• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

FB falls to Elon, 25-23

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/11/23/-19-20-towson-football-narrowly-falls-to-elon.aspx

I don't have much left to say. Truly was a terrible performance by the offense, with four turnovers and the 2018 offense was back. Relying on field goals and getting stuck at around the 25 a handful of times. Rough day for Flacco with three of them. Undisciplined defense in the second half. Poor tackling, missed assignments on the passes in the flat. Zero pass rush until the end and then Gibbs gets called for late hit. Rushing three most of the way. Thought it made sense for Rob to be conservative early on because Flacco was struggling and the O-line wasn't much better. But that safety to start the second half. You just have to take the sack earlier or run. Obviously, he was not 100%. He couldn't run as well as he did earlier in the season and taking him out as a runner (other than a few carries here and there) was crushing. You are now relying on your third and fourth-string backs. Both tried but neither are home run hitters or great receivers out of the backfield.

I'll put the comments in and I have to run. Talk crap as much as you want but please be civil. No personal shots and yes, this weekend has been devastating. Blowing a game to Buffalo in November is no comparison to what happened today. This is a gigantic loss for the program and well, we know RA is on thin ice now.

In all honesty, this was a borderline playoff team at best and yes, we would have likely lost in the first round at home or on the road (we didn't bid for this game). Being disappointing today.

Now to the comments.

Agree we likely would have lost in 1st round of playoffs.

I will likely be excoriated for this, but if Flacco was so banged up/injured that it compromised his effectiveness, he should have been sat down, unless the backup QB is bereft of skill. And if that’s the case, why didn’t the coaching staff bring in a competent backup? Btw, this season’s backup might be next year’s starter. 

I will say 1 thing-this mess today makes the mess yesterday in basketball pale by comparison 

RA opening comments

"Congratulate Elon on the win. Good football team. Well-coached. I'd like to thank our seniors. While tonight isn't the way it was supposed to work out, they have well-represented this school and program time and time again. They brought notoriety, respect and consistency on a national level. That's something that all of should be grateful for."

On second half

Similar to some of the stuff in the first half. We didn't execute well enough. Tale of the tape, can't turn the ball over, get a safety, miss a field goal. Can't do that in this league. They did have a bye week to prepare for us but we let them in the game. It was about us. Just didn't take care of business."

Flacco on his physical issues

Things happen over the course of the season. Fine physically.  Mentally right now, I'm not great. It's tough. A tough loss. We put that into somebody's else's hands. Eight would have guaranteed us but it's very aggravating. I'm very aggravated with myself and what I could have done better."

On career, 50+ TD passes

I'm not even thinking about that right now. It's not the way you wanted to end your career. I didn't play like I wanted to. Didn't play like I expected to. This team needed more.

On experience as a senior

It's tough to take that step back right now. But I can't be anymore grateful to what Towson gave me. It was a long journeey. A long college football journey for me.  I'm not happy it ended like this. Tough to take a step back because of what happened today, but I will one day. I wish it could have ended better."

RA on this season

It's a tale of two seasons and probably two teams. Who we were in the first part of the season was pretty impressive. We were pretty good, explosive and talented. Then the knees happened. We regrouped as a team. A lot of young guys stepped up. We got better defensively. Got better as a team. Ran the ball better. That will help in the future. Very proud of them (young kids). Returning both lines and that's where it starts. We got better up front as the season went on and will bear fruit in the future.

On the defense in second half-swing passes wide open

Bad eyes will get you. There's somebody responsible for the back and somebody responsible for the quarterback. When your eyes are in the wrong place, those guys take off running and you are in trouble. Some of our younger players got a hard lesson in spy technique. We will get better.

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Agree we likely would have lost in 1st round of playoffs.

I will likely be excoriated for this, but if Flacco was so banged up/injured that it compromised his effectiveness, he should have been sat down, unless the backup QB is bereft of skill. And if that’s the case, why didn’t the coaching staff bring in a competent backup? Btw, this season’s backup might be next year’s starter. 

I will say 1 thing-this mess today makes the mess yesterday in basketball pale by comparison 

A 75% Flacco is better than most quarterbacks in the league. Stover is not better than him. We went 7 games and 3 straight with Flacco winning the game. Today, he was bad. Not all his fault. His O-line was subpar at times, though he was holding the ball too long at times. When we needed a nice third down run, we couldn't get it. We were hit or miss in the run game, but when it's all said and done, you go -3 in the turnover category (forgot we did force one on the kickoff) and you don't deserve to win. And maybe you were right on the chat, we got conservative because we were worried about turning it over and thought the defense could carry us. They didn't. They stunk in the second half. 

He was banged up after the JMU game and was limping around before the (rare) home win over Delaware. I just think, while he won't admit it, that lack of being healthy cost him today. It didn't cost him as badly in the previous three games but you could see that he wasn't running with the same explosion and he wasn't able to get away from any sacks.

I'll say this before I go. These are one of the days that you sit back and wonder why the hell am I still doing this after so many years. To lose like this to a team that had nothing to play for save for pride is utterly ridiculous but to use to old phrase that somebody brought back last night is so S.O.T. 

Well, the Flacco era ended not with a bang, but a whimper. If we could only win 7 games per year with him, what does that mean with a new QB next year? 

Mat, I assume I speak for the 10-20 of us on this board who really care (that number is kinda sad in and of itself) when I say I hope you keep doing what you’ve been doing all these years

• Like 2

Yeedee had some explosive runs, but that fumble cost us big time (plus, he fumbled again on the drive where we missed the FG; we recovered but the slow whistle and loose ball made huge difference, as it was second and 11 instead of second and 4). I didn't see what Gibbs did on the personal foul call on Elon's final drive; seemed to me like the whistle was late again. But here's one of the plays that's sticking in my craw: TF completes a long pass to an uncovered Rutkowski, who falls to the ground after leaping to make the catch; the thing is, Rut slowed down instead of making the catch in stride and scoring easily. Instead, we settle for a FG. 

In the end, I think the offense relaxed once we went up 14-0  midway through the first quarter. We should have kept our foot on the throttle.

26 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Yeedee had some explosive runs, but that fumble cost us big time (plus, he fumbled again on the drive where we missed the FG; we recovered but the slow whistle and loose ball made huge difference, as it was second and 11 instead of second and 4). I didn't see what Gibbs did on the personal foul call on Elon's final drive; seemed to me like the whistle was late again. But here's one of the plays that's sticking in my craw: TF completes a long pass to an uncovered Rutkowski, who falls to the ground after leaping to make the catch; the thing is, Rut slowed down instead of making the catch in stride and scoring easily. Instead, we settle for a FG. 

In the end, I think the offense relaxed once we went up 14-0  midway through the first quarter. We should have kept our foot on the throttle.

On the roughing play - I’m pretty convinced the whistle had not blown when we hit the QB. 

Yawn same old same old. Just drop Athletics if you aren’t interested in winning. Tim and others here aren’t.   It’s a joke at this point. An idiot can get into the playoffs.