• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football wins third straight, downs W&M 31-10

Most complete game of the season?  Defense was outstanding throughout.  That's the kind of game we've been needing to see.  These guys have been playing pretty well since halftime of JMU and hopefully, we're peaking at the right time.  Take care of Elon next week and hope we don't get screwed by the committee.

• Like 2

Let's talk about the defense. Go back to the Albany game, a 38-21 loss. Gave up 380 yards in the air and 511 overall. Since then, something has changed. You even saw an improvement against James Madison. Part of it is improved secondary play, though they only made the cornerback change with true freshman Jeremiah Wynn two games again. We came into this game allowing 147.7 yards per game, which is a big improvement and allowed just 87 rushing yards. You have to say Daniels has done a better job with the run defense. Obviously, the pass defense still needs work. They weren't tested today though.

Flacco was Flacco in cold weather. Didn't finish great with Stover fumbling off a sack and Platt fumbling before that. But we did what we needed to on offense. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Most complete game of the season?  Defense was outstanding throughout.  That's the kind of game we've been needing to see.  These guys have been playing pretty well since halftime of JMU and hopefully, we're peaking at the right time.  Take care of Elon next week and hope we don't get screwed by the committee.

You never know with the committee. UNH will probably make it if they beat Maine next week at home. I know, they'll be 6-5 but they would be 5-3 in the CAA. They'll probably get in over us despite a horrific loss to Holy Cross, if it comes down to two teams. Albany is at Stony Brook. Not easy. Nova is in, win or lose against Delaware next week. 

Most complete game? I thought last week's game was pretty good. We knew what to expect with W&M. Stop the run or slow it down. Holding them under 100 yards is impressive. You look at that defense. Not really a lot of All-CAA players. Heyward is a certainty. Maybe Tippett because of his five picks, though he must have bit on that first big gadget play. Paye might get a nod as well.

Offense? Other than Flacco, not sure who is really having a big year. Tom will throw for just 19 TDs but has just four picks. Last year, he had 12. Leatherbury has 10 TD receptions. O-line having a decent year. I'm sure, people will say we're only winning because the CAA is down, but so are we. 

Finally, we've played our best games on the road: Maine, Stony Brook, W&M. Even JMU wasn't awful. Worst games at home: Albany, Nova, even Delaware win was sloppy and we were lucky that didn't go OT. Need to finally play well at home against a conference team (not counting Bucknell and NC Central).

Good win. Defense showed up against a team that can’t pass and shut them down.  The team plays better on the road then at home.  

One more win and they get into the playoffs 

3 straight W’s in elimination games, including 2 on the road. Very workmanlike today. Efficient passing & Theedee showed he can be more than just a goal line back. 

Props to the D for shutting down a good running team. D has definitely stepped up since the Albany debacle.

I was at the game today. For those who gripe about our student attendance, W&M’s student attendance was next to non-existent. In fact, I don’t think there were more than 2-3K in the whole stadium today, even though the announced attendance was around 6,700. Of course, it was very cold 🥶 here & the game was meaningless to W&M, other than being senior day

It’s simple-win next Saturday & we’re in the playoffs. Ain’t no way we’re not getting in at 8-4

JMU & Nova are locks. After that, it’s murky. Albany is 7-4, but finishes on the road vs Stony Brook. If they lose, are they in at 7-5?  Maine has to beat UNH to get to 7-5. If they do, are they in? Even if UNH wins, they’re only 6-5, with wins against some weaklings, albeit Nova. Then there is us, at either 8-4 (a lock) or 7-5.

If Albany loses, we lose, & Maine wins, all 3 would be 7-5. I can’t imagine in that scenario only 2 CAA teams (JMU & Nova) getting in the playoffs. 

Bottom line-lets just win next Saturday.

I sense the Elon game will be tougher. Davis Cheek is a solid drop-back quarterback and if we give him time, he can put up big numbers. Though is biggest game was 259 yards against Delaware. His worst game was throwing four picks at UNH. But only has six on the season.  The Phoenix average just 119 yards per game on the ground, so it's not just about stopping the run. They allow 168 rushing yards per game, so it's about feeding Yeedee again for about 20 carries. Balanced offense. Early forecast is cloudy and 48 degrees.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

JMU & Nova are locks. After that, it’s murky. Albany is 7-4, but finishes on the road vs Stony Brook. If they lose, are they in at 7-5?  Maine has to beat UNH to get to 7-5. If they do, are they in? Even if UNH wins, they’re only 6-5, with wins against some weaklings, albeit Nova. Then there is us, at either 8-4 (a lock) or 7-5.

If Albany loses, we lose, & Maine wins, all 3 would be 7-5. I can’t imagine in that scenario only 2 CAA teams (JMU & Nova) getting in the playoffs. 

Bottom line-lets just win next Saturday.

I think all those teams need to win. No team deserves to be in the playoffs with a .500 conference record.