• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

No. 21 Xavier obliterates Towson, 73-51

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/11/21/mens-basketball-fobbs-leads-towson-in-setback-to-no-18-xavier.aspx

Unlike Towson's six-point loss at Florida, this was a mismatch from the start. Towson struggled defensively in the early going and then bad shots and turnovers were their undoing. Brian Fobbs led the Tigers with 14 points, but was 0-for-4 from beyond the arc. He's now 0-19 on the season from three-point range. Allen Betrand added 12 points and five boards.

Battle of the boards? Towson was outrebounded 45-32. Limit the turnovers? Towson had just 10. Make shots? The Tigers made 30.5% from the field and just 4-of-16 from beyond the arc (25%). They also had just six assists.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=286713

Towson will play the loser of the Buffalo/UConn game at 7pm on Friday on ESPNU. So yes, I'll be chatting again tomorrow.

Skerry's comments on TSN:

Xavier is really good. They shot it pretty good, but that hasn't happened. We wanted to force them to take shots. Thought we played hard. Disappointing in execution and shot selection. Didn't rebound well enough. Thought Nakye was good. Played nine guys. Every guy had 1 or 2 correctable errors. Shot selection, ball reversal. Some of that was Xavier. The kid Moore kept us at bay.

On getting to the foul line

Our points per possession was pretty good. Our thought our defense was awful in the last three minutes. We did a pretty good job of not fouling. To beat a team of that caliber, it's not just playing hard. You have to make foul shots. YOu have to make threes. Gibson and Fobbs are good shooters. Guys that live in the gym are not making shots right now. Evetually they'll fall. A bit disappointed. Our guys were excited. I think we're a little bit better than we showed. Credit to Xavier, They are very good.

On Timberlake

Nick is going to be a good player. First game in about a year. Tough team to play. Has to push through and get his game legs back. We're going to play another very good team on Friday. We need mental toughness. We have to bounce back. I scheduled these games because I believed in this group. I still do. We have to bounce back against a team that made the tournament last year (Buffalo) or a team that is one of the better programs (UCOnn).

Why is every skerry coached team out of control (taking wild and awful shots), out of position, and just plain awkward? The falling down, slipping, rushing shots, stepping out of bounds on long pivots, awkward fade aways, and driving  in to deep and getting blocked with ease is infuriating.  This team like every other of pats teams is selfish as all can be. You can get away with that with a riller, Roland, Knight, foreman, type of player but not with 8 role players. 

They tried on defense and gave effort. Xavier was more physical the entire game. They also shot lights out which they haven’t done all year but was expected as they were due.  

But it’s college hoops and our coach can’t run a good offense and can’t teach zone defense... 

There's not much you can say about this game. We couldn't make shots from the perimeter and we missed at least five layups right at the basket. Thompson and Gibson struggled against versus top-25 competition. But if you are going to bury this team tonight, go ahead. It's way too early and this is going to help them down the line. If you wanted Skerry to schedule good teams, he did. We're losing, either being competitive (Florida) or getting our asses kicked (Xavier). But I think those youngsters will get better. What I don't like is six assists, going 1-on-5 and terrible shot selection from everybody. If you don't make the extra pass against a team like this, you don't deserve to win.

Fobbs has to carry the load too much and it shows. Somebody else has to step up at some point. Maybe next week, that players is Betrand or Timberlake, who obviously is not ready yet. The kid hasn't played in a year and hadn't practiced in a few weeks. Even though he didn't finish, I like the fact that he at least took it to the basket.

Mat I and others understand that. I’m not giving up on the players. Any team that can defend has a punchers chance. But like you said 1 on 5. It’s been this way since he took over.  It’s a culture problem. Stop recruiting  selfish and undisciplined players while running shit on offense. It’s so predictable that even bad and lazy coaches know what’s coming  

Why is it that every other team can recruit atleast one player who can get his own (and a halfway decent shot), except us? Fobbs is pressing both inside and outside the arc. 

Even if we had a team full of lebron James’ why are we waiting until 12 or less on the clock to have a big come out and catch a pass, with their back to the hoop, 4 feet beyond the 3 point line, from dottin?!?  That worked with Benimon but not now. WE CANT GET INTO OFFENSE THAT LATE  especially with our players 

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Mat I and others understand that. I’m not giving up on the players. Any team that can defend has a punchers chance. But like you said 1 on 5. It’s been this way since he took over.  It’s a culture problem. Stop recruiting  selfish and undisciplined players while running shit on offense. It’s so predictable that even bad and lazy coaches know what’s coming  

Why is it that every other team can recruit atleast one player who can get his own (and a halfway decent shot), except us? Fobbs is pressing both inside and outside the arc. 

Even if we had a team full of lebron James’ why are we waiting until 12 or less on the clock to have a big come out and catch a pass, with their back to the hoop, 4 feet beyond the 3 point line, from dottin?!?  That worked with Benimon but not now. WE CANT GET INTO OFFENSE THAT LATE  especially with our players 

We did ok on offense in the first two games. It's obvious that we're not good enough on offense against elite teams. I'm not defending the scheme. I'm defending the potential of the players. And sometimes you need selfish if they are talented. Fobbs is talented but he's not a superstar. He's just 6-4 and still can't go right. Nobody works harder. It's not like he's just a natural talent that didn't work hard to get on the preseason All-CAA team. But if Gray is on the floor, he needs shots. Sanders is Sanders. He's going to flash some good play but will never be consistent because he's always in foul trouble and lacks the athleticism to be a really good big.

19 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

We did ok on offense in the first two games. It's obvious that we're not good enough on offense against elite teams. I'm not defending the scheme. I'm defending the potential of the players. And sometimes you need selfish if they are talented. Fobbs is talented but he's not a superstar. He's just 6-4 and still can't go right. Nobody works harder. It's not like he's just a natural talent that didn't work hard to get on the preseason All-CAA team. But if Gray is on the floor, he needs shots. Sanders is Sanders. He's going to flash some good play but will never be consistent because he's always in foul trouble and lacks the athleticism to be a really good big.

Come-on! We played a terrible team and then the smallest d3 school in the nation.  

Hopefully health returns and rotation gets set  but a tunstill and dottin (like both but in spurts. They are role players) In the starting 5 with a raw freshman isn’t conducive for fobbs and betrand. they are the only two threats out there and teams can gun for them 

Couldn’t believe we were hanging around (within 10-15), despite playing terribly. 3 made bunnies and 4-5 free throws and we’re within 6 or so. Encouraging to play that bad and still kinda be in it. Years ago, we would’ve lost by 30. And did anyone see Dennis. He played 25 minutes.

17 minutes ago, FLXballer said:

Couldn’t believe we were hanging around (within 10-15), despite playing terribly. 3 made bunnies and 4-5 free throws and we’re within 6 or so. Encouraging to play that bad and still kinda be in it. Years ago, we would’ve lost by 30. And did anyone see Dennis. He played 25 minutes.

Hmm. Florida Ex-baller? Dennis played 25 minutes. Quiet night for him but nobody is worried since he usually brings it every game. Just 2 pts, 2 rebs.