed in the parking lot and never came to the game.

I tailgate with 10 others every week, and homecoming I have never seen the parking lots as packed as they were.  Went in to watch the game, and we all looked around and said where the hell did everybody go??  So, someone, be it the athletic dept or whoever, is getting people to Johnny U parking lots, now they gotta figure out how to get them into the stadium

I agree with the Villanova comparison except for 2 things. Why can't we get better in basketball. There are great players around us. Should we settle for middle of the pack Skerry forever?

Vilianova has about 9,000-10,000 students and we have 23,000 but we draw the same amount for football? The commuter excuse no longer exist with our 12,000 residential students.

Still believe our administration is not promoting sports enough for basketball and football. 1,500 students-2,500 students for Delaware and Homecoming ?