• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB Falls to Florida, 66-60

https://floridagators.com/sidearmstats/mbball/team-stats;period=F

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/11/14/mens-basketball-towson-edged-by-no-15-florida.aspx

You almost kind of hope you lose by 10 instead of not scoring the last two minutes after the game was tied at 60-60. When Juwan Gray hit a three-pointer in the corner with 2:14 left, Towson maybe had a chance for the biggest win in school history? But the offense slumped down the stretch as Brian Fobbs once again struggled to score. He wound up with 12 points, but was 0-for 6 from three and is now 0-for-15 for the season. He also had five of the team's 13 turnovers. Freshman Jason Gibson also struggled going 0-for-7 from the field and 0-for-2 from beyond the arc. But he did not turn the ball over and had one assist.

Towson hung in this game thanks to Nakye Sanders, Juwan Gray, Allen Betrand and Jakigh Dottin. Betrand struggled in the first half and was hampered by a foot issue. But he exploded in the second half with 14 points. Sanders had 7 points and six boards and did not foul out (4 fouls). Gray had 7 points and 2 blocks in 22 minutes off the bench. Dottin had 10 points, 4 assists in 17 minutes on 4-of-6 shooting. He had two fouls in the first half, but not sure why he rarely played down the stretch.

I think you need a point guard to drive and kick or drive down 2. We're trying to become a three-point shooting team and our best three-point shooter is in a deep slump. But you know who's not? Gray. Betrand isn't bad. Gibson, though rough tonight, is going to be a good three-point shooter. Time to re-evaluate just going to 23 late in games.

Now in terms of glass half full, we're a pretty good team that needs to learn to finish close games. If we do that, we can be a very good team. We outrebounded Florida. Just think about that coming off an overtime game on Monday, where we got outrebounded against Kent State. They came off a rough loss to Florida State. Are they overrated? Sure, but we played our game. Didn't have a ton of turnovers, kept a slower tempo and defended the paint pretty well. Charles Thompson is very impressive defensively. Consider the fact that he wasn't intimidated going against the best grad transfer big man in the nation in Kerry Blackshear. He had a bad game but we helped that. He had 13 points, 13 rebounds on 4-of-14 shooting.

If we get Timberlake back next week against Xavier, we'll have nine pretty good players. The fact that Dottin made two three's tonight is a good thing for the future.

By the way, why is Teddy Valentine still officiating games after 30+ years.

Some comments from Skerry after the game on the radio:

"We didn't come here for a moral victory. Chance to become a good team. Florida is a good team. Long and athletic. Love our effort defensively. Just didn't knock down some shots late. Allen played a big time game. Nakye didn't foul. He strained for us. We have eight. Eventually will get Nick back.
It's about opportunities and performance. Made some execution errors. Good group to be around. Went zone late. We didn't get a great benefit of the officials down the stretch. Not a shocker. That's the way it goes."
"Last two plays, ran shots for good looks. Didn't make them. We still haven't shot the ball to our ability. We'll get that figured out. He's a guy we can win with (Fobbs). Need to get healthy. Get Nick back. Allen was hurt."

Helluva of an effort & very proud of the guys. Dottin was great in the 1st half & Betrand was great in the 2nd half. You’ve got to hope Fobbs will shoot his way out of his 3-point doldrums. Maybe once that 1st one goes in. The bugaboo in the Skerry era has been the struggle to pull out W’s in close games at the end. Based off the performance in the last 2 games, I would like to think we have the potential to beat any team in the CAA. 

Any idea if Solomon is going to play anytime soon? It would be nice for depth purposes to have him & Timberlake for the tournament next week

Bottom line is that this team is better than last year's. It might not be close. But we have to finish better. Even against Florida. I think we're trying to give Gibson a chance to be the man at the point, even though we're not starting him. Even though he had a rough game tonight shooting, this was a good experience for him. There are things he did on Monday night against Kent State (drives and floaters) that he couldn't do against Florida. They were quicker and more athletic. Bigger and longer. But he has confidence. So does Betrand. I like that these guys didn't come to compete; they came to win.

I'd have to watch that last two minutes to see if we maybe should have set more screens for Fobbs. Right now, he seems like Betrand of last year. Good driver. Mid-range shot is ok. I really like Gray on offense and he can help with his length on D. If we can play more 1-3-1, how about him and Tunstall trapping when they are on the floor together? Neither is very physical and that's where Gray has issues. Defending bigger guys in the post.

Dottin played one of his best all-around games but he gets pulled early in the second half because he didn't get back on transition D. Didn't play much after that. Thought he was better suited for that team because of his strength going to the basket. If he can start to make threes, he can be so much better. Teams will have to guard him. Then the drive comes. But what I really like is that he's passing the ball more and not turning it over. 

Glass half empty? We have to close games better. We have too much talent. Glass half full? We played No. 15 Florida pretty even for 38 minutes, had them tied at the half after they lost to Florida State on Sunday. Our record is not going to look good after the Charleston Classic, but playing this tougher schedule early is going to help down the road. I think.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Helluva of an effort & very proud of the guys. Dottin was great in the 1st half & Betrand was great in the 2nd half. You’ve got to hope Fobbs will shoot his way out of his 3-point doldrums. Maybe once that 1st one goes in. The bugaboo in the Skerry era has been the struggle to pull out W’s in close games at the end. Based off the performance in the last 2 games, I would like to think we have the potential to beat any team in the CAA. 

Any idea if Solomon is going to play anytime soon? It would be nice for depth purposes to have him & Timberlake for the tournament next week

Solomon will probably redshirt. He's not really in the rotation right now and they don't need him. They already have Gray, Sanders, Tunstall and Thompson up front. You don't need five bigs unless there is an injury. They can make a decision later but he's not 100%. He didn't play much in preseason, so who knows how much he's improved since last season.

Team played a hell of a game! Sure we have a closing problem but I think we need to stop running plays for one person and start running to find the open man. But we have a team here boys! A lot to look forward to this season! 

The real season starts on December 28th, but playing (and nearly beating) the likes of Kent State & Florida should really bolster our confidence when that real season starts. 

Good effort. Bertrand really has a good chance to be a solid robin, now just have to get batman's shot going. Gibson struggled vs better athletes, but not sure if dottin is capable of a better offensive performance than he had tonight. Will be fine down low defensively all year if nakye is capable of not fouling like tonight. 

Two games in a row struggled to score down the stretch. Has a skerry set out of a timeout ever worked? Always ends up launching a wild 3.

As mentioned not going to have a great ooc record but playing about 6 teams that would be favored to win CAA this year (kent, fl, xavier, buffalo/uconn?, 3rd charleston game, vermont, liberty). With Timberlake coming back and 9 strong should be favored for caa regular season title. Problem will always be skerry throws in a few home clunkers and end of game execution. 

• Like 1

Obviously, tonight's performance and effort is encouraging.  In theory, if we can hang with the #15 Gators for the majority of a game, we should be able to compete with everyone in the CAA and ideally be in contention come conference tournament time.

However, there is NOTHING in our recent history (last 15-20 years) that suggests we'll rise to the top.  The sample size on Skerry is large enough now to know he's a very mediocre coach who will not be a positive difference maker in close games.

When will Towson ever get its epic victory??  Evansville got theirs earlier this week.  UMBC got theirs this past March.  App State got their back in 2007.  Since becoming a Towson fan as a freshman in 1996, I haven't had the pleasure of a true MAJOR win.  Getting to the FCS Football Championship game was fantastic (and I was in Frisco to cheer them on), but not having that one marquee, put-us-on-the-map win is soooooo incredibly frustrating.  We just don't seem to have it in us.

I think it's time to move on from Skerry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Obviously, tonight's performance and effort is encouraging.  In theory, if we can hang with the #15 Gators for the majority of a game, we should be able to compete with everyone in the CAA and ideally be in contention come conference tournament time.

However, there is NOTHING in our recent history (last 15-20 years) that suggests we'll rise to the top.  The sample size on Skerry is large enough now to know he's a very mediocre coach who will not be a positive difference maker in close games.

When will Towson ever get its epic victory??  Evansville got theirs earlier this week.  UMBC got theirs this past March.  App State got their back in 2007.  Since becoming a Towson fan as a freshman in 1996, I haven't had the pleasure of a true MAJOR win.  Getting to the FCS Football Championship game was fantastic (and I was in Frisco to cheer them on), but not having that one marquee, put-us-on-the-map win is soooooo incredibly frustrating.  We just don't seem to have it in us.

I think it's time to move on from Skerry.

You keep saying that and I keep saying it's not happening for another 6-7 years. I don't understand how you can even ponder that after losing to Florida by 6 as an 18-point underdog. Game is tied with 2:00 left. It's not even worth discussing. Is he above criticism? Of course not. If they finish fifth, as I picked them, well, then that's a major disappointment. No reason why they can't push for top three.

And I feel for you. You just missed the West Virginia and Louisville upsets the year before. Oregon State on the road is about the only P5/6 road win.

Unless there’s a booster out there with very deep pockets, Skerry ain’t getting bought out & in fact will be here for many years to come, by virtue of that screwy contract extension 2 years ago. 

It is maddening that we never seem to score a basket at the end of a half, after a timeout. Also maddening that we get achingly close to that signature W (MD a few years ago; Florida tonight) but can’t buy a basket in the last minute of these games