• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Thoroughly outclassed

I know the protocol is to wait until the 1st post goes up, with Skerry’s postgame presser comments, but I felt compelled to jump the gun.

On a day in which we had a chance to establish momentum with a W at home in the conference opener, today’s performance was nothing short of depressing.  Over the years, the players change, but the one constant during the Skerry era is the scoring desert. Today, it lasted about 10 minutes in the 1st half & by the time it was over, so was the game. Why do these deserts persist? Because the coach either can’t or won’t recruit skilled offensive players. In this years 9-man rotation, we have 4 players who, absent the odd outlier game, basically bring little or nothing to the table offensively (Dottin, Gray, Thompson & Tunstall). I believe the 4 of them scored a total of 2-4 points today.  Gibson & Timberlake are slightly ahead of those 4, which is faint praise.

Then there’s Sanders and his idiotic fouls and atrocious foul shooting.

I thought, before today, we might be middle of the pack in conference play (sad, that that’s our best case scenario). While it’s only 1 game, after today I’d say we’re destined for the bottom of the conference.

This team, as with most Skerry teams, is joyless to watch. Every offensive possession is a death struggle to get off a shot-there’s never an easy look, and there’s plenty of bricks, offensive fouls and turnovers. I’m at a point where I’m pretty much ambivalent about the basketball program. Skerry ball has pretty much extinguished my passion. During the game today, my mind drifted to thoughts about the weather, dinner tonight.... That is, until I left with about 8 minutes left in the game. 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, 88. I've been watching games since we played them in Burdick Hall, so I know all about the highs (here and there) and lows (too many to count) of the program. Yes, we're better off than during the Kennedy years, but not by much (the league is weaker without VCU, GMU and OD, so we might actually be at about the same level once that's factored in). I will continue to pay attention, but with less and less interest unless some miraculous transformation takes place. That's sad, because men's b-ball is already fan-starved.

• Like 1

Give it time. We will be good next year or something. Pats a great coach just dealt a bad hand this year with Howard getting kicked off the team and Solomon injured. We played a tough ooc but it’s all about caa play. Hats off to Ne our guys weren’t prepared and that’s on that staff. 

All joking aside, staring down a 0-3 start

29 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I'm in the same boat, 88. I've been watching games since we played them in Burdick Hall, so I know all about the highs (here and there) and lows (too many to count) of the program. Yes, we're better off than during the Kennedy years, but not by much (the league is weaker without VCU, GMU and OD, so we might actually be at about the same level once that's factored in). I will continue to pay attention, but with less and less interest unless some miraculous transformation takes place. That's sad, because men's b-ball is already fan-starved.

Don’t your dare use facts.  

His substitutions kill me. When a player gets hot he subs them out. How do players get a feel for the game if the subbed out so fast. I brought friends to today’s game and I was embarrassed. I’m a huge fan of Skerry as a person but today was bad. I don’t think any of our players had more than one open shot. 

• Like 1

Too early to determine where we will finish in the conference based on one game, but yes Saturday's performance was highly disappointing. If Skerry and the players don't come out ready to play at a high level today against Hofstra I will join the negativity, but let's see what today brings before calling the season over. We knew this was a tough schedule to start conference play, but we are at home and I was hoping to be able to win at least one of these games to get off on the right foot in conference play. 

8 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Too early to determine where we will finish in the conference based on one game, but yes Saturday's performance was highly disappointing. If Skerry and the players don't come out ready to play at a high level today against Hofstra I will join the negativity, but let's see what today brings before calling the season over. We knew this was a tough schedule to start conference play, but we are at home and I was hoping to be able to win at least one of these games to get off on the right foot in conference play. 

All conference games are tough, with the exception of UNCW and Elon this year. Getting curb-stomped by a conference opponent that is around your level, at home, is embarrassing and unacceptable 

And let me say this, I'm upset we lost, but not surprised as NE is a good team and has a coach with more ability in his pinky than Pat does in his entire body. I'm angry that we got blown out and showed zero effort and intensity.  This is a supposed deep team, that had played twice in 17 days, with minimal travel and got Christmas off, the lack of effort and execution is infuriating.  

All conference games are tough is cliche. Playing UNC-Wilmington, Elon or Drexel would be a little easier than playing the projected top three teams (Hofstra, Charleston, and Northeastern) in the conference to start the schedule. That being said, if we are any good (which we don't look like so far) I would expect to win one of these two home games and that is going to be tough now. Of course it is disappointing to lay an egg in the opener but we have 17 more of these conference games to go. I will try to be a little less of an rmist and actually wait a couple of games before I jump all over how bad we are going to be this year.