• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB Falls to Florida, 66-60

I never thought I’d say this, but I’d like to know why Dottin didn’t play more than 17 minutes last night? 4-6 from the floor, including 2-3 from 3, 2 boards and 4 assists. 

17 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I never thought I’d say this, but I’d like to know why Dottin didn’t play more than 17 minutes last night? 4-6 from the floor, including 2-3 from 3, 2 boards and 4 assists. 

Well rumor has it he didn't get back on defense at some point during the game and was pulled. Hope this doesn't lead to him leaving the team or anything..

• Haha 1

That was a fun watch yesterday.  Last time I saw that kind of effort against a power school was the Oregon State game on the road.  

Look..  we are Towson...  always something seems to come..  no Howard this season.  That being said I thought our defense looked so much better from past 2 seasons.  I love seeing Neal on the bench and rubbing off some of his Spurs experience.  

Crazy that Gibson is Crowley’s nephew...  Dan was a freshman same time as me and a winner.  

Charles Thompson is gonna be a good one. 

End of first half getting 3 stops and then no points on the offensive end really hurt us.  30-30 instead of maybe 34-30. 

And then the last minutes of game..  just didn’t run the right plays for Fobbs to get closer to the basket. 

We are way past moral victories as it is 2019 and we’ve been waiting since 1991.  

I’ve always loved Pat on the sidelines and the energy he brings.  This is a solid 2019-20 team that better win 18 games or else. 

Again I enjoy all the comments.  We are such a small group of fans that actually cares about Towson Basketball.  

I liked what I saw yesterday so I expect us to make a deep run in the CAA or else this season...  

Go Tigers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

That was a fun watch yesterday.  Last time I saw that kind of effort against a power school was the Oregon State game on the road.  

Look..  we are Towson...  always something seems to come..  no Howard this season.  That being said I thought our defense looked so much better from past 2 seasons.  I love seeing Neal on the bench and rubbing off some of his Spurs experience.  

Crazy that Gibson is Crowley’s nephew...  Dan was a freshman same time as me and a winner.  

Charles Thompson is gonna be a good one. 

End of first half getting 3 stops and then no points on the offensive end really hurt us.  30-30 instead of maybe 34-30. 

And then the last minutes of game..  just didn’t run the right plays for Fobbs to get closer to the basket. 

We are way past moral victories as it is 2019 and we’ve been waiting since 1991.  

I’ve always loved Pat on the sidelines and the energy he brings.  This is a solid 2019-20 team that better win 18 games or else. 

Again I enjoy all the comments.  We are such a small group of fans that actually cares about Towson Basketball.  

I liked what I saw yesterday so I expect us to make a deep run in the CAA or else this season...  

Go Tigers!

Is Jason really? Ugh. 

Some may be past moral victories, but more are not, including the AD, department and others.

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Mike was also out of bounds on that play (SHHHHH) 

But I went back to 12/13 season and looked at the records of the team in 6 point or less games and OT ones. I was surprised with the results: 

13/14- 12-6

14/15- 9-2

15/16- 6-8

16/17 9-8

17/18 7-10

18/19 4-11

19/20 0-2

53-60 overall

I thought we would have been worse overall. Yes, a lot of the wins came with Bennimon and Company, but was expected it to be like 25%

What? I thought he never won a close game? I guess those 53 wins were insignificant.

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Mike was also out of bounds on that play (SHHHHH) 

But I went back to 12/13 season and looked at the records of the team in 6 point or less games and OT ones. I was surprised with the results: 

13/14- 12-6

14/15- 9-2

15/16- 6-8

16/17 9-8

17/18 7-10

18/19 4-11

19/20 0-2

53-60 overall

I thought we would have been worse overall. Yes, a lot of the wins came with Bennimon and Company, but was expected it to be like 25%

so in the world of what have you done for me lately......11-23 over the past three years

I really think it's about the players. Not saying it has nothing to do with x's and o's but it's not 100%. Basketball is about recruiting. Even Bill Coen needs a Pusica to win a title. He also gets long bigs to help his defense and rebounding. His teams are well-coached but it helps to have a really good point guard run the show. In this league, it's all about GUARDS. 

But Skerry has had rough recruiting years and it showed. Jeff Prophete? Disaster. J.J. Mathews? Didn't work out. Zane leaves. Gorham leaves. McNeill? Thomas? The last two years? Timberlake, Betrand, Dottin, Gibson, Solomon and Thompson. Also add Gray, Mims, Sanders and Victor as transfers. (Obviously, too soon to tell on Nick and Solomon due to injuries, but they have some talent). You can see the improvements Betrand made from Year 1 to Year 2 and Dottin, who is taking care of the ball and dishing out more dimes. Gibson couldn't finish last night but was getting in the lane against Florida and not just settling for long jumpers. Now, he has to drive and kick out. Remember, the kid also missed nearly two weeks of practice after banging heads with Betrand in practice. 

Most on here know PS is not perfect. Who is? Coen is not available. A lot of people on here love Tony Shaver. I like his offense. Won a lot of games. Didn't win the big one. Now gone. We're actually beginning to play more like W&M than early Towson. More ball movement, bigs that can shoot (Gray), decent shooting point guard. Ok, not there yet, but it seems as though we're finally adapting to today's game and not playing like Pitt when Jamie Dixon was there.

12 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

so in the world of what have you done for me lately......11-23 over the past three years

Right, relying on Zane Martin at the end of the games didn't work out in 2017-18 and maybe we're doing the same with Fobbs now at least early part of the season. I think we have enough talent that we don't have to rely on just one player.

Talent-wise, we're so much better than the last two seasons. We couldn't hang with Florida on the road. No shot in the previous two seasons. 

15 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

What? I thought he never won a close game? I guess those 53 wins were insignificant.

Never said we don't, just that we lose/choke away more than we win. And again, I said that after going through the games, I was very surprised we won so many of those.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I really think it's about the players. Not saying it has nothing to do with x's and o's but it's not 100%. Basketball is about recruiting. Even Bill Coen needs a Pusica to win a title. He also gets long bigs to help his defense and rebounding. His teams are well-coached but it helps to have a really good point guard run the show. In this league, it's all about GUARDS. 

But Skerry has had rough recruiting years and it showed. Jeff Prophete? Disaster. J.J. Mathews? Didn't work out. Zane leaves. Gorham leaves. McNeill? Thomas? The last two years? Timberlake, Betrand, Dottin, Gibson, Solomon and Thompson. Also add Gray, Mims, Sanders and Victor as transfers. (Obviously, too soon to tell on Nick and Solomon due to injuries, but they have some talent). You can see the improvements Betrand made from Year 1 to Year 2 and Dottin, who is taking care of the ball and dishing out more dimes. Gibson couldn't finish last night but was getting in the lane against Florida and not just settling for long jumpers. Now, he has to drive and kick out. Remember, the kid also missed nearly two weeks of practice after banging heads with Betrand in practice. 

Most on here know PS is not perfect. Who is? Coen is not available. A lot of people on here love Tony Shaver. I like his offense. Won a lot of games. Didn't win the big one. Now gone. We're actually beginning to play more like W&M than early Towson. More ball movement, bigs that can shoot (Gray), decent shooting point guard. Ok, not there yet, but it seems as though we're finally adapting to today's game and not playing like Pitt when Jamie Dixon was there.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you. But good, or adequate coaching is needed. And recruiting at this level? EH, it's about finding the diamonds in the rough and developing them. Something we have not been able to do to well, and gone the JUCO route a lot. THANK GOD! IVE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS THE CAA IS ABOUT GUARDS. Not bludgeoning people to death on the boards. Since JJ Barea wont the POTY in 05-06 every POTY was a guard besides Benimon and Ryan Pearson.

Trust me, I want to be in the NCAA Tournament (even if it's freakin Dayton on Tuesday or Wednesday) in the worst way and have wanted that since there was a 'State' in our name.  And given that we made the 1-AA championship game in 2013, we should have been able to parlay that into consistent playoff appearances over the next few years.  We haven't been able to do that in either of our two major sports.  Various combinations of unlucky recruiting, choked-away games, bad preparation, execution, all-world game by the opponents, and injuries are all to blame.  Can that be put on the coaching, most definitely.  In football, we've jettisoned a couple of DC's and let little brother go to the Chickens.  In basketball, I think we need to do a better job of identifying players who can work in the flow of TODAY'S game.  Guys like Gibson and Thompson give us that kind of potential and are types of recruits we need to focus on.  With the greater emphasis on the 3, I'm hoping that Pat is realizing that his brand of ball isn't going to cut it in today's college basketball.  Defense and rebounding still carries the day but if you can only crack 60-65 points, you're not going to have the firepower when the opponent has a good shooting night.  Should we be dishing out extensions without the amount of success that would warrant those extensions?  Probably not but there is something about stability in recruiting and if you pay attention to the offseason, the transfer portal was overloaded with players whose coaches went on to different jobs.  The way the transfer rule works now, if Skerry got bounced, you can bet half our roster would be looking elsewhere.  Was a monster extension deserved at that time?  I'd say no, especially since no one was really beating down the door to steal Pat from us.  But that's not Pat's fault, that's on those who give the extension (and he must have a hell of an agent too).  

And I don't want to get into any wars on here because it's pointless given our numbers here.  I just don't like that after every loss it seems, the default is to blame the bench.  I was critical of Skerry in my summary last nite that he should have had Dottin out there more in the final 8 minutes instead of Gibson.  But I still have confidence that these guys will find more ways to win and hopefully, those wins come when the games mean the most.