• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

What we're missing

Even though Fobbs is having a very disappointing start to the season, there could be a number of reasons why he's struggling. Part of that could be due to the new three-point line. If you watched Maryland/Illinois today, Aaron Wiggins, the outstanding three-man for the Terps, looks anything but outstanding. His three-point shot has been way off this season and he looked like a future first-round pick last season. So the lengthier three-point line seems to be having an effect on many teams throughout the nation.

One thing Fobbs needs to do, but can't, is creating his own shot. He did some of that last year, especially when you look at the UMBC game. He was coming off screens and shooting everything from short mid-range shots to three-pointers. But when he goes left, the whole world knows it. He's well-scouted. When he puts the ball in his right hand, his off-hand, defenses are forcing turnovers.

Basically, we have nobody that can create off the bounce. Betrand might be the closest player, but he's inconsistent. He can get to the rim, but he tends to fadeaway too often. Dottin can get to the rim, but either can't finish or just isn't explosive enough. Gray is a face-up shooter. Timberlake wants to be a face-up shooter, but he's not using his athletic ability to get to the rim. I don't know if it's the knee issue, because he looks fine. 

It seems to be a problem with recruiting. I don't know if Mims can get his own shot. I really haven't seen him when he was healthy. Tough to ask the freshmen next season to create and score off the bounce. But that's what you need to get to the next level. That's what Pusica did for NE last season. It's what Riller can do. It's what Anthony Cowan can do for Maryland. They can score when the shotclock or game is winding down. Right now, we don't have that player, who can take over a game or stop a drought. You just can't rely on a shooter like Gray, who needs to be set up.

You can't just rely on Fobbs. The guards have to become more alpha dogs.

“It seems to be a problem with recruiting.” I’ve been preaching this for years. You’ve hit the nail on the head. 

Not sure next year’s incoming recruiting class addresses our shooting woes either. The Canadian kid looks like a banger, Barnes I believe is more renowned for his D, and Jones, the Oakhill kid, is a skywalker/uber athletic type

I didn't say we need shooters. We need scorers. Shooters can only do so much. They have to be set up by a creative guard or a big that can take the pressure off of the perimeter guys. Sanders is certainly not good enough to do that, but he's the only low-post threat we have right now. We're adding five guys next season and they all, save for the Canadian kid (likely redshirt), could help. But how will they help? Of course, big Vic should be an instant rim protector, Mims and Jones are great athletes. Our defense should be fine. But we don't press so we don't get a lot of transition points off of steals, though we are forcing more turnovers this season than usual. We don't use our athletes and we'll be even longer and more athletic next season. Add Solly and that's six new guys basically. 

But I don't know if there is one guy who can create. Again, haven't really seen Mims and you can't judge him at Long Beach St. You have to hope to develop one of the guys. Maybe Betrand becomes the top guy next season.

I'm trying to keep track of Darrick Jones Jr. at Oak Hill. He was starting to develop a three-point shot last season. Seems like he's struggling in the first seven games. He's 0-8 from three-point so he'll fit in at Towson just perfectly (was 43% last year). 

https://www.oakhillhoops.com/stats/team_instance/4833944?mirror_id=5280606&subseason=625714&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=3782967

Haven't seen Corey Barnes' numbers at Archbishop Carroll HS in D.C. They are 1-2 and have losses to DeMatha and St. John's so that schedule is tough. Think he's a combo guard who can play the point. 

Who on this team do you have confidence in CONSISTENTLY hitting an open jump shot? 38% shooting Fobbs? 42% shooting Betrand? 30% shooting Gibson? 28% shooting Timberlake? Maybe 50% Gray is about it. 

Please don’t insult my intelligence by telling me we don’t need shooters, for that is a ridiculous assertion 

One thing we absolutely do NOT need is more shooters.  We have a roster of shooters.

What we need is a few MAKERS.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Who on this team do you have confidence in CONSISTENTLY hitting an open jump shot? 38% shooting Fobbs? 42% shooting Betrand? 30% shooting Gibson? 28% shooting Timberlake? Maybe 50% Gray is about it. 

Please don’t insult my intelligence by telling me we don’t need shooters, for that is a ridiculous assertion 

I said scorers. I didn't say I just want guys that can hit a 25-footer with nobody in their face. Go out and get a roster of Four McGlynns and see how that works out. I was at about 5 or 6 practices and believe me, they need creators more than shooters. But sure, I'm insulting your intelligence because you have our lousy stats, where we struggled against Xavier, Florida, Vermont and Buffalo. 

BTW, we still have one scholarship left. If they can find another guy who can put the ball in the basket and doesn't need a screen, great. Get him. I don't care if he's 6-2 or 6-9. We need scorers, but I assume that last ship will go to a transfer.