• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB blows late lead, beats Tulane in OT 86-82

On 12/22/2019 at 12:38 PM, TTiger2024 said:

6-6 before league play starts.  i assume this is the best pre-conf schedule they have had in years....fair to say?  ( i know they were like 8-2'ish a few years ago, but cant imagine they were playin teams like this year).  i had'm at 5-7 when i looked at the schedule to start the year (GW). 

Love Sanders being a beast and attacking the rim, Betrand's game, Tunstall on the glass, and the fact we have multiple VERY good free throw shooters (that will win you an xtra game or 3 !) . But most exciting developments as i watched the "preseason" wrap-up:  (1) Timberlake breaking out a bit v Tulane.  mins + experience = confidence.  he's got the skillz to average double figures, and if he's making the 3ball - he's gonna be more than solid.  (loved the fast break pull-up 15ft'er).  (2) Gibson getting major mins, in crunchtime, early in the season v good teams- has to help down the road (this season and beyond).  I didn't see Four MacGlynn play, but Gibson's range seems as legit.  Love these two guys playing together offensively, and Dottin's defense.  (3) Fobbs > Jame Harden !!!!!   As far as i'm concerned, any shot he takes is a good one.  He plays smooth, and is rarely sped-up by the other team; so when he gets his shoulders squared; he should fire 10times outta 10!    Loved the zone mixed-in; and an overtime win (mental toughness!).  When handed lemons, i have a tendency to make vodka lemonade; but i'm excited for CAA play.  Doesn't seem to be an unbeatable / top team , and then "the rest".  2020 = WhyNot the Tigers?     

Happy Holidays All 

Wow. Can you get everyone here some of those drinks?? 

Every game someone shows something one game than nothing the next. Gibson is a freshman but not anywhere close to 4s shooting ability. This coming from the biggest 4 hater. He couldn’t do anything else besides 3s and Ft. Gibson gives effort on D

fobbs harden? Really?! Haha. Every shot he takes is a good one because there really isn’t another double figure scorer on this team

sanders is the Towson hoops program in a nutshell. 

Caa is wide open. But every game will be close and that favors everyone except us

Hate to be the glass half empty guy, but I have to agree that close games don’t favor us. We beat Tulane in OT, but the game only went to OT due to us yakking a 9-point lead. Then there was Kent State, Buffalo & Florida. Of course, all of them are better than us, but still the common thread between all 3 of those games was our inability to pull each game out at the end.

I don’t know about anyone else, but, when we have a 8+ point lead, the 1st thing I say to myself is that the other team has us right where they want us.  Seems like we play not to lose, rather than to win. I also have zero confidence in us getting off a good shot coming out of a timeout at the end of a close game. I’m not talking about making a shot, I’m talking about even getting a shot off

Edited by TSU88

I’ll have what TTiger2024 is having. This years team doesn’t seem to have that dominance on the boards that is typical of a Towson basketball team. They also haven’t shown the confidence to put teams away late in the game with a lead. I do think this team is progressing and building good chemistry. We are battle tested from a tough out of conference schedule and that experience should pay dividends down the stretch. Need to see more of that Boston bounce from Timberlake now that he’s healthy. I’d like to see us press or trap more on defense with our length and athleticism. Also,want to see more up tempo transition plays that lead to dunks. 

Toews killed us last year as I recall. However, his playing time this year was probably reduced, as UNCW brought in a U of Florida transfer PG & a freshman we offered named Shykeim Phillips, who is averaging about 9ppg, & had 6 assists last Saturday vs Vanderbilt 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Toews killed us last year as I recall. However, his playing time this year was probably reduced, as UNCW brought in a U of Florida transfer PG & a freshman we offered named Shykeim Phillips, who is averaging about 9ppg, & had 6 assists last Saturday vs Vanderbilt 

Also let it be known that their fan base is calling for his firing, less than 3 years in.  So it’s not just us here where change is wanted due to underachieving results 

So I see he wasn't playing as much and not producing a lot of points. But the kid was an exceptional passer. Set the all-time mark for assists in the CAA in his freshman season. But he was a 21-year old sophomore. Maybe he just had other aspirations and goals, but to leave that early is odd. I guess playing and starting for the same team for four years, even at this level is becoming difficult.