• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
AtlantaTiger

Pat Skerry & Tim Leonard

My problem with Tim Leonard is the following:

1, No increase in football and basketball attendance since he's been at Towson and enrollment has increased. In fact, student football attendance has really declined the last 3-4 years.

2. We pay $450k to $500k for Pat Skerry and we get a middle of the pack CAA team with no post season appearances. At some point, we need to aim better. My hope is when is contract is up we do not renew it. East Coast/ Balto/DC is known for B-Ball not football. Should we spend more money to get better?

1. The attendance argument has been an issue since the inception of sport at Towson. The only time we ever sold out for a football game in Unitas was when Waddell got the ok from an Interim President to have the SGA pay the NCAA for student seats in 2011. Never before or since have we come close. The only time b-ball has come close to sold out is when we put in hardwood at the Towson center and we got Michigan to come play ... in 1997. Otherwise it’s Robin Thicke and Avril Lavigne that get people in our arenas

2. We will never become a basketball power. Our best hope is to catch lightning in a bottle for a couple years, and PS presents just as good a chance as most anyone we’d hire to complete that task.

Edited by towson2006

7 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

My problem with Tim Leonard is the following:

1, No increase in football and basketball attendance since he's been at Towson and enrollment has increased. In fact, student football attendance has really declined the last 3-4 years.

2. We pay $450k to $500k for Pat Skerry and we get a middle of the pack CAA team with no post season appearances. At some point, we need to aim better. My hope is when is contract is up we do not renew it. East Coast/ Balto/DC is known for B-Ball not football. Should we spend more money to get better?

1 he’s a pawn and Doesn’t do anything!

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Be a loser with Tim pat and Rob. All are losers soft and can’t win. Stats say so. Clean house.  Either drop down to d2/3 or can these clowns and run a real program.  

Ok so who in our history would not qualify as losers, soft, and can’t win? Who do you hire that changes that image and stays? 

I love the people who try to argue that since Towson basketball was a complete dumpster fire before Skerry arrived that his mediocre results should be celebrated.  What good are 18-20 wins a season if you don't go to the NCAA Tourney?  As a one bid conference, the only thing that matters is winning the conference tourney.  Having 20 win regular seasons in the CAA means NOTHING.....except maybe a trip to the "prestigious" CIT.

Also, this defeatist attitude of "who could we hire to do better than Skerry", is comical.  Fear or uncertainty about who or what the next coach might be is NOT a reason to NOT make a change.  You know what would be nice?  A new guy comes in and actually improves the program, gets to the Big Dance a time or two.  Maybe that coach gets plucked away from Towson...….but because he's elevated the Towson program, he will have made it a more desirable gig for another successful coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

As a one bid conference, the only thing that matters is winning the conference tourney.

agree ....which is why i find it kinda crazy the negative-nancies are jumping off the bridge in NOV, lol.  Rather play the A10, SEC, and MACs of the world than awful teams

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I love the people who try to argue that since Towson basketball was a complete dumpster fire before Skerry arrived that his mediocre results should be celebrated.  What good are 18-20 wins a season if you don't go to the NCAA Tourney?  As a one bid conference, the only thing that matters is winning the conference tourney.  Having 20 win regular seasons in the CAA means NOTHING.....except maybe a trip to the "prestigious" CIT.

Also, this defeatist attitude of "who could we hire to do better than Skerry", is comical.  Fear or uncertainty about who or what the next coach might be is NOT a reason to NOT make a change.  You know what would be nice?  A new guy comes in and actually improves the program, gets to the Big Dance a time or two.  Maybe that coach gets plucked away from Towson...….but because he's elevated the Towson program, he will have made it a more desirable gig for another successful coach.

How has that worked out for VCU, George Mason, Loyola (Chi), and all the other schools where the coach left? It’s not fear of the uncertainty that I have...rather I am certain that if we spend money to fire Skerry AND then someone comes in and gets us to the dance (something only 1 coach has ever done for us) Towson will not be in a position to get a markedly better coach nor be a more desirable job. I support our teams as much as anyone, and I don’t see that understanding as defeatist so much as being realistic with the hand we have been dealt.

Edited by towson2006

22 hours ago, towson2006 said:

1. The attendance argument has been an issue since the inception of sport at Towson. The only time we ever sold out for a football game in Unitas was when Waddell got the ok from an Interim President to have the SGA pay the NCAA for student seats in 2011. Never before or since have we come close. The only time b-ball has come close to sold out is when we put in hardwood at the Towson center and we got Michigan to come play ... in 1997. Otherwise it’s Robin Thicke and Avril Lavigne that get people in our arenas

2. We will never become a basketball power. Our best hope is to catch lightning in a bottle for a couple years, and PS presents just as good a chance as most anyone we’d hire to complete that task.

The problem is that AD's and Assistant AD's are brought in to make changes. They are paid significant monies to do so. Our AD has had no problem spending monies on new fields, facilities, etc. Those expenditures were and remain necessary.  However, anyone can spend money. We needed and still need someone to bring in significant monies. Our AD was a "fundraising hero" at his previous schools. To say fundraising is at a new high, may or may not be true, but it was so low that anyone could have improved on previous numbers and still leaves us well behind the 8 ball. His assistant AD's, we were told, were great at their jobs. But there has been no increase in attendance at either sport. Therefore, the AD and fundraisers and those assigned to be "fan development" folks have not done their job and we are counting on them to hire and fire coaches, who others see have not done their job. This is not a stab at anyone or any level of administration, but rather what I perceive as a statement of where the athletic department stands. 

But, we do lead the nation in community service. Who gets a raise and extension for that.

2 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

The problem is that AD's and Assistant AD's are brought in to make changes. They are paid significant monies to do so. Our AD has had no problem spending monies on new fields, facilities, etc. Those expenditures were and remain necessary.  However, anyone can spend money. We needed and still need someone to bring in significant monies. Our AD was a "fundraising hero" at his previous schools. To say fundraising is at a new high, may or may not be true, but it was so low that anyone could have improved on previous numbers and still leaves us well behind the 8 ball. His assistant AD's, we were told, were great at their jobs. But there has been no increase in attendance at either sport. Therefore, the AD and fundraisers and those assigned to be "fan development" folks have not done their job and we are counting on them to hire and fire coaches, who others see have not done their job. This is not a stab at anyone or any level of administration, but rather what I perceive as a statement of where the athletic department stands. 

But, we do lead the nation in community service. Who gets a raise and extension for that.

Like the AD before and the AD before...and, as I’ve said previously this is as good as Towson sport has been across the board in 50 years. A few crappy losses don’t change that.