• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
AtlantaTiger

Pat Skerry & Tim Leonard

17 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

There was no tailgating when I went to school so nobody came to the games and the team was horrendous from 1989-1992 so what I’m seeing is progress as they are drawing about double the fans. But basketball is puzzling. The kids just don’t come. You need to get them even more involved because there is no tailgating. But I’m almost to the point of giving up. I’ve tried for 30 years to get people to go to games and we’ve probably had about 10 winning seasons in there. And basically no tradition. Just win and try and put an exciting product on the floor. At some point, people will come.

A mens team making it to the tourney would do wonders. Also bringing quality name brand opponents. 

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

A mens team making it to the tourney would do wonders. Also bringing quality name brand opponents. 

Ok, so even if you bring one decent team to play at the arena, that’s one game out of 14 or 15 games. I also thought going to the NCAA tournament would matter in 1990 and 1991. It didn’t make a huge impact on attendance. Building a new arena helped in the first two years. You need stars In hoops. Also the CAA losing VCU, Mason and ODU didn’t help. We have no real rivals that people care about. 

I worked with the team in 97-99 when it was Jaskulski and crew and we were terrible.  Jas made poor choices with recruiting and assistant coaches.  The asst coaches were BAD to say it nicely.  The program was a disaster and we were in the America East regularly entering the conference tournament as one of the last place teams.  Granted we had a couple of good people/players Ralph Biggs, Brian Barber, etc.  There were a number of people who did not belong in any Division 1 program (players and coaches alike).

1 minute ago, BK_Brian said:

I worked with the team in 97-99 when it was Jaskulski and crew and we were terrible.  Jas made poor choices with recruiting and assistant coaches.  The asst coaches were BAD to say it nicely.  The program was a disaster and we were in the America East regularly entering the conference tournament as one of the last place teams.  Granted we had a couple of good people/players Ralph Biggs, Brian Barber, etc.  There were a number of people who did not belong in any Division 1 program (players and coaches alike).

Were you there for the Delaware debacle?

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Can you refresh my memory?  I was affiliated with the team when D. Newton v. Drexel.   

7 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

There seemed to be a lot of debacles.  I'm not sure how, but we hung with Michigan that one night (mostly b/c Raul DePablo was on fire from 3)

46 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Can you refresh my memory?  I was affiliated with the team when D. Newton v. Drexel.   

They blew a 10-point lead in the last minute or so. I think 1999

1 hour ago, BK_Brian said:

There seemed to be a lot of debacles.  I'm not sure how, but we hung with Michigan that one night (mostly b/c Raul DePablo was on fire from 3)

I think I remember that Michigan matchup at the Towson Center. Think it was pretty hype...

• Like 1

The fact that the michigan game was in 1997, and marked the first time we had hardwood floors, is one of the most amazing things to me. It means we beat Louisville on Kemturf (and they agreed to come play us) as well as went to the tournament by winning at least once on that floor.