• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB finishes Charleston Classic with 76-64 win over St. Joe's

17 minutes ago, TT2015 said:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve been following the the board for many years but am a first time poster to address how absurdly negative most people on here are.

Should we have beaten Kent State (#109)? Yes. Should we have beaten Buffalo (#104)? Yes. Could we have beaten #15 Florida on the road? Sure. There are times when the criticism is deserved... but how about giving some credit when it’s due. It’s exhausting and disturbing to read some of your comments after going toe to toe with Florida in Gainesville and a dominant performance over St. Joe’s. Here are the facts:

Towson is currently the #144 team in the country per Kenpom and #3 in CAA. I would sign up for that EVERY single year at Towson. If that were to hold serve, we would be championship contenders come March.

Glad to see im not the only one.  Like you said, bad losses sure there’s nothing wrong with frustration and saying what went wrong.   But by the dominant tone here is like its been 1-31 every year. 

And they DONT lose every close game. There were several games during the 17-18 season where they pulled out some close ones, where Matt and i said to each other, they probably lose that game in the past.  

yeah, last year not so much.  This year we will just wait and see. 

There are people here who have been very noticeable by their absence in this thread that have an agenda that the coaches must go.  Doesn't matter how a loss happens, it's on the respective sport's coach.  It's the same BS every game and frankly, it's getting to the point where I'm beginning to re-evaluate my amount of participation on here.  It's tough to talk actual basketball when you have to tiptoe thru the minefield of 'fire coach x' and 'fire coach y'.  Was the Buffalo loss a choke job?  No doubt it was.  Is that on the coaching staff?  Not entirely.  They can't control a senior trying to play too fast instead of taking care of the ball and instead, he turns it over (Tunstall in a 7-point game).  They can't pass and move the ball against the press for the players.  At some point, the actual players on the floor have to execute.  But good on them for regrouping on Saturday and coming out and putting together a winning performance on Sunday nite.  I was on the road during the game so I didn't see or hear any of it but it does mean a little something when you hold down a team that put 90+ on the board against UCONN.

One other thing about the negativity -- I'm wondering if those same people stuck around to watch the Xavier-UCONN game that followed us on Friday night.  If they had, they would have seen BOTH teams make the exact mistakes at the end of regulation and both overtimes that we did in yakking the late lead.  Does that make Hurley and Steele awful coaches?  

The next few games will serve as another progress report as we get ready to head to conference play.  Cornell just lost to Coppin but going to upstate NY is never easy.  Morgan always gives us a rock fight, especially at their place and they took Evansville (remember they beat Kentucky two weeks ago?) to triple OT on Sunday.  And then there's Vermont...that'll be a very tall test at their place.  If we can build off Sunday nite's win, I don't see any reason why we can get 2 out of 3 minimum in this next stretch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

There are people here who have been very noticeable by their absence in this thread that have an agenda that the coaches must go.  Doesn't matter how a loss happens, it's on the respective sport's coach.  It's the same BS every game and frankly, it's getting to the point where I'm beginning to re-evaluate my amount of participation on here.  It's tough to talk actual basketball when you have to tiptoe thru the minefield of 'fire coach x' and 'fire coach y'.  Was the Buffalo loss a choke job?  No doubt it was.  Is that on the coaching staff?  Not entirely.  They can't control a senior trying to play too fast instead of taking care of the ball and instead, he turns it over (Tunstall in a 7-point game).  They can't pass and move the ball against the press for the players.  At some point, the actual players on the floor have to execute.  But good on them for regrouping on Saturday and coming out and putting together a winning performance on Sunday nite.  I was on the road during the game so I didn't see or hear any of it but it does mean a little something when you hold down a team that put 90+ on the board against UCONN.

One other thing about the negativity -- I'm wondering if those same people stuck around to watch the Xavier-UCONN game that followed us on Friday night.  If they had, they would have seen BOTH teams make the exact mistakes at the end of regulation and both overtimes that we did in yakking the late lead.  Does that make Hurley and Steele awful coaches?  

The next few games will serve as another progress report as we get ready to head to conference play.  Cornell just lost to Coppin but going to upstate NY is never easy.  Morgan always gives us a rock fight, especially at their place and they took Evansville (remember they beat Kentucky two weeks ago?) to triple OT on Sunday.  And then there's Vermont...that'll be a very tall test at their place.  If we can build off Sunday nite's win, I don't see any reason why we can get 2 out of 3 minimum in this next stretch.

Hang in there Chris. The negativity and name-calling gets old, I know. This was as tough of a weekend that I can remember. On the field and on the boards.

Basketball-wise, some of those criticisms are valid. Talking about use of personnel and handling of late-game situations. Tunstall was not on the floor late yesterday. But Gray was. That’s what these November games are for. But you know the next loss will be the same old junk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

I'm not going to comment on a game that I didn't see and been out of town.  Sounds like some changes were made and they played different groups of players, got their best shooter more than one shot, and pushed the tempo a little. That's good and changes  that we all would like to see to put them in better shape to win. Kudos to them bouncing back after what was probably a long 36+ hours of sitting around with the stench of the last 2 minutes of Friday.  I'm not going to hide when they win because it "doesn't fit my agenda." I'd rather be wrong then right, because that means they are winning.

It is Skerrys way or the highway, so the blame on him for the same mistakes for close a decade are absolutely reasonable.  We hardly if ever, come out of a time out with a good play or frankly any clue what we are doing.  Chris, your'e a basketball person, you know that it is true.  If it was 1 cycle of players, sure it could be more of a player problem than coaching. But we are 9 years in with 80+ different players with the same issues?? That's not just a random coincidence. 

Bottom line is they won a game (after a tough defeat) against another lower level A10 team. A game that we should probably win and did. That is great. Now lets stop yaking up late game leads and win the 50/50 games and a few 40/60 ones.

14 hours ago, bucketsandbirds said:

I get it. Just trying to post a deserting view 😎

Foe the record ive been there up close nearly evey home game and many road and tournament gsmes since Skerry’s first year. 

i understand many like Matt have been following tbe team for nearly 25 to 30 years. 

i Am just never amazed at how rhe negative posts following a loss will outnumber the positive after any win easily 2 to 1.  

Matt has asked me why i dont post on here more often.   And Frankly not that it will matter to anyone.  But its the rampant negative tone on here 

And before anyone says, “Welcome to the internet” I’m an active member on several forums and even the Director of one of the largest ones in its sport. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hopefully we can sneak out some wins against the likes of Liberty & Vermont- I think that would give the board some confidence into conference play

11 minutes ago, bucketsandbirds said:

Vermont would be a steal of a win. They only lost to UVA by six.  And they only seem to lose to UMBC at home 

I doubt anybody is beating Vermont in Burlington.

• Like 1