• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
tu_fan

Bad at recruiting and coaching.....

You know the worst part, we’ll be posting these same type of comments up until spring 2027, when Skerry’s contract runs out, assuming any of us still give a damn at that point. Isn’t the thought of 7 more seasons of this depressing?

• Like 1

Could not agree more with the majority of the comments on this topic.  I gave up on Skerry about 2 years ago.  He is what he is as a coach......he's not going to improve anymore as a recruiter or as a player-developer.  I'm done critiquing his shortcomings, as they are many.

I am, however, going to start turning my attention to our Athletic Director.  Tim Leonard strikes me as an absentee AD who has fallen asleep at the wheel.

I would love to hear/see/read an interview with Tim Leonard where he addresses the current state of TU athletics.  I would love to hear him answer specific questions regarding the direction of the men's basketball team and football team.  I would love to know how he personally defines "success" for these programs and what he considers his responsibility in achieving that success.

I have never met the guy.  He may be the nicest guy of the highest integrity, which is fantastic......however, I get the impression that the guy is far too comfortable with mediocrity and the status quo.  Kinda feel like he's very content putting his feet up on his desk and collecting a nice paycheck while just watching the teams spin their wheels.  "Ambitious", "hungry", "relentless" are NOT words I would use to describe Tim Leonard.

For those of you who do know him, please tell me if I am way off base with my observations and instincts.

18 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Could not agree more with the majority of the comments on this topic.  I gave up on Skerry about 2 years ago.  He is what he is as a coach......he's not going to improve anymore as a recruiter or as a player-developer.  I'm done critiquing his shortcomings, as they are many.

I am, however, going to start turning my attention to our Athletic Director.  Tim Leonard strikes me as an absentee AD who has fallen asleep at the wheel.

I would love to hear/see/read an interview with Tim Leonard where he addresses the current state of TU athletics.  I would love to hear him answer specific questions regarding the direction of the men's basketball team and football team.  I would love to know how he personally defines "success" for these programs and what he considers his responsibility in achieving that success.

I have never met the guy.  He may be the nicest guy of the highest integrity, which is fantastic......however, I get the impression that the guy is far too comfortable with mediocrity and the status quo.  Kinda feel like he's very content putting his feet up on his desk and collecting a nice paycheck while just watching the teams spin their wheels.  "Ambitious", "hungry", "relentless" are NOT words I would use to describe Tim Leonard.

For those of you who do know him, please tell me if I am way off base with my observations and instincts.

One of these days, I will finally interview Tim. He is a nice guy, but there’s no way he’s happy with the mediocrity from either program. He wouldn’t have pushed for changes in defensive coordinators twice and other assistant changes if he was happy with the football program. Now basketball, I’m not sure of his feelings. Giving any coach that kind of extension, even if they won a title, is bizarre.

He didn’t hire either coach so I’m sure he’d like the chance to pick one of them before he leaves or gets fired.

But everything starts at top. And it begins with President.

20 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I've met Time a few times, quick chats here and there, along with his better half. They are both very nice.  Unfortunately nice doesn't win games or raise money.  He obviously isn't happy with losing, and I'm sure is doing what he thinks is best, but he seems to be in over his head.  How it looks as though he defines success is; just having D1 programs (which alot of people on here are just happy with too), graduating student athletes (which is obvious) and stability among coaching staffs.  There have not been many changes among coaches since hes been here. I feel as though everyone, regardless of success, tenure, and position are just alittle to comfortable.

He's a nice guy who I wouldn't mind watching a game with, however he doesn't have the killer instinct to lead a winning athletic dept. 

i always liked Mike Waddell.  We were rock bottom when he took over....I remember his post around how much he hated the feeling of being a laughing stock come media day and how he was going to change that.  He tweeted.  He posted on this board.  He oozed with passion.  Wish we could bring him back......Guess he ruffled some feathers, but that's exactly what we needed. 

I know this isnt the same.. But just saw Miss St fired their football coach after 14-12 (2 seasons) w/ 2 bowl appearances. If only 

29 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I know this isnt the same.. But just saw Miss St fired their football coach after 14-12 (2 seasons) w/ 2 bowl appearances. If only 

Just think, if the Ole Miss kid didn't fake piss in the endzone, Ole Miss maybe wins the game and goes to a bowl. Matt Luke isn't fired and thus not at UGA. Lane Kiffin doesn't get the Ole Miss job. If he doesn't fake piss Miss State doesnt make a bowl game and thus doesn't lose the bowl game and maybe just maybe keep Joe around.. wild