• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Athletic Department Ideas/Suggestions

I have reached out to the ticket office 3-4 times in the last 2-3 weeks asking if the flex plan will be available for men’s BB — no response at all !!!

i am pissed !!!! In the business world, this is unacceptable. They must have art students running things 

Edited by TSU86

15 hours ago, TSU86 said:

I have reached out to the ticket office 3-4 times in the last 2-3 weeks asking if the flex plan will be available for men’s BB — no response at all !!!

i am pissed !!!! In the business world, this is unacceptable. They must have art students running things 

Not surprising. No promotions, no advertisements, awful ticket office (I had to call them numerous times to renew my season tickets that I've had for 6+ years!). Seems like they put all their eggs in one basket, for the Villanova football game (which they did a great job for that one, and it worked as the crowd was very good), and then nothing for the rest of the season or for hoops.

• Thanks 1

What the heck is going on in that Athletic Office/Ticket Office?  With attendance and season ticket bases being so low it should not be hard to cater to those who do have season tickets.  Plus the second the phone rings it should be answered.  There is no way someone like TSU86 should have to call multiple times in order to try and buy tickets.  Not surprising but although they should I am sure no one from that department follows this board.  With everything else it makes no sense.  Unfortunately we do not have a huge following, but because we do not have a huge following it should be easier for that department to tend to those with interest.  I spent over 20 years working in the sales/ticket office for a professional sports team with I am sure five times the size of Towson's football and season ticket base combined and not returning any call was inexcusable.  I know it cost money to advertise but you know what doesn't cost anything?  Email.  Students have email addresses, they have alumni email addresses that is a quick and inexpensive way to get the word out.  You can't build something if the people tasked to build are not building.  The last two post are frustrating and sad. 

Game Tuesday against UMBC. A team, most fans/students, know due to locality and the NCAA tournament. What are they doing to put butts in the seat and promote this game? Crickets?

• Like 1

They do promote the games on 1057 FM. Just heard a commercial this morning, but it was promoting the Vermont game on Saturday night on 1300am. I assume the promo on Monday will mention the UMBC game. But yes, they are having a coat drive and should promote a rare home game in December a bit more than just radio ads. 

On 11/7/2019 at 8:26 AM, El Tigre Oro said:

What is the vision of Towson Athletics? When Caret/Waddell were together, their vision was to make Towson 1a to College Park being the 1 in Maryland College Sports. Is that the current vision of this regime? Do we need a new regime? How do we separate from the other Division 1 schools in the area and not get lumped in.

How do we become Colorado State?

The problem with this vision was Caret/Waddell wanted to make Towson to UMD as NC State is to UNC or Michigan State is to UM which is basically an impossible analogy to fulfill. We are in the CAA with a $70 million endowment whereas they halve endowments at or near a billion and play in the ACC and BIG. They are also R1 institutions and Towson is not, which means big grants and nonsense that matters to them doesn’t to Towson as much. Plus the USM would have to approve of us being a true sister school to UMD which wouldn’t go over well with other institutions in the consortium. 

My favorite part of this whole thing is Caret and Waddell also often said sport was the front porch to this school, but the former presided over our largest period of student population growth in 30 years and we sucked at the “revenue” sports. Must have been the reverse front porch or something...or sport means jack all to Towson students outside of the select few who post here, go to games, etc. There really isn’t a lot that can be done about that.

3 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

What the heck is going on in that Athletic Office/Ticket Office?  With attendance and season ticket bases being so low it should not be hard to cater to those who do have season tickets.  Plus the second the phone rings it should be answered.  There is no way someone like TSU86 should have to call multiple times in order to try and buy tickets.  Not surprising but although they should I am sure no one from that department follows this board.  With everything else it makes no sense.  Unfortunately we do not have a huge following, but because we do not have a huge following it should be easier for that department to tend to those with interest.  I spent over 20 years working in the sales/ticket office for a professional sports team with I am sure five times the size of Towson's football and season ticket base combined and not returning any call was inexcusable.  I know it cost money to advertise but you know what doesn't cost anything?  Email.  Students have email addresses, they have alumni email addresses that is a quick and inexpensive way to get the word out.  You can't build something if the people tasked to build are not building.  The last two post are frustrating and sad. 

That office is largely staffed by interns...e.g students who are paying for the privilege to work for free to sell tickets to teams that they pay for in student fees in stadia that they pay for in student fees in return for academic credit. Oh yes and by doing a job for free that someone should get paid to do they also undercut their entry level salaries...Do you really think they care about one of the 274 season ticket holders needs? Would you? I get that it sucks not to get the care you should for the money you pay but that’s going on as well.

This thread asked for ideas so how about the athletic department makes a big deal out of the fact that the games are not actually free to students but that they are paying $2100/year for SECU and to be season ticket holders for every single team on campus? Instead of looking at it as the games being “free” maybe more students would be inclined to go if they looked at it as “well I’m paying for it anyway may as well go”? 

2 hours ago, towson2006 said:

That office is largely staffed by interns...e.g students who are paying for the privilege to work for free to sell tickets to teams that they pay for in student fees in stadia that they pay for in student fees in return for academic credit. Oh yes and by doing a job for free that someone should get paid to do they also undercut their entry level salaries...Do you really think they care about one of the 274 season ticket holders needs? Would you? I get that it sucks not to get the care you should for the money you pay but that’s going on as well.

Maybe doing the grunt work, but not the actual ticket staff that are to be calling. They typically have 2-3 that are not interns, however there is high turnover in that.

1 hour ago, towson2006 said:

This thread asked for ideas so how about the athletic department makes a big deal out of the fact that the games are not actually free to students but that they are paying $2100/year for SECU and to be season ticket holders for every single team on campus? Instead of looking at it as the games being “free” maybe more students would be inclined to go if they looked at it as “well I’m paying for it anyway may as well go”? 

$2,100?? Are you speaking of student athletic fees?

I'm not going to get into it with our resident sports management professor, but college is expensive and the athletics fees suck. But 2006, your employer nickle and dimes its students for almost everything (as does every other college), and there are some fee's for services that other students don't use buy are stuck paying.

Fees per year of similar and conference schools:

Towson $998 in state $956 out of state (2019)

University of Maryland $812 (2018)

William & Mary $1,980 per year (2018)

James Madison $2,058 (2019)

VCU $828 (2018 not sure if per semester or yearly)

College of Charleston $1,236 (2016)

UNCW $750 (2017)

George Mason $1,752 (2019; other items included, not solely athletics)

UMBC $1,074 (2017)

Univ of Albany $582 (2017)

Univ of New Hampshire $1,075 (2019)

Stony Brook $572 (2019)