• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
AtlantaTiger

Pat Skerry & Tim Leonard

Excuse me if I'm asking questions that have already been addressed extensively on this forum but....

1. Do we think Skerry's players respect him?  Do they have confidence in him?  Has he "lost" his team?  After 9 seasons of sub .500 basketball and 0 NCAA Tourneys I don't think it's unfair to question his coaching & recruiting abilities.

2. What is the relationship like between Pat & Tim Leonard?  Are they best buddies or do they hardly speak?

3. What is Tim Leonard's job status/security?  I don't get the impression the guy is DRIVEN to field championship caliber teams at Towson.  He seems to have a disturbingly high tolerance for mediocrity from his coaches.  Is he an absentee leader himself?

I desperately want GREATNESS for Towson sports teams and I just don't get the impression the leadership at Towson wants that for themselves.

GO TIGERS!!!

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Excuse me if I'm asking questions that have already been addressed extensively on this forum but....

1. Do we think Skerry's players respect him?  Do they have confidence in him?  Has he "lost" his team?  After 9 seasons of sub .500 basketball and 0 NCAA Tourneys I don't think it's unfair to question his coaching & recruiting abilities.

2. What is the relationship like between Pat & Tim Leonard?  Are they best buddies or do they hardly speak?

3. What is Tim Leonard's job status/security?  I don't get the impression the guy is DRIVEN to field championship caliber teams at Towson.  He seems to have a disturbingly high tolerance for mediocrity from his coaches.  Is he an absentee leader himself?

I desperately want GREATNESS for Towson sports teams and I just don't get the impression the leadership at Towson wants that for themselves.

GO TIGERS!!!

The arguments presented in this post do not make any sense. Historically speaking, this is the golden era of athletic performance for our teams at Towson. A possible 4th playoff berth in the FCS for football (3rd under TL), WBBall makes tournament, MLax goes to the national championship and competes year over year, MBBall is the best it has been since the late 80s (Skerry is at worst the 3rd best coach in program history and arguably the best relative to competition), WVball goes 16-0 in the CAA (first team to ever do that), and field hockey has an actual field to play on. 

Edited by towson2006

MBB being the best it’s been since the late 80’s simply isn’t good enough. All that really means is we were incredibly awful most of those years & now we’re mediocre. Whoopee!!! 

Now, if the barometer is making the dance, or at least the NIT, winning the regular season conference title, winning the conference tournament, or even winning more than 1 game in the conference tournament, then talk to me about how “successful” MBB is

So now the metric is not our athletics program broadly but just focused on MBB and some pretty lofty expectations given where PS picked this program up from. Im all for the critique of PS last night that would be fair, but how aware are you of just how difficult it was for us to hire ANYONE when we landed on him? Sure we can fire him and then pay $.5 million for the next two years while we pay someone else the same to do what exactly during that time? What is the expectation here at a school that has gone to the dance twice ever, given recruiting challenges, financial support challenges, and actually needing kids to do well in class (something that is actually happening now and is probably the final reason Tobias Howard is no longer with the team and something prior coaches who were less successful just ignored). I mean they generally do well enough to win 18-23 games a year...could they do better in the CAA tournament? Sure, but we aren’t that far from that ceiling.

5 minutes ago, towson2006 said:

So now the metric is not our athletics program broadly but just focused on MBB and some pretty lofty expectations given where PS picked this program up from. Im all for the critique of PS last night that would be fair, but how aware are you of just how difficult it was for us to hire ANYONE when we landed on him? Sure we can fire him and then pay $.5 million for the next two years while we pay someone else the same to do what exactly during that time? What is the expectation here at a school that has gone to the dance twice ever, given recruiting challenges, financial support challenges, and actually needing kids to do well in class (something that is actually happening now and is probably the final reason Tobias Howard is no longer with the team and something prior coaches who were less successful just ignored). I mean they generally do well enough to win 18-23 games a year...could they do better in the CAA tournament? Sure, but we aren’t that far from that ceiling.

The standards are higher when you pay a coach 450,000. We can not make the dance with someone making 35,000

Edited by Tgr4life

What is the statute of limitations on the “look where we were when we hired Skerry” argument?????????? He’s in his NINTH year. Enough with argument!!! 

And why can’t we have kids graduate AND success on the court? Are the two mutually exclusive? I think not.

No regular season conference titles, no conference tournament titles, never won more than 1 game in the conference tournament, no NIT tournament, no dance appearances, no signature W, no ability to win close games vs good competition 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...he’s taken us as far as he can. However, it’s pointless to call for his termination because he has 6 or more years left on his contract. So, those of us who believe we’d be better served by a parting of the ways will have to hope for the best, though I expect far less

It took Vince Angotti 6 years after a new stadium to start winning...plus it’s the extension that is a massive deterrent in the fire PS argument. What sort of improvement are we gonna see above and beyond where we are at that will justify paying him not to work and hiring someone else? How does that get past the board of regents who didn’t even want to fire DJ Durkin?