• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Kent State outlasts MBB in overtime, 84-80

2 chances to win in regulation time. I was trying to think of when we’ve won a game at the buzzer during the Skerry era, other than N. Ireland. 

Hard to win when Fobbs & Betrand shoot 10-26, & Gray & Sanders contribute very little.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think Gibson is already our 2nd best player. I don’t quite understand why he didn’t touch the ball on either of the last 2 possessions in regulation.

Disappointing game from Sanders. I hope it was attributable to being rusty. Tunstall is a pretty decent outside shooter. Too bad he missed the foul shot that would have put us up by 3 near the end of regulation. I’m curious to see what kind of team we have once Timberlake & Solomon U (who sat out tonight) are back. 

I’m not sure we’re going to face a lot of teams in the CAA that are better than Kent State.

Edited by TSU88

I take that back. Fobbs & Betrand shot a combined 10-36, including an atrocious 1-15 from 3

Edited by TSU88

“I need to find a way to get my guys to win close games and we didn’t last year”. - Pat Skerry 11/5/19

This has been the case since he’s been here. Players have come and gone and we cannot win close games. It’s time for him to look in the mirror. I along with Everyone in my section cringe when he calls a time out to “draw up” a play. Garbage looks at the end of the game and nothing in OT. 

Good news is this was still a winnable game with gray fobbs betrand and sanders all having bad games. Skerry ball doesn’t work well agains big physical teams. Couldn’t get many offensive rebounds on misses. Tons of our shots got blocked and altered. 

Also those refs were pitiful. Ticky tack calls and so many fing reviews.AWFUL.  also there should not have been double technicals called. Should have been just one on which would have made the difference in the outcome 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

2 chances to win in regulation time. I was trying to think of when we’ve won a game at the buzzer during the Skerry era, other than N. Ireland. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think Gibson is already our 2nd best player. I don’t quite understand why he didn’t touch the ball on either of the last 2 possessions in regulation.

Disappointing game from Sanders. I hope it was attributable to being rusty. Tunstall is a pretty decent outside shooter. Too bad he missed the foul shot that would have put us up by 3 near the end of regulation. I’m curious to see what kind of team we have once Timberlake & Solomon U (who sat out tonight) are back. 

I’m not sure we’re going to face a lot of teams in the CAA that are better than Kent State.

Timberlake. Whose that?

Great game by the way. Well-played by both teams in terms of being a pretty clean game. You can say PS can't win close games the last two seasons, but last season, this team would have lost this game by 20 to a team that was as good as Kent State. They were the better team and still needed overtime to beat us. The Timberlake injury and the loss of Howard (permanent or temporary) is crushing the backcourt. Betrand is not a 33 minute player yet, just like Fobbs isn't a 44.5 minute player. Even if Timberlake can give you 10-15 minutes, that saves your backcourt a little.

I have more to say but on to the comments first.

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

“I need to find a way to get my guys to win close games and we didn’t last year”. - Pat Skerry 11/5/19

This has been the case since he’s been here. Players have come and gone and we cannot win close games. It’s time for him to look in the mirror. I along with Everyone in my section cringe when he calls a time out to “draw up” a play. Garbage looks at the end of the game and nothing in OT. 

Good news is this was still a winnable game with gray fobbs betrand and sanders all having bad games. Skerry ball doesn’t work well agains big physical teams. Couldn’t get many offensive rebounds on misses. Tons of our shots got blocked and altered. 

Also those refs were pitiful. Ticky tack calls and so many fing reviews.AWFUL.  also there should not have been double technicals called. Should have been just one on which would have made the difference in the outcome 

The tall bald ref is supposed to one of the better refs around. I've seen him many times and he had an off night. He couldn't even toss the ball up in overtime. They were going over our backs all night. 

But Pippen and Whittington are legit. Whittington was preseason All-MAC and Pippen had five blocks and probably altered 5-7 shots. He was the best player on the floor IMO. Not going to say just giving the ball to Fobbs and letting everybody clear is out is good or bad. But at some point, you have to let Gibson run the show. Let him find Gray or Fobbs coming off a screen. Gibson throwing the ball in with 4.8 seconds left? Maybe he's your best passer but he also might be your best three-point shooter. I'd rather have him take the last second shot from 27 than Betran from 22.

Comments from Pat Skerry

"Credit to Kent State, they have a really good team. We knew that. Our guys are bummed out. I told our guys that we have a lot of opportunities. Tonight we had a great opportunity. In the big picture, it's about performance. How do we perform to get where we want to get in March. Could have went either way. I like how hard our guys played. Brian and Allen going 10 for 33 and 1 for 15 from three, I'm not sure how we forced overtime. Brian is a guy we want taking shots and we believe in him. We'll get that right. There were some good things. We took care of the ball. We were decent defensively. We just didn't get it done. It was a high-level game."

On end of regulation

"We got the ball to Fobbs and if we're going to get beat, we want to get beat with the ball in his hands. We went to Allen after that...We did a good job of getting to the foul line and making free throws. Our defensive numbers were decent. I thought we ran around a bit late and weren't in gaps and got beat. We had them down a couple of times and weren't able to close the door. That's something we learn from. Brian has to be tired. That might have something to do with it."

On Pippen

He had good numbers. Hard cover because he puts it down. He made a tough shot on Dennis going left. They were good. We tried to schedule aggressively. I thought they were good enough to win our league. We could be if we get healthy and stay healthy.

On offense at the end

No morale victories. We got shots. We didn't turn the ball over much. We had one to start the overtime. I thought we got shots and got fouled. We didn't make them. We're going to shoot the ball more from the perimeter. Today was Sanders' first game and he didn't play well. That hurt us. Eventually against good teams, we need a little bit of that inside-out. Dennis does what Dennis does. Pretty happy with Charles. He's going to be a good player. At one point, we had (freshmen) Jason and Charles out there for a lot of minutes. That's only going to help us later on. 

That's the whole point behind playing a tough schedule. How did we perform? We have to look at that and get better. We have another tough one on Thursday. Brian is a guy that can make tough shots and he will.

On Gray

Probably should have played him a bit more. I thought they were hurting us. We didn't start out great defensively. Dennis and Charles were giving us good minutes up front. We were riding Brian and Allen on the other end of the floor. Juwan is going to be a good player for us. He is a good player for us.

On injuries affecting depth

We have eight. Eight is enough? Will hopefully get Nick back sooner than later. If we can stay healthy, that's enough guys. 

What was the deal with Solomon tonight? If we ever get everyone back, seems like we have more than an 8-man rotation (Gibson, Dottin, Fobbs, Betrand, Timberlake, Gray, Tunstall, Sanders, Thompson & Solomon)

More about the game

I don't think they are sure what they are going to do with Solomon. Now that Sanders is back and Solly is not 100%, he's probably not going to play. But what if another frontcourt player goes down? I think they'll just wait to decide.

I really think Gray should be used at power forward and small forward to rest Fobbs or when Fobbs goes to the 2. With Betrand playing so many minutes at the 2, Fobbs has to play nearly the entire game. It's obvious that Gray is not great defensively and is mediocre at putting the ball on the deck. But if you play him at the 3, have him post up smaller guys (he's 6-8, 220ish). You'd like to see him drive against bigger guys, but he's really just a face-up 4. And he's a damn good shooter. This is not Alex Gavrilovic. He's athletic. But when you have an offensive weapon who is unique, you have to use him. To me, Charles Thompson is a center. Sanders is a center. Dennis can play the 4/5 and it was great to see him make two threes. But you can't count on double digits every night from him.

Gibson was great until he probably got tired at the end. He didn't have any assists (great look to Sanders who got stuffed) but had just one turnover. I don't know if I've been more excited to see a freshman point guard develop and get better at all phases. Even defensively, if he's a bit overmatched, he does have quick hands and is tough for a 170-pounder. At some point, he's going to need to start. Dottin is fine off the bench. I thought he did a great job tonight playing within himself. He had five assists, four rebounds and no turnovers. Nearly a perfect game for a point guard, except that he shot 2 of 7 from the field and has no range past 3 feet. Why would defenders go out and play him tight? Make him shoot. That's what opponents are doing but I thought he played one of his best games in 23 minutes of action. And he does have the size to play with Gibson (6-2, 210) while playing some two guard or the point with Gibson at the 2.

And nobody is surprised that Sanders fouled out in 13 minutes. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for being injured most of preseason and barely practicing. He didn't move his feet well and always tend to reach. I was on the other side of the court, so I didn't see the double tech, but I know Pat was pissed. Again, tall bald ref with rough night. Maybe Sanders just gets it based on rep.

As for Howard, my assumption is that he's done. It would be nice to get a statement for the program. But I doubt he returns and that's more of a hunch then getting any big tip. At some point, just make a decision, unless they are waiting to see how Nick is when he returns. 

On to Gainesville and ESPN2 on Thursday night.