• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB Falls to Florida, 66-60

11 hours ago, Royal Tiger said:

Good effort. Bertrand really has a good chance to be a solid robin, now just have to get batman's shot going. Gibson struggled vs better athletes, but not sure if dottin is capable of a better offensive performance than he had tonight. Will be fine down low defensively all year if nakye is capable of not fouling like tonight. 

Two games in a row struggled to score down the stretch. Has a skerry set out of a timeout ever worked? Always ends up launching a wild 3.

As mentioned not going to have a great ooc record but playing about 6 teams that would be favored to win CAA this year (kent, fl, xavier, buffalo/uconn?, 3rd charleston game, vermont, liberty). With Timberlake coming back and 9 strong should be favored for caa regular season title. Problem will always be skerry throws in a few home clunkers and end of game execution. 

Exactly.  And they've rarely worked.  The only one I can think of, is Mike in Ireland and that looked fairly helter skelter, not sure a fade away baseline jumper from 15 was what they were looking for.  

The problem is typically 3 fold:  1. He is not a good X and O coach, so calling a time out hurt.     2. We typically do not have great shooters/offensive players, and slowing the game down hurts. Rather then running a regular play or finding something in transition (where we actually can score).    3. It sets the defense and allows for them to sub.  If other teams have their more offensively minded (shooters) in, I would rather us go against them then bigger stronger bodies.

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I think you are on to something. They did move the three-point line to the International distance of 22 feet and change. Wouldn't affect guys like Gibson, Gray seems ok with is. Even Tunstall is a better 3-point shooter. Howard wasn't impacted by it in practice when he was on the team. But yeah, Brian, despite his strength, might be....or he's just in a slump.

I really think it does have something to do with it.  I don't remember alot of his 3's being short, they seem to be long, so maybe his over compensating?  For a program that historically doesn't shoot or make a ton of 3's I would think the line movement helps us. Even just another foot or so inside the arc can help us grab more defensive rebounds.  I'd like to see more pick and pop with both tunstall and gray.  Set a screen for dottin and gibson and peel off for a 3 or mid range. They both can shoot!

10 hours ago, tualum said:

. I'm not sold on Gibson yet even though it's my first time seeing him play live. Dottin made some good shots and had his moments..

That's your problem.  For an 18 year old freshman, he is going to be good.  He won't average 25-6-6 but he will be a very solid and heady player for us

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

The players did a great job...playing hard and playing well. 

The reason we lost is the same reason we have not won a close game of note in nine years. When you are tied or down a couple with a minute to go and you are coming out of a timeout any coach worth his salt can come up with something better than Brian Fobbs (or any player) dribbling around for 7-8 seconds and then heaving a 30 footer in a one on one move. And since that worked so poorly the first time we did it again. Those hours spent in practice seemingly can be put to better use. 

How can a coach, with a bench full of suited assistant coaches, not have a play in their back pocket to pull out when needed. The players did what they were told. They did their job. Why do you not, when down 4 with less than a minute to go try and get it in the lane to get a basket, forcing the other tam to make a play or free throws. 

The players are good. The coaching is atrocious. 

Let see if we can lobby to get him an extension so we can watch the same horrific coaching for an even dozen years. 

Were you in the huddle during the timeout with :55 left?  Did ESPN2 have Pat miked up during that timeout?

The players did a great job...playing hard and playing well. 

The reason we lost is the same reason we have not won a close game of note in nine years. When you are tied or down a couple with a minute to go and you are coming out of a timeout any coach worth his salt can come up with something better than Brian Fobbs (or any player) dribbling around for 7-8 seconds and then heaving a 30 footer in a one on one move. And since that worked so poorly the first time we did it again. Those hours spent in practice seemingly can be put to better use. 

How can a coach, with a bench full of suited assistant coaches, not have a play in their back pocket to pull out when needed. The players did what they were told. They did their job. Why do you not, when down 4 with less than a minute to go try and get it in the lane to get a basket, forcing the other tam to make a play or free throws. 

The players are good. The coaching is atrocious. 

Let see if we can lobby to get him an extension so we can watch the same horrific coaching for an even dozen years. 

Damn double posts.  So I’ll go ahead and answer my own 2 questions - no, you weren’t and no, they didn’t.  So how’d you know what he told them?  Ya think just maybe that whatever was set up may have broken down because <gasp> the other team may have defended it pretty well?  Would you rather something be forced and we turned it over?  I’m sure had that happened, you’d have been all over that too as the coach’s fault. 

Edited by Chris Datres
Clarity

32 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

That's your problem.  For an 18 year old freshman, he is going to be good.  He won't average 25-6-6 but he will be a very solid and heady player for us

Uh huh, we'll see... lol

Edited by tualum

22 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Damn double posts.  So I’ll go ahead and answer my own 2 questions - no, you weren’t and no, they didn’t.  So how’d you know what he told them?  Ya think just maybe that whatever was set up may have broken down because <gasp> the other team may have defended it pretty well?  Would you rather something be forced and we turned it over?  I’m sure had that happened, you’d have been all over that too as the coach’s fault. 

You are correct that I was not in the huddle. History is my teacher. In nine years there has not been one moment that Towson has won a significant close game. The only one that even comes close is the W & M game that Mike Morsell made a shot late. You would hope for more than that in nine years. 

Giving the devil his due, Skerry has brought a tough style of basketball to Towson. He has raised the program from the rankings in the 330's, but good coaches......coaches that get extensions....win the close games through their coaching. He just in nine years has not won a significant game. You are right about being all over the coah. It is because in nine years, with extensions for many more, he in reality, has won nothing! Nice guy, but being a nice guy should not get you extensions, any more than beating Rio Grande should.

6 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Chris (I'm not attempting to pick a fight and piss you or anyone else off), we get it, you like Rob and Pat and think they should be here for as long as they want to be, going off of 1 good, 3 mediocre and then 1 to 2 bad seasons. That's fine and your opinion, and one that is shared by others on here.  The other group feels that after years and years, it comes time when they really need to win something meaningful, especially when unwarranted long term extensions are being handed out freely. Anyone can disagree and argue with me about the extension given to Pat when they started 10-1, but they would be wrong. There was absolutely no need for it at that time. Plain and simple. 

The comment you made before about people who bash the coaches and programs are the ones who do not know anything about them, is comical. Some on here, attend all home games, watch the team on the road, former members of the program and former players.  Your point about the two sides is valid. No one here is that dumb to think whatever play is called will result in a wide open easy shot, with the defense lying down.  But we have seen it over and over and over and over again. Late game situations out of time outs, almost always result in a bad shot or turnover. We all know Pat, some more than others, and the kind of guy he is. Hard nose, his way or the highway kind of coach, who typically pulls players after a mistake.  With that being said I feel, and can see that, players late in games, don't deviate off of what was told to them in the TO. It could be that they are scared to go off script or that they just don't know what to do. That is on the coaches. Should the players be "audibling" if they see something isn't working? Maybe?  Does Pat and Co notice something isn't working based off the defense and make adjustments on the fly? Typically No. And that is an issue when we hold the ball for the first 18-20 seconds before beginning to run anything (and no I'm not talking about a tie game with 30 seconds left, holding for the last shot)  Should there be a second play called in the TO just in case? Probably. And he does not, that I know from personal experience. We score a majority of our points off of missed shots (not in early transition but in a later version of it), off of offensive rebounds, and 1 play/offense, Horns Up.

It is great that we aren't a laughing stock, suffering through 5-28 seasons and on APR violations like under Kennedy and prior regimes. Trust me, I lived through that first hand and it f'ing sucked.  We have gotten to the point of respectability and have also plateaued under Skerry. Again you can argue this all you want, but its correct.  I, along with everyone else here, know and understand it is not financial feasible to fire him in the upcoming years, but we are upset as to why we can't due to an absurd and unwarranted contract extension.  And that is on Tim Leonard. I know Pat personally, and he is a great guy and father and has done a lot for the school and community.  Turned around a crappy program? Check.  Graduate players? Check.  Do good in the community/university? Check. I, along with everyone on here, whether they want him here forever or gone tomorrow, or somewhere in between, am grateful for that.  But it is time to win games in the CAA tournament, make a championship game appearance, and win the CAA's.

Back onto the positives. We almost beat the #15 team last night on the road, with some players have bad performances. That's pretty impressive. What is more impressive, is that we barely ran our offense (offensive rebounding) and still had a 1 possession game under 1 minute left.

2 hours ago, tualum said:

Uh huh, we'll see... lol

I'm not a rah rah rah Skerry and hoops person on here like most.  I've bought into the hype on players before and not on others, but Pat rarely plays freshmen to start the season. And when he does its for little spurts here and there, TJ, JD, Mike, Zane, Gorham, etc.  He is putting Gibson and Charles out there, which is good.

You are correct that I was not in the huddle. History is my teacher. In nine years there has not been one moment that Towson has won a significant close game. The only one that even comes close is the W & M game that Mike Morsell made a shot late. You would hope for more than that in nine years. 

Giving the devil his due, Skerry has brought a tough style of basketball to Towson. He has raised the program from the rankings in the 330's, but good coaches......coaches that get extensions....win the close games through their coaching. He just in nine years has not won a significant game. You are right about being all over the coah. It is because in nine years, with extensions for many more, he in reality, has won nothing! Nice guy, but being a nice guy should not get you extensions, any more than beating Rio Grande should.

Mike was also out of bounds on that play (SHHHHH) 

But I went back to 12/13 season and looked at the records of the team in 6 point or less games and OT ones. I was surprised with the results: 

13/14- 12-6

14/15- 9-2

15/16- 6-8

16/17 9-8

17/18 7-10

18/19 4-11

19/20 0-2

53-60 overall

I thought we would have been worse overall. Yes, a lot of the wins came with Bennimon and Company, but was expected it to be like 25%