• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Fire Ambrose

6 minutes ago, TUTigers said:

I think Waddell deserves a lot of credit for the turn around as well. I don’t think the football program has the success it does without him. 

I struggle more with Pat Skerry and the basketball team. We averaged 2,000 a game in the 1980's and played in a 1 bid league. 40 years later we still average 2,000 a game and play in a one bid league.  Basketball is cheaper to run and we play in a great high school basketball area(DC/Balto).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

I struggle more with Pat Skerry and the basketball team. We averaged 2,000 a game in the 1980's and played in a 1 bid league. 40 years later we still average 2,000 a game and play in a one bid league.  Basketball is cheaper to run and we play in a great high school basketball area(DC/Balto).

I agree w this.  

I agree. However one thing not spoken of is the younger generation just does not care much about sports. I’m not saying all of them just a large number. Many of my friends with children in elementary-high school just don’t care about sports and are not interested in anything sport related. Of course you would think they would be interested if they played sports but those numbers are dwindling nation wide as well. It sucks we can’t get a fraction of our student body there but I really think many younger college kids just generally don’t care. 

22 hours ago, TuTiger10 said:

I agree. However one thing not spoken of is the younger generation just does not care much about sports. I’m not saying all of them just a large number. Many of my friends with children in elementary-high school just don’t care about sports and are not interested in anything sport related. Of course you would think they would be interested if they played sports but those numbers are dwindling nation wide as well. It sucks we can’t get a fraction of our student body there but I really think many younger college kids just generally don’t care. 

Again, as so many have stated before, it is the job of the administration to come up with ways to get folks in the stands. That is why we have so many administrators making 6 figure salaries. They just have not done their job. The fact is that it is a hard thing to do at Towson, that is getting folks in the stands. Maybe that tells you where the student body wants to prioritize or in fact deprioritize sports. Instead, we just keep paying administrators more and more to not improve the situation. Don't blame the coaches for the extensions and salaries. If an adminstrator is willing to throw these numbers out, all the coach is doing is taking it. 

Based on our funding and fund raising, the America East is a better fit. 

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

Again, as so many have stated before, it is the job of the administration to come up with ways to get folks in the stands. That is why we have so many administrators making 6 figure salaries. They just have not done their job. The fact is that it is a hard thing to do at Towson, that is getting folks in the stands. Maybe that tells you where the student body wants to prioritize or in fact deprioritize sports. Instead, we just keep paying administrators more and more to not improve the situation. Don't blame the coaches for the extensions and salaries. If an adminstrator is willing to throw these numbers out, all the coach is doing is taking it. 

Based on our funding and fund raising, the America East is a better fit. 

Agree with your first point.

But America East would increase travel costs. Some of those schools are a haul.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, TuTiger10 said:

Its not about not caring about sports.... Its a cycle and we are not breaking it.. I tried but only moved the needle as we had internal forces which we all know about (school admin) roadblock us. When I was a freshman in 2012 everyone in our dorm went to the first couple of football games. Then what happens is you meet sophomores + older students and they could not give one f about our sports programs (actually other than Lax I found & the Temple game). On weekends at parties, sports are on the TV ie college basketball/football. Its our own issue. Its a cycle which we need to break. Cant only target freshman because they follow the lead of older classes

3 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Its not about not caring about sports.... Its a cycle and we are not breaking it.. I tried but only moved the needle as we had internal forces which we all know about (school admin) roadblock us. When I was a freshman in 2012 everyone in our dorm went to the first couple of football games. Then what happens is you meet sophomores + older students and they could not give one f about our sports programs (actually other than Lax I found & the Temple game). On weekends at parties, sports are on the TV ie college basketball/football. Its our own issue. Its a cycle which we need to break. Cant only target freshman because they follow the lead of older classes

It's both. Attendance at 95% of sporting events, pro or college, is down. That is a fact.  The University does a bad job promoting and the students don't care/won't care. That's also a fact. Baltimore and Maryland itself is not a great sports area. It just isn't.  UMBC coming off the UVA upset, and a brand new arena, barely average 1,450 people last year.  Maryland is (and it pains me to say) very good and even they aren't drawing. 

• Thanks 1