• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Vermont, 55-38

Ok, the numbers may be a little off, but, since 2012-13, we are 32W vs 78L when we score less than 70ppg. Conversely, during that same period of time, we are 94W vs 29L when we score 70 or more ppg.

Moral to the story: recruit better scorers and less “try hard, bang the boards & play hard-nosed D” guys

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Ok, the numbers may be a little off, but, since 2012-13, we are 32W vs 78L when we score less than 70ppg. Conversely, during that same period of time, we are 94W vs 29L when we score 70 or more ppg.

Moral to the story: recruit better scorers and less “try hard, bang the boards & play hard-nosed D” guys

I have to be honest, I don't think Skerry is CAPABLE of recruiting better scorers.  I'm beginning to to believe that he's settling for whatever he can get in terms of recruits ("Beggars can't be choosers").  The truly unfortunate part is that he doesn't appear capable of developing the players he is able to land, nor does he put them in a great position to win with his X's & O's. 

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I think everyone is missing the point... The first year we needed to play that style because we didn't have the players and skills. This team has some guys who can score and can shoot. We are not going to score 80 a game, but Fobbs, Betrand, Sanders can score a bit. It's the coaching and philosophy that's the problem. Rarely do we switch defenses. Rarely do we show a press or even a token press (even with a stopped clock and 5 seconds left, we let them roll the ball up! Infuriating! Make them catch it moving away from your hoop!). Rarely do we run or push the pace, this is especially bad, since we do typically play good defense and create lots of misses. Rarely do we run good sets that result in a good shot. We run late crap, like horns, which leads to at best a 1-1 contested shot.

Just look how easy it is for teams to get good looks off us as we over-rotate many times. They don't work particular hard for good looks, especially down low. Players get lost and free for high percentage shots. We always have to work incredibly hard for semi-decent looks. Always have, always will.  Is some of it the players, not moving the ball enough and quick enough? Absolutely. But at some point that's on the leadership to change that culture/selfishness issue. Is some of it on the coaching staff for not calling great plays to run? Absolutely. 

My stats don’t include the 1st year (2011-12).  While you raise valid points, it doesn’t change the fact we’re almost always scorer deprived and need better shooters/scorers

yikes; here we go again.  maybe i was looking for more inside player/coach/school stuff info, and/or more positive vibes from this site in general and to learn about other teams and a bit of history (G Neal thing is very cool)......but, OMG.  do y'all get the Vegas/Kenprom lines/stats thing?  Tigers were 9pt dawgs....who was really expecting a win AT Vermont?  Would have been nice /Great...but the other BETTER team was trying too i promise u.  (Now, i would have LOVED that delayed plane info BEFORE the game, but thats a diff story)    but wake me if we lose AT HOME v UMBC; or other games we are "suppose to win" otherwise  - the " all players and coaches stink/should be fired . (AD too? lol)" thing is CRAZY.  As this season goes so far, we are where you'd (reasonably!) think we'd be.....so why the panic?  really.  we are playin good teams, on the road, instead of the dog crap ones.  (mybe im not jaded enough?)  Gonzaga it aint (nor App St for Football, and fields/arenas aint gonna do it).  Hope for improvement during league play - and see where the tournament goes.  All others: on campus Counseling Center takes walk-ins M-F, 8-5 

36 minutes ago, TTiger2024 said:

yikes; here we go again.  maybe i was looking for more inside player/coach/school stuff info, and/or more positive vibes from this site in general and to learn about other teams and a bit of history (G Neal thing is very cool)......but, OMG.  do y'all get the Vegas/Kenprom lines/stats thing?  Tigers were 9pt dawgs....who was really expecting a win AT Vermont?  Would have been nice /Great...but the other BETTER team was trying too i promise u.  (Now, i would have LOVED that delayed plane info BEFORE the game, but thats a diff story)    but wake me if we lose AT HOME v UMBC; or other games we are "suppose to win" otherwise  - the " all players and coaches stink/should be fired . (AD too? lol)" thing is CRAZY.  As this season goes so far, we are where you'd (reasonably!) think we'd be.....so why the panic?  really.  we are playin good teams, on the road, instead of the dog crap ones.  (mybe im not jaded enough?)  Gonzaga it aint (nor App St for Football, and fields/arenas aint gonna do it).  Hope for improvement during league play - and see where the tournament goes.  All others: on campus Counseling Center takes walk-ins M-F, 8-5 

Oh man. 2024, so I guess it makes sense. A lot of us here have seen the same old story year and year out with hoops and football, and it seems like you have not.

"8.5 point dawg" and got run out of the gym by 20, while not even breaking 40 points is embarrassing.  The teams we have played this year (I don't count the major two teams as those are expected L's), have been; Bad, a Bad D3, Solid MM, Solid MM, Bad, Awful and Solid MM. Those views are off of watching the games, seeing the teams play multiple games, and your Kenpom.  So the 3 really tough games that were evenly matched, we blew a late lead in a tight game at home in OT, hacked up a lead with 1.45 left on a neutral court and got smoked on the road. These are the types of teams we will play in conference where every point matters and comes down to a single possession, where we don't have the coaching, and go to player to win the close ones.