• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

Football to play North Dakota State in 2021

37 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

When Spiro told me about that at the Florida basketball game, my jaw dropped. That’s a really nice marriage and it shows NDSU isn’t scared one bit about taking on a tough game on the road.  Given their history vs 1-A teams, I’m not surprised they’d do it. 

NDSU has trouble scheduling FBS games. No one wants to play them, so they have to go this route. They did a H and H with Delaware and Weber and JMU are doing one as well.  This is good for the CAA as the conference is not close to what it used to be.  The need for better games is apparent as east coast leagues, NEC, Patriot, MEAC, are not good.

13 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Interestingly enough they actually have not played an FBS school since beating Iowa State 34-14 in 2014. FBS schools probably got sick of losing to them. They are at Oregon to start the season next year but are slated to play Towson, Albany, and Valpo in 2021. Of course, we also have San Diego State in 2021. I don't know how the CAA schedule shakes out that year, but if we play James Madison that will be an absolutely hellacious schedule. This is exciting. There is no excuse for this game not to be close to a sellout, especially considering they will probably bring at least 1,000 fans. I know they are not a brand name, but we should at least be able to hype up the concept of this game to get close to filling the place. 

It's going to be a rough stretch and hopefully we are breaking in a new coach. They will probably bring around 2,000 (again depending on how well they finish this year and next). Maybe we can package it around a parents weekend and get 8K there.

2 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

When Spiro told me about that at the Florida basketball game, my jaw dropped. That’s a really nice marriage and it shows NDSU isn’t scared one bit about taking on a tough game on the road.  Given their history vs 1-A teams, I’m not surprised they’d do it. 

Tough game on the road? LOL...

Well it's good we have a team with some name recognition coming to us..

• Haha 1

New coach or old coach, that’s going to be brand new team for the most part. Assuming all the injured guys return, the key graduating seniors will be: LT Garnett, LG Grzymkowsi, RB Simpson, TE Epps, S Tippett, RG Gilmore, RT Darian Bryant, DT Tibo Debaile, DL Ron Johnson, DE Q. Alexander, DE Bryce Carter, DE Marcus Bowman.

Some of those guys could apply for another year if they only played four or less in a year and didn’t redshirt already.

NDSU is a machine and it's going to take a lot to keep it close. Saw them in person, when we made the championship, and was really impressed how much better they were. They are on their 3rd coach in the dynasty and it just keeps on moving. They are FCS in name only. Gonna be a huge test for us, but something the players and staff should look forward to.  This is the equivalent of Alabama or Clemson going to college park for a non-conf game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

NDSU is a machine and it's going to take a lot to keep it close. Saw them in person, when we made the championship, and was really impressed how much better they were. They are on their 3rd coach in the dynasty and it just keeps on moving. They are FCS in name only. Gonna be a huge test for us, but something the players and staff should look forward to.  This is the equivalent of Alabama or Clemson going to college park for a non-conf game.

No it’s not. It’s a monumental challenge but you’re comparing us to a terrible FBS team. They would beat them worse than Penn State did.

They beat Delaware on the road, 47-22. I would hope our score would be a bit closer and we might get a recruit or two because, let’s face it, we’ll be back playing two FBS teams that year or three. Not sure if we’re playing JMU.

2 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Dumb move. Only way it can help us is with FCS recruits.

RundaPower, why is this a dumb move? I realize we might not be up to the competition and that outside of FCS circles NDSU only has a limited amount of brand-name recognition (you have to admit they have a little having hosted College Gameday twice). No matter who our coach is and what we think about this program, we have shown we can compete in the conference at times and that we can be a top 20ish team. Why not give it a shot?

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

No it’s not. It’s a monumental challenge but you’re comparing us to a terrible FBS team. They would beat them worse than Penn State did.

You're missing what I'm saying.. To Runda who says its "Dumb."  Playing a dynasty and the best team by far at your level in a home non-conference game is huge.  Maryland does not get those type of non conference games at home, (Texas at FedEx), I'm saying that this is a very good opportunity for us.

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

You're missing what I'm saying.. To Runda who says its "Dumb."  Playing a dynasty and the best team by far at your level in a home non-conference game is huge.  Maryland does not get those type of non conference games at home, (Texas at FedEx), I'm saying that this is a very good opportunity for us.

Ok I guess comparing us to Maryland led me astray.