• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Athletic Department Ideas/Suggestions

23 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Here are the same ones that I keep saying, mostly in regards to game-day/facilities:

I know some are not feasible, but they are a dream.

-Better food options (especially at SECU)  Coming from work and the only options are hot dogs and cold pizza? Come on!

-Bring back the lounge with food and beers at SECU

-Better music, graphics, and PA at events. Please update! They are old, corny and not good.

-Play highlights on the big screens before the game, from the previous game(s), instead of the stupid "whose who at TU?!"  Play recordings of the players/coaches practicing and or speaking so we get to know them better.

-Stop the outdated "ITS TIME TO HEAR THE ROAR IN BALTIMORE!" In front of 4K at Unitas and 900 at SECU

-Move the students back to the visitors side at SECU.  Why are the few that are there on the home side?! (I know why, but...) 

-Give out of town scores 

-Better giveaways for students and regular fans

-"Family deals"  4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks and 4 Towson hats, $50

-Do what the Orioles do, Kids Cheer Free.  The money off of the parents tickets, plus food and drink and a souvenir is worth it.

-Paint the seats Black. The gold looks awful in the lower level, this was the biggest blunder of SECU design/construction

-Remove the track and move the scoreboard closer.

-Sell Premium tailgate parking on the open side of the stadium. Around 20-25 cars, where they can pull up behind the endzone (where the scoreboard is) and park and tailgate all game.

-Easier in and out of Auburn Drive, especially for football games/tailgating.

-Besides the first home game of the football season, try and schedule them all for 3:30.

SECU did bring beer upstairs. Cowboys and Rednecks Bar downtown had Coors $3, Blue Moon $4 and Spiked Arnold Palmers $4 (Cash only, no food).

Like Unitas Stadium, they are selling Chick Fil A sandwiches and chips at a concession stand in the arena.

Music and graphic were much better last night than in years past.

What is the vision of Towson Athletics? When Caret/Waddell were together, their vision was to make Towson 1a to College Park being the 1 in Maryland College Sports. Is that the current vision of this regime? Do we need a new regime? How do we separate from the other Division 1 schools in the area and not get lumped in.

How do we become Colorado State?

1 hour ago, El Tigre Oro said:

What is the vision of Towson Athletics? When Caret/Waddell were together, their vision was to make Towson 1a to College Park being the 1 in Maryland College Sports. Is that the current vision of this regime? Do we need a new regime? How do we separate from the other Division 1 schools in the area and not get lumped in.

That is the million dollar question. I feel like most in the department and the fans are content with the status quo. A good year, some average, some bad. The AD does not exhume energy or passion into the programs. With that being said, I don't believe the University president does either.  Tim and Kim (haha) are not Mike Waddell and Loeschke.

Leonard was supposed to be someone who could drum up support and donations from alum, companies and advertisers. Has this happened?  It doesn't seem like it. He hired Dan Crowley (sorry older Tiger fans, who love him), who didn't have experience in the job he was hired for. The only qualification was that he played football here, was good, and played in the CFL. We need support and money from recent graduates, and no one who graduated Towson UNIVERSITY knows or cares who he is. 

Why isn't the TAF calling/emailing past and current members for money and ideas? Why isn't the ticket office calling/emailing past and current ticket holders?? ( I had to contact them to renew my tickets that I've had since SECU opened and they still dropped the ball getting them out on time for the season!)  This is just bad business!

Sure we are strapped for money like any smaller university with programs that lose money.  We can't afford to fire coaches with contract years left like JMU, Delaware, WM, and Elon (who are our peers in our own conference) so we are already fighting and uphill battle.  If that is the case, why are we then handing out unwarranted and extremely long extensions to coaches that we currently have. No offense, Skerry and Rob are not/were not hot commodities were we should be worried about losing them to a bigger school, at a time where they haven't won a lot, or anything, and have not have had high consistency. Why so many years at a time?? Why after a 10-1 hoops start do you give him 8 years, in the middle of the season?!??! WHY?!   Richardson and Nadalean are coaches who have deserved and would need extensions, as I could see bigger programs offering them jobs with much higher salaries than they currently make. 

My biggest concern with the athletic department is reaching the students. If they do not attend games, they will not come back as alumni and donate to the Athletic Department.

The student crowds have really declined at the football games compared to the Terrence West years.

There appears very little effort to promote the game to the students. 

• Like 3

^exactly, Baltimore County elementary and middle schools you should have free tickets dropped off at their school principals office every week

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

My biggest concern with the athletic department is reaching the students. If they do not attend games, they will not come back as alumni and donate to the Athletic Department.

The student crowds have really declined at the football games compared to the Terrence West years.

There appears very little effort to promote the game to the students. 

The student crowds in the first two games were outstanding. Declined a bit for Albany but fine for Homecoming 

32 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

The student crowds in the first two games were outstanding. Declined a bit for Albany but fine for Homecoming 

I was thinking the Delaware game. They had maybe 1,500-2,000 students there.

Was not at Homecoming but the total crowd was the worse for Homecoming in a long time(6,000). We use to get 8-10 thousand when Waddell was here.

Edited by Tigerfan

49 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

I was thinking the Delaware game. They had maybe 1,500-2,000 students there.

Was not at Homecoming but the total crowd was the worse for Homecoming in a long time(6,000). We use to get 8-10 thousand when Waddell was here.

The losing didn’t help but you still had 100s of students in the parking lot and many people  in the alum lots that didn’t show up for both games. Last week was just a bad crowd.

I think they made strides this year with attendance but there was a buzz with Flacco coming back. Now the bigger question is whether they can draw as well next season with little buzz and probably an unranked team.

6 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

I understand the idea of, as Caret said, NC State to North Carolina or Michigan State to Michigan. He brought in Waddell, flashy and full of ideas, but they were all costly and he went well over budget. SO, what was the net result...Baseball and Soccer were sacrificed to try and make up for the deficit Waddell incurred. Ultimately baseball was saved, but a successful soccer program was the sacrificial lamb. WE JUST DONT HAVE THE MONEY. Fundraising is not nearly what is required and we are still making up for Waddell overspending...and it is done through the hefty student fees that each student , including the ones who dont give a damn about athletics, at Towson is paying. WE NEED A SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER. Even if we get one, it will take several years until we see the benefits of that money. Paying 445,000 to a basketball coach who has won nothing and not getting donations is a very bad combination. 

The vision should be to take a first step to financial common sense.  I know we live in a world of immediate gratification....as does Mike Waddell...and we can clearly see the result of that mentality...NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, I'm not naive enough to think there are no problems. But in five games this year, they've averaged 6,867. Last year, they averaged 6,114 and the year before was 5,377. The last two games were dreadful. You should never get 5,500 for Delaware, even if their fans don't show up and the Homecoming crowd of a little over 6,100 was bad. I guess last year was an improvement and the attendance looks worse because of the 2,000+ that attended the playoff game in a driving rainstorm.